How Many Summer Signings?

maqroll

New Signings  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How many new signings will Villa make this summer?

• More Than 7

Not sure if Mallorca have taken up the option on Hutton but Makoun is a done deal to Rennes this summer. With Petrov retiring and Dunne, Lichaj and Marshall all out of contract and Dawkins loan ending the squad could be pretty threadbare before we even start dreaming of saving on the wage bill by offloading Bent, Given & Ireland. I'd chip in that now might be the time to get rid of Delphouneso, Albrighton and Holman if we can. While all that's going on Baker, Bannan, Clark, Gardner, Herd, Weimann and Ireland all have one year left on their contracts.

A centre back, left back, central midfielder and left winger seem essential additions to me. But we could also do with reinforcing the reinforcements - cover for Lowton at RB if Hutton leaves, another GK if Given goes, another Striker if Bent goes. Add another option at CB, RB and LW on top of all that and i reckon the squad would be healthy looking. I'd offer Lichaj and Dawkins a couple of years as the RB/LW other options if they would fit in with a sensible wage structure so assuming Lambert does, my ideal scenario would then be:

OUT: Petrov (ret), Dunne (free), Marshall (free), Makoun (I think we're getting £2.5m for him), Hutton, Ireland, Holman, Delphouneso, Albrighton, Given, Bent.

IN: 1st choice: CB, LB, MC, LW + back up: GK, CB, RB, ST

Not sure if Mallorca have taken up the option on Hutton but Makoun is a done deal to Rennes this summer. With Petrov retiring and Dunne, Lichaj and Marshall all out of contract and Dawkins loan ending the squad could be pretty threadbare before we even start dreaming of saving on the wage bill by offloading Bent, Given & Ireland. I'd chip in that now might be the time to get rid of Delphouneso, Albrighton and Holman if we can. While all that's going on Baker, Bannan, Clark, Gardner, Herd, Weimann and Ireland all have one year left on their contracts.

A centre back, left back, central midfielder and left winger seem essential additions to me. But we could also do with reinforcing the reinforcements - cover for Lowton at RB if Hutton leaves, another GK if Given goes, another Striker if Bent goes. Add another option at CB, RB and LW on top of all that and i reckon the squad would be healthy looking. I'd offer Lichaj and Dawkins a couple of years as the RB/LW other options if they would fit in with a sensible wage structure so assuming Lambert does, my ideal scenario would then be:

OUT: Petrov (ret), Dunne (free), Marshall (free), Makoun (I think we're getting £2.5m for him), Hutton, Ireland, Holman, Delphouneso, Albrighton, Given, Bent.

IN: 1st choice: CB, LB, MC, LW + back up: GK, CB, RB, 

We'll see a few signings indeed, with lots of players leaving. We got caught out this season with injuries, especially in defence, so I'd imagine there to be a lot of activity this summer. 

I think the bare minimum we will see come in will be 4 or 5, as we have people retiring/contracts up/deals agreed elsewhere.

IF we can get rid of some of the deadwood (Ireland, Hutton, etc.) then I see the number of signings increasing.

ive said 7 as i think thats what we need

Gk - to be second choice and cup games, and siegrist as third

LB - as starter, with bennett or stevens as back up, the other sold

CB1 - to partner vlaar

CB2 - to partner the other CB when vlaar is actually injured

RB - as back up, although id like to see donacien promoted, would save money

AM - sell ireland, bannan to replace with better

CF - seeing as bent is leaving, we need a back up target man, bowery isnt the one

as for wing forwards to back up gabby and andi, i think nzogbia and albrighton will be fine

I went for 4 but am thinking 5 may be more appropriate now. Can see us signing for sure:

- CB - Maybe James Chester

- CM or two - Maybe Luke Murpy/Liam Bridcutt

- AM - Someone from a foreign league

- CF - Young player to replace bent/delfouneso. Maybe Dwight Gayle?

Can see that being about £15 million which is about right.

I think we'll bring in 5. I'm sure 2 will be bought to go straight into the first team (a centreback and a defensive midfielder).

The other 3 will be bought to add backup to other positions, probably a left-back, an attacking midfielder and a striker to cover Benteke (thats if he stays!).

The outgoings will be far greater though. There is a huge amount of deadwood in this team, at least 4 players are being released and a fair few others will be sold.

You've then got all the worthwhile players like Weimann, Baker etc who are out of contract next season and I think this will be a very busy summer indeed.

its not a question of how many,its a question of the quality..we all know whos going off the wage bill etc, i hope PL is ruthless & gets rid of players who just are not up to the level..ie would PL chop clarke/dunne/given/ireland & buy 1 quality player in lescott.

bannan/herd/fonz/stan(ret) get malumbu

its not a question of how many,its a question of the quality..we all know whos going off the wage bill etc, i hope PL is ruthless & gets rid of players who just are not up to the level..ie would PL chop clarke/dunne/given/ireland & buy 1 quality player in lescott.

I'm not sure you've grasped how PL operates. 

I'm not sure you've grasped how PL operates. 

why that fella? what im saying is the players listed above are in a bracket of "out" ..take their wages off the books then insted of buying 8 of same quality..buy 3 quality players.

upon consideration, id like to change what ive said

in previous months ive said id prefer to see clark at LB, i think he would be better there, so with either bennett or stevens as back, that would save us money towards gong towards a better CB (idealy abdoulaye ba)

so id say 6 players coming in

Paul Lambert says Aston Villa will not make any big summer signings

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has warned the club's fans not to expect any major signings in the summer.

"Those days have gone."

He added: "We have stripped it right back. We want players who are hungry. I look at players with character, not those who just want money."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22556883

I think Lambert could very well be ruthless, could see quite a few out.

Makoun's already gone.

And then possibly Given, Bent, Ireland, Delfouneso, Hutton, Bannan, Dunne, Holman.

So that's ten players if you add Petrov.

Albrighton, Carruthers and Herd may go, even out on loan? 

I'm not saying any of this is definite but I wouldn't say it was impossible.

Don't know what will happen with Dawkins or even N'Zogbia, just not sure whether if a good offer came in for him, Lambert may sell.

So, even though Lambert has said we're cutting back, I still see him creating spaces in the squad he'll want to fill.

I hope we get three experienced players at centre half, left back and in the middle, to challenge current players for their place and also teach them, that would fit in with the hunger Lambert wants to see in his players, just experienced players want coin.

I think we brought eight in before the season (Holman wasn't Lambert's) so that's why I'm thinking there'll be quite a few, just, like I wrote the other day, they may well be (Or start off as anyway) Young and hungry squad players.

I think Lambert could very well be ruthless, could see quite a few out.

Makoun's already gone.

And then possibly Given, Bent, Ireland, Delfouneso, Hutton, Bannan, Dunne, Holman.

So that's ten players if you add Petrov.

Albrighton, Carruthers and Herd may go, even out on loan? 

I'm not saying any of this is definite but I wouldn't say it was impossible.

Don't know what will happen with Dawkins or even N'Zogbia, just not sure whether if a good offer came in for him, Lambert may sell.

So, even though Lambert has said we're cutting back, I still see him creating spaces in the squad he'll want to fill.

I hope we get three experienced players at centre half, left back and in the middle, to challenge current players for their place and also teach them, that would fit in with the hunger Lambert wants to see in his players, just experienced players want coin.

I think we brought eight in before the season (Holman wasn't Lambert's) so that's why I'm thinking there'll be quite a few, just, like I wrote the other day, they may well be (Or start off as anyway) Young and hungry squad players.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there 8pints - Good Post

• Like 1

Â