Champions League Incentive 2016?

villa-revolution

The OP talks as if qualifying for the Europa League will then mean we're in the Champions League

Whilst this is good news, imo, because it does provide us with another route to the CL, it will also make the Europa league MUCH harder to win, because other teams will all be trying harder to win it (you'd think)

Whilst I don't doubt that us qualifying for the Europa in the next couple of years is a possibility, actually winning it and qualifying for the CL is a whole other kettle of fish.

It's a good move by UEFA, but make no mistake, we're still MILES away from the CL.

Edited by Stevo985

It is a positive move but we have been struggling to win a domestic cup for nearly 20 years now. I don't see us winning a European one for quite a while yet especially now a lot more clubs will be going all out to win it.

This news is probably more for Liverpool or Spurs at the moment.

What if both Europa finalists have already qualified for the Champions League like erm, Benfica and Chelsea for example?

If Chelsea came 3rd and won Europa League than Arsenal would take the 4th Champions League spot for England

Champions League football at Villa Park in 2016 now has real potential

Champions League football at Villa Park in 2015 now has real potential.

Win the League Cup or FA Cup next season and we qualify for the 2014-15 Europa League.

Win the 2014-15 Europa League and we qualify for the 2015-16 Champions League.

"The Champions League? You're having a Laugh! The Champions League? Your having a Laugh!"

Well, No. Actually I'm not. Apparently UEFA are confirming tomorrow that as of 2015 the team that wins the Europa League will be granted automatic qualification into the following seasons Champions League.

Not only does this supply a massive incentive for all those competing in that seasons Europa League Competition but it also instantly raises the profile & importance of our own domestic Cup competitions the league Cup & the F A cup because  they provide a route into the Europa League. Sometimes  you can even qualify for the Europa League too without actually winning the final itself because chances are your opponent has already qualified for the Champions League through having already finished in the top 4 of the Premiership.

Paul Lambert's Aston Villa project is currently in it's embryonic stages & qualifying directly for a Champions League spot via a top 4 Premiership finish in the next couple of seasons is possibly a shade optimistic though ofcourse not impossible. (With Aston Villa all things are possible)

However,  a top 6 finish or a domestic Cup success as described/ outlined above in 2 years time suggests that tomorrows eagerly awaited announcement surely means that Aston Villa Champions League 2016 is definitely not out of the question & therefore a more than realistic  possibility.

Sounds good to me.

Why the Hell not

It's actually a great decision by UEFA (gasp)...The Europa League now has a much better allure now. Too bad the rule wasn't in place when MON decided to lie down against CSKA

Yes a good idea, makes the Europa league have some value to it. Its would be nice to Villa qualify for the Europa league but it will be good too if a team like Swansea win it and take the place of an Arsenal or a Chelsea.

They won't make it straight knockouts as this would reduce the number of TV games. They should though stop the Champions League teams dropping in, this would also reduce the "already qualified via domestic league factor". Since it's inception I can only think of Atletico Madrid (last season) who won the cup and had NOT qualified for the Champions League via their own league anyway.

This competition still needs fixing.

They won't make it straight knockouts as this would reduce the number of TV games. They should though stop the Champions League teams dropping in, this would also reduce the "already qualified via domestic league factor". Since it's inception I can only think of Atletico Madrid (last season) who won the cup and had NOT qualified for the Champions League via their own league anyway.

This competition still needs fixing.

I agree supernova but at least it's a start. At least UEFA seem more open to idea's & trying to make the Europa League more attractive & appealing, not like the FA who have completely ruined the FA Cup which once was indisputably the worlds greatest Cup competition.

I agree also with posters who suggest that it is one thing to win a domestic Cup & qualify for the Europa League & another thing to actually go on & win it thus qualifying for The Champions League. However, just to re-iterate my original point, all things considered there is still no reason to suggest that under Lambert's vision & progress, Villa competing in the 2016 Champions League is not completely out of the question!

This topic would probably be better placed in "Other Football" since at the moment any link between Aston Villa and the Europa League is in the realms of dreamland.

Can't imagine that defence flourishing against European high fliers.

We were two games away from it this season against Bradford and Swansea. Of course, we buggered it up though.

This topic would probably be better placed in "Other Football" since at the moment any link between Aston Villa and the Europa League is in the realms of dreamland.

Can't imagine that defence flourishing against European high fliers.

We were two games away from it this season against Bradford and Swansea. Of course, we buggered it up though.

We were also two games away from relegation, so I'd rather concentrate on the reality of what we achieved.

To get into the Champions League by this route we would have to win the Europa League Cup. It is unimaginable that anyone might think we have the squad to come anywhere near that!

Â