Stevo985

Gardening

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

Just picked my redcurrants.  Got 4.25kg, which at this morning's farmer's market price is over £50 worth.

Looks like a day of processing tomorrow.

Wow. What the heck you gonna do with that many - how much redcurrant jelly do you get through, Peter?

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

Wow. What the heck you gonna do with that many - how much redcurrant jelly do you get through, Peter?

Will decide tomorrow, but it'll include variations on jelly, eg chili jelly, redcurrant and lavender or whatever is to hand.  Maybe some coulis to freeze.  Freeze some currants as well.  Some pickled, to have with cold meat or paté.  Maybe try some as a flavouring for vodka, steeped with sugar for a few weeks to make a liqueur - I have some rhubarb vodka maturing, and this might be worth a try as well.  And this recipe for "shaken redcurrants" sounds like it would be good with something like plain yogurt.

Some of that will have to be given away, of course.

Should I ask Jezza for jam tips?

20190713_184817.jpg

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

He'smore likely to have a recipe for redcurrant fudge

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

He'smore likely to have a recipe for redcurrant fudge

We'll keep the redcurrant flying here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterms said:

He may have some left field ideas.

I’m mainly doting on runner bean plants, they’re doing much better than last year.

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

I’m mainly doting on runner bean plants, they’re doing much better than last year. 

Here's a couple of recipes if you want to ring the changes with the beans.

20190713_201551_001.jpg

20190713_201940.jpg

• Thanks 1

Picked 2.7kg of raspberries today.  Haven't finished processing the redcurrants.  Gooseberries look ready.  More raspberries need picking, there's still come redcurrants, blackcurrants, some blackberries are turning already.

I'm drowning under an avalanche of soft fruit.  Send help.

• Like 2

Here’s m’beans. There’s loads starting to form now

B76DC555-ADBA-4AE5-94C6-7DADFF273985.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Cardiff, today.

EAGixf9WkAI45DF.jpg

Edinburgh today.  I need a processing plant.  Freezer's full of raspberries, gooseberries...made summer pudding, coulis, the missus has made jam and up at 7 making blackcurrant cupcakes for work colleagues.

Spent yesterday largely picking fruit and taking to people, luckily discovered someone I know has been hoarding jamjars for no apparent reason and was happy to hand them over.

Bunch of foodies coming over tomorrow, so we can give them things based on what  we've grown, like artichoke salad, patatas bravas made with Shetland Blacks, fruit tarts, raspberry and white chocoloate tarts...and offer them jars of stuff to take home.

It's pretty full on.

What is surprising is how much produce you get from a small area, with no fertilisers or pestcides, making compost from food scrapst.  I really shows how much more self-sufficient  we could be.  The big caveat is it's ready when it's ready, you have to use it or lose it, and lots of people don't have anything like the knowledge our grandparents had about growing and preserving food.  That's an enormous shame.

20190722_204945.jpg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

Here’s m’beans. There’s loads starting to form now

B76DC555-ADBA-4AE5-94C6-7DADFF273985.jpeg

I'm told the more you pick them, the more they grow.  So let us know how you get on.  :)

• Like 1

you should see my plums

We've had a plum tree a good few years, just one of those one's you can pick up in a supermarket every now and again. To date, after several years I've had a single plum from it.

This year, I'm going to get dozens, if they ripen up in time. Right now, they're about the size of cherry toms and about as firm as walnuts. So fingers crossed they come to something in the next month or two...

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

you should see my plums 

That's the best offer I've had this year.  DM me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

you should see my plums

We've had a plum tree a good few years, just one of those one's you can pick up in a supermarket every now and again. To date, after several years I've had a single plum from it.

This year, I'm going to get dozens, if they ripen up in time. Right now, they're about the size of cherry toms and about as firm as walnuts. So fingers crossed they come to something in the next month or two...

Sounds good.  We once lived somewhere with an established Victoria plum tree, it was really prolific.

I'd like a damson tree.  Damsons are amazing, and much less easy to find in shops.  But in an allotment, space constraints and not putting your neighbour's plot in shade make it impractical.

We're not allowed trees on our allotment, council rules.

Though we did inherit an established holly and a decent sized goosebury that's woven in and around it. Council guy 'allows' them as they were already there, but quickly jumps on any new trees he sees planted.

We have an apple tree out the garden we grew from a pip one of the kids stuck in some soil in a cup in the greenhouse! I would never have believed a pip from a supermarket apple could possibly germinate. We now make apple cake from the apples grown from that pip (to return to your point about what food we can grow in small spaces).

• Like 1

Â