Please be quiet Milan

BOF

by GMVillan

GMVillan is not sad to see the back of Baros and tells us why...

Apparently Milan Baros was approached in the players tunnel by Jose Mourinho after the recent Chelsea game. He claims the move didn't happen because a certain winger wouldn't go the other way.

In an interview with the Czech Daily Sport referenced here by TeamTalk, Baros says "Just after the game in the tunnel he told me that he wanted me to join the team and asked me if I was interested. I told him so. But it did not happen in the end."

Sounds a little far-fetched to me, considering that this would surely constitute an illegal approach (Ed - Chelsea definitely don't do them). But if it is true then surely it would have happened, regardless of Wright-Phillips' personal thoughts? (I have to say that I don't think Chelsea had any intention of letting SWP leave while Cole remains unfit, and these rumours are a product of press/media opinion but that's beside the point).

I think that Baros' abject failure at Villa Park to produce any semblance of goal-scoring form has led to him babbling to anyone who will listen (the British press unfortunately) while trying to justify his existence.

From the same interview, to make such comments as "[Villa] are close to the bottom again" is ironic, as he was bought to score goals, which would of course have propelled us into a better league position. I realise he is not singularly to blame for our lack of goals last year, but he had a job to do and simply failed to do it. This despite a change of manager and an upturn in form for virtually every single player in our squad this year. Baros was simply the exception, as he continually failed to produce.

One of the things that this kid can learn from Randy Lerner is to let your actions do the talking. It's ironic that we have heard more from Milan and his agent in recent months than we have ever heard from Mellberg, Barry, Lerner or McCann on any subject. What does that tell you?

Despite the constant chat, here is an individual who has, in less than three years, gone from being one of the most revered strikers in Europe, to playing in a league that is well-known as a second-rate, 1 team Scotland-esque place to play. A league where Tony Cascarino was a success and Houllier's Lyon are running away with the league title !!

Part of me wishes Mr. Baros well, but an even bigger part says good riddance to a player who epitomised everything that was wrong with the past three years at Villa Park. Overpaid, overrated, and a work-ethic that makes Nigel Callaghan look like Des Bremner. We need players who will put the work in.

I hope we get that with Ashley and John...

one of the most revered strikers in Europe,

Can't say I agree with that.

I think after Euro 2004 he was. GM was talking past-tense when he said that.

.....It all sounds a bit sore to me and I think the lad has let himself down.Sometimes players just don't work out ...sella vie, don't suppose he will be the last

As for us.....I'm just moving on and looking forward to the new recruits.

He can't be that badly thought of if both Mourinho and Houlier wanted him I'd have thought

I think Houllier wanted him because Houllier originally discovered him.

I think Mourinho wanted him because he knew under the current climate he wouldn't have been backed and did it to prove a point. Probably cynical on my part but that's what I think - I don't think he actually really wanted him.

I think it proves what an idiot Houllier actually is tbh. He's managed him and still thinks he's a decent player, even though when he left Liverpool, most fans fell into one of two camps, the "thanks but you weren't very good" camp or the "Well he'd have been OK as a sixth striker but we're not that bothered either way" camp. He suffered from the same lackof form as he did at VP for large periods of his time at Liverpool and the fans criticisms were much the same as our own, Head down, cant look uo, falls over way too much (and his diving is usually REALLY obvious - he's not even that good at it) and his strike rate isn't that good.

I agree with BOF Mourinho was just playing games

I think Mourinho wanted him because he knew under the current climate he wouldn't have been backed and did it to prove a point. Probably cynical on my part but that's what I think - I don't think he actually really wanted him.

MON has even suggested that to be the case Brian

very glad to see the back of him

he has talent but much like tony daley (going back a bit i know)

he just doesnt know what to do with it until its too late

Carew, IMO of course, is a far better player

we definately got the better of that deal!!

(looks around praying not to prompt a jinx)

This despite a change of manager and an upturn in form for virtually every single player in our squad this year. Baros was simply the exception, as he continually failed to produce.

I'd go far as to say he got worse. Even less interested than he was 12 months ago and I didn't think that possible.......

Â