Financial implications of survival / New TV money

danceoftheshamen

Because of the new financial dispensation it was absolutely imperative that we survived this season. Relegation would/ could easily have set us back 10 years. The margins in football are so fine it is frightening, especially when you are staring into the abyss of a 46 game Championship & witnessing what has happened to Wolves & how in just 20 seconds Leicester saw the gateway to heaven smashed firmly in their faces.

Right now I'm just totally overwhelmed with relief & glad that the answers to the questions that you pose lie firmly with the Board who hopefully now can propel this project further.

No one really knows what the owner is thinking. He might spend or he might pay down out debts (to himself)

True - but his paltry attendance record, would suggest that we are not going to blow serious amounts in the transfer market. The best I am hoping for is that Lambert gets what he had last close season. The fact there was no cash when we were in such dire straights over christmas, should bring everyone down to earth.

No one really knows what the owner is thinking. He might spend or he might pay down out debts (to himself)

True - but his paltry attendance record, would suggest that we are not going to blow serious amounts in the transfer market. The best I am hoping for is that Lambert gets what he had last close season. The fact there was no cash when we were in such dire straights over christmas, should bring everyone down to earth.

Though you could argue that Lerner was unwilling to add anyone to the wage structure in light of the high possibility of relegation. We all moaned about Lerner at the time, and rightly so, but I'm glad we didn't take the QPR route, for obvious reasons.

The long and short of it is, though our collective relief at what Arsenal did for us last night - some things do need to change at the club to prevent a similar showing next term (or worse). It should be an exciting summer - let's hope the club/owner WILL deliver.

Fortunately - though our challenge anywhere near the top of the table is most likely to be stifled for a long time to come, we still live in an age where anyone can get to a cup final and win a cup. Sadly, the last time my club won the FA Cup for example, I was not alive and TV was black and white. The second longest (if not longest) run of seasons without a major trophy in our history? By the time of the next FA/League cup final in this country, it will have been 18 years since our last major trophy success - so anyone born on the day we beat Leeds in the League Cup Final of 1996 will be legally allowed to drink alcohol. That really is a long time.

Randy... Make it so.

Let's try end 11th so we get an extra £3.75 mil in prize money for this season first.

Then focus on Benteke signing a new contract, then go about finding buyers for Given, Bent, Hutton and Ireland.

Then we'll have a cleaner slate to work with. We can bring in absolute quality in Center back and get a left back too. Work from there, some guile in midfield would be welcome too.

As for the new TV money, it'll be paid in installments with the final one including prize money for final position.

This shouldn't hinder transfers as it's standard to pay half up front and half after 12 months.

Whether Lerner decides to reduce his loans to the club and by how much will be the crux of the matter. He has obviously lost interest but as it stands he cannot hope to sell AVFC at a price that will cover his loans.

But we have to remember that all the other PL clubs will be getting the same windfall, so transfer fees could become even more stupid. However Lambert has set out his stall - he will continue to buy young players with potential at low wages from the lower leagues and abroad, improve the contracts of key players and hopefully add a couple of experienced/quality players to improve the backbone of the team.

As I said elsewhere IMHO Lambert has to play a long game and it will be 3/4 years at least before he can hopefully do a Dortmund. The extra money is important but I would be very surprised if he gets more more than £25 million and expect it to be around the £20m mark again.

Surely it'll just be a case of 'as you were' financially speaking with increased wage and transfer fee inflation? So a transfer that would've been say £7m and a salary of £1.5m last year will this summer be £9m & a salary of £2.5m?

Edited by Corcaigh

Surely it'll just be a case of 'as you were' financially speaking with increased wage and transfer fee inflation? So a transfer that would've been say £7m and a salary of £1.5m last year will this summer be £9m & a salary of £2.5m?

Not if you are buying from a forign league.

Maybe I misunderstand but how as per your example can a near 30% lift in the transfer fee (7>9) and a 65%+ increase in salary (1.5>2.5) be 'as you were'

If that was the case we and loads of others will be in dire straights.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

Unless they jack up the prices after this went through. Probably not gonna be a problem in the start but eventually it will lead to a shift right? Has to.

Unless they jack up the prices after this went through. Probably not gonna be a problem in the start but eventually it will lead to a shift right? Has to.

Yeah, it will filter down but premier league clubs will be able to out muscle domestic rivals (even more than usual) when bidding on players from France and the Dutch league. Most prem teams could even outbid most Italian and German clubs for players now.

The great thing about the new TV deal is that it probably suits us more than most Premier League clubs given that we seem to be buying almost exclusively from lower leagues and abroad under Lambert.

Maybe I misunderstand but how as per your example can a near 30% lift in the transfer fee (7>9) and a 65%+ increase in salary (1.5>2.5) be 'as you were'

If that was the case we and loads of others will be in dire straights.

I mean 'as you were' in the sense that the club will be getting more money now then last year, but that increase in income will be offset by an increase in transfer fee's and salaries.

I think one thing we might see this year is a particularly bumper January transfer window throughout the league. The TV money trickles in throughout the season I believe so mid way through the season you could see a lot of teams spending some a bunch of that to secure their place in the league.

OK so we are safe!.. :hooray:

Of course this is fantastic news but what does it mean financially for this club now? Just how much will we get from the new tv money incoming? & also with FFP having been passed through (although apparently now in the courts?) even though we have this new found wealth..just how much can we spend? Indeed how much will Randy allow Lambo to spend? Then there is the fact that some of the big contracts which have massively tied up wages will be ending so surely it's all great news isn't it?!

More questions than answers really & with most of us being caught up in working out the worse case scenario's if we got relegated i don't think we have allowed ourselves much time to speculate on what happens now we have survived!

It is great news compared to the alternative.

Don't forget though its a relative windfall - (all clubs get it) - so it doesn't give us any more financial muscle.

You could also argue argue that a proportion of it will be used to reduce the clubs debt - which seems more of our owners focus, than investing in players, staduims etc.

FFP - only applies to clubs competing in europe. Its easy to get around if you want to - legally I would be 90% sure it would fail a 'restraint on trade' test. - If clubs want to invest huge some in players thjey will - those that don't will use it as an excuse not to.

FFP applies to the Premier League now as well as the Football League.

Â