My O'Neill agenda

BOF

While I find it hilarious that you rate your own importance so highly, my health issues mean I have nothing better to do than sit at home on the PC, so I will play along here...

Malc, quite simply put - when you post, like this article, and keep it straight, that is fair enough. At times you post like that and I agree with you, at times you post like it and I don't, and that, again, is fair enough. As I once said to Drat, it would be boring if we all agreed. Agreed? :yawn: :winkold:

My problem with you, and a couple of other posters, is the sarcasm, the sly digs, and quite frankly, what I can only see as deliberate attempts to wind people up.

Now that is fine, whatever, but if you can honestly read through your posts and claim that every time you add on at the end 'but I'm sure the messiah will get it right' or ramble on about 'organic growth', if you try to tell me that you are not deliberately winding people up, or for some reason appearing to have a sly dig at people then, quite frankly you are either a liar or delusional.

More than one time above you compare yourself to Drat and, while I have disagreed with him a few times - mainly about DO'L - I have no problem debating with him as he more often than not at least just keeps his argument to the point.

You on the other hand, for whatever reasons, be it a need for some strange little ego-boost or whatever, have a posting style that deliberately antagonises, and that is why you sometimes get blunt responses rather than a detailed argument back, as people can not be bothered with - what appears to be - the games you play. To be honest at one point it even crossed my mind that you might just be the saddest Blues fan in history, who's main aim in life was to wind up Villa fans. At least that would help me understand your reasoning a bit better.

Now if I'm going to get yellow carded or something for posting on the poster then fine, but this was an article about the poster so essentially it is the post I am posting on.

As for the Villa side of your point, well to me the combination of Doug Ellis and David O'Leary - and while yes, mainly Ellis, it is still very much O'Leary, in my eyes - left this club in a pathetic weakend state and on it's knees. It will take a long time for Randy Lerner, MO'N & co to build something that appears to have fully recovered from that. Do I think there are certain things that MO'N has done wrong? Yes. But honestly, I am not sure what much more people were expecting. I thought we would be doing a little better, but not much.

The greatest irony is I would probably have agreed with you on defending Gregory & Little, as I did it too. But to me David O'Leary was almost beyond defence, with the mitigation of 'Doug Ellis' aside. But with Martin O'Neill, I can not emphasise enough how much I wanted him to be the man who would take over, how much I never thought it would happen and how delighted I was when it did. Nothing - and I mean nothing - that has happened this season has changed my mind.

Now if things start to improve - as I believe they will - then hopefully all this becomes irrelevant and we can all enjoy being Villa fans. But whatever happens, hopefully you will just keep your debating to the point you are trying to make, rather than winding people up. If they do, I'm sure your - and their - internet experience will be a much happier one.

As for me, Malc, well if you keep it straight I will gladly discuss Aston Villa with you. If not, well I will leave you to it with nothing other than a little shake of the head at my end of the World Wide Web.

MON has to be judged at key points in the season. OK this is just me, but keypoint number 1 was the day before Jan transfer window opened to see where we had progressed, what we need and suchlike. Keypoint number 2 will be at the end of Jan to see if we have addressed these issues and Keypoint 3 will be at the end of the season.

Then how can you make a comment like 'he has done bugger all'?

He has already got rid of players who have no future at the club, possibly broken the clubs transfer record by bringing in a very promising young player after beating other clubs to his signature and has now just got rid of a striker who has failed at the club and brought in one who has a fairly big reputation and looks like he will fit into MONS plans alot more.

He is building his team and i think most fans are happy to give him time to do this.

You see, I am often accused of bigging MON up too much, and its just not actually true. like many things it is a perception.

I had really low expectations for this season, I was writing back in Septemeber that it was a write off.

other people presumably either thought MON was better, or overvalued our squad. these people will be dissappointed I guess, but I'm not, because things are happening pretty much as I thought they would.

If people express huge disappointement because they overvalued the ability of the squad then thats hardly my problem, but I will defend the manager if I see what I view as unjust impatient and immature criticism coming his way, or rather I will point out, pateintly, and repeatedly, that there is much work to do, for people not to set their sights too high too quickly, and to give the whole thing time to evolve and mature before making rash judgement calls

I know its difficult, but can we please keep personal comments on the author of the article out of this. He has written a piece on why MON is not above criticism, so as per forum guidelines, if you have nothing constructive to say, such as 'this is a waste of time etc etc', best not to say anything.

MON has to be judged at key points in the season. OK this is just me, but keypoint number 1 was the day before Jan transfer window opened to see where we had progressed, what we need and suchlike. Keypoint number 2 will be at the end of Jan to see if we have addressed these issues and Keypoint 3 will be at the end of the season.

Then how can you make a comment like 'he has done bugger all'?

He has already got rid of players who have no future at the club, possibly broken the clubs transfer record by bringing in a very promising young player after beating other clubs to his signature and has now just got rid of a striker who has failed at the club and brought in one who has a fairly big reputation and looks like he will fit into MONS plans alot more.

He is building his team and i think most fans are happy to give him time to do this.

Because so far we have done bugger all !! That comment as you well know was in response to one that said results were the thing to judge a manager on. Blimey you have been on VT long enough to know how that works.

Also again its all MON has done this and MON has done that which back's up a lot of the points made earlier. Its not FM/CM or the like, the ability to spend that big is as a result of the "team", not MON he is a part of that team.

And again you seem to fail to understand how people can judge performances at key points. I cant remember what you do for a job but think of it like anything in life rather than wait until its completed before you decide if its a success or a failure, make certain points where you can review.

I fail to see where anyone has said he shouldn't be given time, so again a point made for what reason exactly?