Gardening

Stevo985

7jwts.jpg

beetroot on the rise, raddish ready, spuds doing fine

new squash bed looks like a success, sweetcorn planted out, brocolli, broadbeans and cabbage all netted

peas and runner beans are happy, corgettes are going to be good

roma, pomodoro, plum and cherry toms all happy

first batch of garlic and onions nearly ready, leeks are tiny, no sign of the carrots

chillies and peppers still in the green house

only three cucumber plants - but how many do you need?

counted 5 frogs in the pond today, apple trees have apples growing on them

it's the nearest thing to keep fit I do anymore

Allotment or the far end of your 'estate'? ;)

Edit: no sign of the carrots.

Really? Only Chantenays but chucked them in just ten days ago and I've had to be out thinning them this evening.

Edited by snowychap

Allotment in the picture, but you can see it from my house so I was lucky to get it*. House has a decent size of flat garden, mostly lawn, that's where the apple trees and the pond are. Only set up the pond 14 months ago and it's going great guns and has cockney frogs (last year's tadpoles were imported).

Seriously nothing going on with the carrots for some reason, no matter how hard I stare there's nothing there. Trying out cabbages in the greenhouse between the toms this year following an accidental discover of this technique last year. looks to be going well.

* I say lucky, it was a wreck when we took it on, last person had been kicked off a long time before for, er, 'growing their own' and presuming the old guys around wouldn't know what it was.

Good luck.

Having my first go with a raised bed this year (just the square metre one). Looking good initially for carrots, beetroot, generic salad leaves, salad onions and courgettes.

Garlic is going great guns and so are onions now. Leeks getting themselves ready to go in to the ground in a few weeks (no greenhouse neither!).

Potatoes are doing really well in their pots (surprisingly so).

The black box at the foot of the greenhouse in the picture has 4 artichokes in it, they're probably going in the ground today.

First time we've done it so a bit clueless.

The bit of brick panelling at the far end is making it look a bit fancy - but yeah, that's the sort of garden I'd give most people*.

Makes cleaning up the daily cat shit a bit easier. With a bit of care at the joints, you're also responsible for your own rainwater run off rather than sending it down the street to flood someone else.

*being a conflicted fan of brutalism and loving the odd blank self finished concrete wall in stuff wot I've helped design. I've recently convinced somebody to strip out their naff neat and essentially fake plaster skim ceiling and leave the original concrete soffit exposed, showing the shut lines of the original build process, the bumps lumps and even timber indentations across a basically flat grey surface. Awesome in my opinion, she's hoping it'll grow on her!

Edited by chrisp65

• 10 months later...

Thought I'd uploaded more than one pic, but this seems to be the only one that made it to my imageshack account

This is what I have at the moment. As I said, half lawn, which is fine (although a bit yellow and weedy). It's the back half that is the problem and what I'll be addressing over the summer, I hope

20130526135540.jpg

THREAD NECROMANCY!!!!!

So, nearly a year after I said I'd do it, I've cleared the bottom of my garden.

I've gone from above, to this:

IMG_20140429_190438_zps5cecweou.jpg

IMG_20140429_190443_zps8fwifmub.jpg

IMG_20140429_190449_zps6xpu0eip.jpg

So it's tidy now, but looks a bit sad and bare.

What I need to do now is plant grass.

I was thinking of Rotavating and then laying down some weedkiller to kill off all the weeds and brambles and such that are lurking down there.

Then planting grass.

Any advice?

Weed killer wont work on bare soil, if you want to rotivate, get rid of the grass first, dig up up and skip it, then rotivate (cost about £80 to hire for a day) then put the seed down

Be carefuly with weedkiller, you may find that it kills EVERYTHING on the patch it is applied to and nothing will grow on it for about 6 months.

Go to wilko's and buy 2 or 3 boxes of their hard wearing grass seed (about £2 a box). Just chuck it down. You'll be surprised at just how easily it takes and starts growing. You can give it a light rake over to give it a better chance. No need to mess about rotivating.

I'd also invest in some new fence panels. Only about £12.50 from a proper woodyard (don't go to a DIY store, twice the price and half as good) and will make it look a lot tidier.

Oh yeah fence panels are high on the agenda. The ones down the left (on those pics) are fine, but the ones at the bottom are awful. I'll be getting some higher ones too to make it more private.

Cheers for the grass advice. I think I'll still rotivate. I need to do something to get rid of the weeds and stuff because it's a mess. If I just chuck grass seed down then surely the weeds will grow anyway?

Also need advice on th ebest way to make my grass green instead of yellow!

Seems like you need some of this stuff.

medium_1_017287_evergreen_complete_lawn_

Evergreen is the number one selling brand of lawn care in the UK and offers complete treatment of your lawn, killing weeds, moss, feeding the lawn and with its unique Watersmart formula helps your lawn resist heat, drought and other stresses. Evergreen complete is easily applied from April to September using the spreader or by hand applying evenly over 100m2.

Oh yeah fence panels are high on the agenda. The ones down the left (on those pics) are fine, but the ones at the bottom are awful. I'll be getting some higher ones too to make it more private.

Cheers for the grass advice. I think I'll still rotivate. I need to do something to get rid of the weeds and stuff because it's a mess. If I just chuck grass seed down then surely the weeds will grow anyway?

Also need advice on th ebest way to make my grass green instead of yellow!

where do you live stevo? I do fencing

Â