Pre Season games annouced.

R.I.C.O.

A nice trip to Germany is on the cards this summer with the traditional trip to Walsall revived again:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-announce-pre-season-summer-3866430

Paul Lambert has used his German connections to arrange Aston Villa’s pre-season tour this summer.

Villa will play three matches during an eight-day stay in Germany, while four domestic friendlies at Wycombe, Luton, Crewe and Walsall have also been announced.

The club are also hoping to finalise details of two more practice matches, one more away and one at Villa Park.

Lambert, a Champions League winner with Borussia Dortmund, still has many friends and contacts in Germany and has previously held training camps there with former club Norwich.

Villa will return for pre-season training on July 1.

They jet off to Germany on Sunday, July 7 and come back on Monday, July 15.

Villa will face SV Rodinghausen at Häcker- Wiehenstadion on Wednesday July 10 (7pm), SC Paderborn at Benteler Arena on Friday July 12 (6pm) and VfL Bochum at Rewirpowerstadion on Sunday July 14 (3.30pm) – all local times.

On Saturday, July 20 (3pm) they travel to Wycombe. They face Luton away on Tuesday, July 23 (7.45pm) and head to Crewe on Friday, July 26 (7.30pm) before visiting Walsall on Wednesday, July 31 (7.30pm).

I always like it when we take over the Bescot. VfL Bochum should also be a good game, are they still in the 1.Bundesliga?

Enjoyed the games away at Burton, Peterborough, and Forest at the start of this season, so will have to look at going to these ones too.

I had almost given up hope on home friendlies - the last one we had was MONs final game v Valencia, right? There's been something going on that has prevented a match the last few years - concerts, Community Shield. I presumed we wouldn't have one this year cos some shite band is played there.

Edited by hogso

I always like it when we take over the Bescot. VfL Bochum should also be a good game, are they still in the 1.Bundesliga?

They're in 2. Bundesliga.

And thanks more to the failings of others, they will just about still be in the 2.Bundesliga next season (does that sound familiar? :)).
  • Like 1

We play Walsall every season don't we? It's a pre season tradition.

Not every year. I think we were there last year but there was a three year gap back to 2008 where we didnt play them for some reason.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

Is there any particular reason why we aren't playing any teams from the 1. Bundesliga? I would've thought if you're gonna go overseas, wouldn't it be better to play a first division team in that country? Better practice?

We play Walsall every season don't we? It's a pre season tradition.

Not every year. I think we were there last year but there was a three year gap back to 2008 where we didnt play them for some reason.

Last time we played there was last season's pre-season, so July 2011. It was McLeish's first game in charge. I remember it, because there were actually chants of 'Alex McLeish's Claret and Blue', believe it or not. I personally did not join in.

Â