Most Important Villa Goal Of 2012-13?

villa-revolution

We all know that the single value of a goal whether it goes in jammily of your backside after tripping up over your 2 left feet (copyright Emile Heskey) or whether it screams into the top right hand corner from 35 Yds out still only counts as one.

However, some goals are so crucial that it is almost practically impossible to quantify & evaluate their overall importance to the team & to the club itself.

I'm not talking about the quality here either because this  season we have witnessed some truly fantastic goals. My top 3 would be Matty Lowton V Stoke, Benteke v West Brom & Weimann away at liverpool.

More importantly I am talking about the timing of the goal & what it means in the overall context of the match & it's later overall implications.

So for me it is a toss up between Matty lowton's fantastic late strike at Stoke which gave us further momentum & belief versus Gabby's dramatic late, late winner at Norwich which took us to the crucial 40 pt mark & practically rubber stamped our Premier League Survival.

So - All things considered - I just have to come down on the side of the Gabster because just how priceless was that goal at Stoke in the overall greater scheme of things to the future of our great, great & famous old football Club?

To highlight my point the winner of the Championship play off final between Palace & Watford is reputedly worth a minimum £120M to the winner.

We have scored  45 Premier League goals so far this season...............surely none more crucial than  Gabby Agbonlahor's?

Loads really, this is similar to moment of the season thread is it not?

For me, either Benteke's header against Reading at Home. Horrid performance, scraped a win.

Gabby's header at home to QPR just before HT. To come in at 1-1 after that rat performance must have made Lambert's talk a lot easier.

Lowton vs Stoke for me.

Purely because it reminded me that even in the face of desperation and despair, I could still be made to jump out of my seat and run around like a loon by Aston Villa :)

Early Season

Clark against Newcastle, assisted by Barry Bannan. Gave us our first point of the season. Crucial to get the young team, slated by Robbie Savage, off zero points, following two straight defeats to West Ham and Everton. Followed it up with a win at home against Swansea.

Mid Season

Weimann against Liverpool, assisted by Benteke. A world class goal that showed a glimpse of what the team was capable of doing. Defeated Liverpool, our biggest scalp of the season. Alan Hansen never showed up on MOTD. It was great.

Late Season

Lowton's against Stoke. Out of nothing, against the run of play after Stoke had equalised after Charlie Adam was subbed on. Gave the fans, and probably the players too, a lot of self-belief that we could not only hold on but win late - a trick we repeated against Norwich three games later. 

• Like 1

Early Season

Clark against Newcastle, assisted by Barry Bannan. Gave us our first point of the season. Crucial to get the young team, slated by Robbie Savage, off zero points, following two straight defeats to West Ham and Everton. Followed it up with a win at home against Swansea.

Mid Season

Weimann against Liverpool, assisted by Benteke. A world class goal that showed a glimpse of what the team was capable of doing. Defeated Liverpool, our biggest scalp of the season. Alan Hansen never showed up on MOTD. It was great.

Late Season

Lowton's against Stoke. Out of nothing, against the run of play after Stoke had equalised after Charlie Adam was subbed on. Gave the fans, and probably the players too, a lot of self-belief that we could not only hold on but win late - a trick we repeated against Norwich three games later. 

I love the way you have thrown assists into the equation just so you can type 'Barry Bannan' (who is shit).

• Like 2

So many really, Benteke vs Swansea was also important as it stopped the rot.

Edit and when I said Benteke I ment Weimann.

Edited by Oaks

Gabby vs QPR (if I had to pick one)

We'd just beaten Reading, but had yet to really find our form. We were playing pretty poorly against a QPR side that for a while looked like it was getting the Harry Houdini effect (sorry guys :P ) and suddenly that goal came from nowhere. Completely changed the confidence with which we played our football, although how much that was down to the goal is debatable I guess, as always.

I'll go with Benteke at Reading. This was the 1st of our many relegation 6 pointers and wed gone 1-0 down. We go straight down the other end and score and immediately take all the momentum. Had we not done that and they'd had a little time to settle on their lead, who knows? Hitting back right away gave us confidence, we went on to win and then continued that form for a while.

Â