Most Important Villa Goal Of 2012-13?

villa-revolution

The N Zogbia free kick against West Ham. It was a goal that all but secured our first win of 2013 in the league and started the run in which we have won 5 crucial games.

I like this topic.

I think the most important one is Gabby's winner against Norwich. Just purely because it got us to the  40 point mark and eventually safety. Was at work that day and on my break when Gabby popped up with the winner and I just danced around the staff and lapped it up.

I think in a close second is Benteke's winner against QPR for the first '6 pointer' of our season which kickstarted our terrific end of season run.

Lowton vs. Stoke. As a turnaround goal, I'd say Benteke's goal against Newcastle. Stupidly. It was a consolation and a penalty but it started the fightback in the season. We went to Everton and were the first side in ages to score 3 past them at Goodison and we should've won. Beat West Ham, then onto Reading QPR Stoke Sunderland Norwich etc. That was the turnaround. We could've and should've got something against the Geordies in that game and that was a short while after the Bradford 2nd leg and Millwall.

As for Lowton's, it was a winner, got us our first ever win at the Brittania, first league win in Stoke for 30 years, was goal of the season, and was late in the game after a gutting equaliser.

The N Zogbia free kick against West Ham. It was a goal that all but secured our first win of 2013 in the league and started the run in which we have won 5 crucial games.

Exactly what i was going to post.

It was our most crucial win for me, ergo the most crucial goal

I think the sheer spectacle of Lowton's goal had an effect on fans and players that made the Sunderland 6-1 possible (including Vlaar's opener - would he have attacked that loose ball with such authority before Lowton's example? I hadn't seen him do much of that previously). The difference between a nervy 1-1 at Stoke and a 3-1  with those 2 late goals is huge. A season worth's frustration was released in that shot.

Still, I'm going with Gabby's equaliser vs QPR - they should have been out of sight and instead we went in level. Ever since that game I was convinced we'd stay up.

Sely for us I say Lowton against stoke. Such a crucial goal at a crucial time.

For both teams in the game I say Gabby's against qpr. They were on a good run before that goal but after that game they fell off again. And we gained confidence and started our good run.

For both teams in the game I say Gabby's against qpr. They were on a good run before that goal but after that game they fell off again. And we gained confidence and started our good run.

I agree Pelle & with other posters that Gabby's goal against Rangers scored against the run of play was extremely crucial & a massive goal. It gave us a foot hold in that game that gave us the platform to go on and win. However, had he not scored we would still have had 45 minutes to turn it around.

However, the goal that ultimately killed QPR & absolutely knocked the stuffing out of them was scored by Shaun Maloney in the last minute at Loftus Rd.

Imagine, horrific as it may be, that Gabby hadn't scored that late goal at Norwich & how extremely nervous we would all feel this weekend going into a straight Premier League winner takes all showdown with Wigan.

No! It just doesn't bear thinking about does it? So that Norwich goal by Gabby is Priceless & therefore undoubtedly our most important Premier League goal of the season!

The one that encourged the loudest shout was Lowton's. I had no chance holding it back! If it wasen't for that moment of brilliance I think chances are we would have lost that game.

I agree Pelle & with other posters that Gabby's goal against Rangers scored against the run of play was extremely crucial & a massive goal. It gave us a foot hold in that game that gave us the platform to go on and win. However, had he not scored we would still have had 45 minutes to turn it around.

However, the goal that ultimately killed QPR & absolutely knocked the stuffing out of them was scored by Shaun Maloney in the last minute at Loftus Rd.

Imagine, horrific as it may be, that Gabby hadn't scored that late goal at Norwich & how extremely nervous we would all feel this weekend going into a straight Premier League winner takes all showdown with Wigan.

No! It just doesn't bear thinking about does it? So that Norwich goal by Gabby is Priceless & therefore undoubtedly our most important Premier League goal of the season!

A few points, though. One can't overestimate how import an equaliser against the run of play in the 44th minute is psychologically. It was heartbreaking for them, a real, real booster for us. I think we'd lost if Gabby hadn't scored that one, but that's of course impossible to say. But a loss that day and a win for qpr would've been a disaster for us.

On Gabby's goal against norwich, well, of course it was important too. BUT, had he not scored that one we'd still be 3 points above wigan and with a few goals better goal difference meaning they'd need to win by at least two goals. Nothing impossible, but still the upper hand for us. So, that goal was important for our survival, no doubt, but probably even more important to our hearts. :-P

Lowtons came at a time when we again looked like we might lose to a very late goal, but he stepped up and scored a great goal which kept our momentum and our confidence. Even increased it, I'm quite confident to say.

But all this is just semantics. I mean, there are very few goals we've scored this season that we could've been without. :) I'd say that even in the 6-1 win against sunderland every goal was very important. Not for the result itself, but for the moral and confidence boost.

This topic reminds me that there have been enjoyable moments this season :)

Matt Lowton's at Stoke just felt massive at the time, having just been pegged back. It's not very often we've got late winners this season, and that win brought Stoke and one or two other teams firmly into the relegation mix, giving us confidence we could get out of the mess we were in at the time.

I'm going for Gabby's second at Norwich. If Lowton hadn't scored his we might be down but I think the same could easily be true (albeit we might still have a lifeline) were it not for beating Norwich. Hitting 40 points that day with a late winner, in a game that took us past all those teams, was huge and put us crucially out of reach of anything bar a full-on Wigan miracle.

On top of all that, imagine doing that to Sunderland and then dropping two points to a Grant Holt penalty.

A few points, though. One can't overestimate how import an equaliser against the run of play in the 44th minute is psychologically. It was heartbreaking for them, a real, real booster for us. I think we'd lost if Gabby hadn't scored that one, but that's of course impossible to say. But a loss that day and a win for qpr would've been a disaster for us.

On Gabby's goal against norwich, well, of course it was important too. BUT, had he not scored that one we'd still be 3 points above wigan and with a few goals better goal difference meaning they'd need to win by at least two goals. Nothing impossible, but still the upper hand for us. So, that goal was important for our survival, no doubt, but probably even more important to our hearts. :-P

Lowtons came at a time when we again looked like we might lose to a very late goal, but he stepped up and scored a great goal which kept our momentum and our confidence. Even increased it, I'm quite confident to say.

But all this is just semantics. I mean, there are very few goals we've scored this season that we could've been without. :) I'd say that even in the 6-1 win against sunderland every goal was very important. Not for the result itself, but for the moral and confidence boost.

Once more I find myself agreeing with your post Pelle in so much as that every goal scored is important in it's own way. But has stated  Gabby's goal is surely the most important one of all this season.

Ultimately though Pelle, it is as you say purely down to semantics.

Best was Lowton's, for sure. Most important, however, was probably Gabby's equaliser at QPR. Though we'd improved a lot in the Reading game, we knew it would be worthless if we didn't get 3 points against QPR. We did, though, thanks to that goal.

Â