2013/14 Season Predictions

MikeMcKenna

Stoke look at the end of the road to me - they tried to change there style to be more 'footballish'  - failed and had to go back to the big welly - WBA look to have run there course as well.

But lets not kid ourselves, we have loads to do to be top half -

If Lambert sorts the defence and tightens it all up then I'd love to see some full on attacking formations. I know he played 3 at the back this year and it didn't go so well but when you have Gabby, Weimann and Benteke up front it makes sense to play offensively.

Like I said, tighten up the defence and play something like a 3-1-3-3 with the DM covering in a CB position when we don't have the ball (I actually think Clark would do well here).

Like this http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=l32t

It would also mean we'd flood the midfield when in possession and would be capable of bombarding a defence with attacks. Obviously this would all depend on the quality and form of the players next year.

I'd like to see us in a top half finish and it's possible since there's such a big shake up at the top of the table next year. United could have a shocker for all we know, City as well. Everton could struggle without Moyes and Liverpool will probably have another some good some bad season. Like someone else said Stoke are looking like they're done, Fulham might struggle unless they get off to a flying start. They really counted their eggs to early this year with the 40 points and that could have cost them.

Looking forward to crazy season over the summer and the start of 13/14!

On the '1'. Where has the sweeper gone? Or the anchor man? No, not him. I suppose anchor is kind of a 'CDM' now (where Makelele would be the archetypal exponent of it), but the sweeper (see Lothar Matthäus) has disappeared from the modern game.

This is how we should play

And I seriously could see Lambert giving this a go.

"Without risk there is no genius"

Edited by 8pints

On the '1'. Where has the sweeper gone? Or the anchor man? No, not him. I suppose anchor is kind of a 'CDM' now (where Makelele would be the archetypal exponent of it), but the sweeper (see Lothar Matthäus) has disappeared from the modern game.

The reason it's gone is because of the offside rule changes since 1990 starting with the "in line" with last defender change to the recent enough, inactive rule change.

Stoke look at the end of the road to me - they tried to change there style to be more 'footballish'  - failed and had to go back to the big welly - WBA look to have run there course as well.

WBA just had their best year in prem history. And a couple more wins for the Villans would've been top half this year.

Edited by Rovers13

I could definitely see seven or eight. I think it'd be tough for you to break the big six (feel like Liverpool will finally have a decent year and it will be six in champions league contention), but with a great manager and some more brilliant signings, Villa can definitely be the team that replaces Everton in pushing the top six.

If we can keep benteke and play the kind of football we've been playing of late plus add a few sighnings then I can deffo see us finishing in the top half, for some strange reason I'm excited for next season as I think were gonna be an exciting team to watch, with the right signings who knows what we can do but keeping benteke is a must, let's get off to a decent start next season and play some good football and villa park will be near enough full for a lot of games, syllia will shine next season and also westwood will also be one of our star men, add to that benteke weimann nzogbia just to name a few I think we might surprise a few people next season but we'll see, be great if we could get bent going again

Have you not seen the league table? We're not far off top half NOW.

In a season where we started games with no fewer than 5 players with no Premier League experience (Tekkers, Vlaar, El Ahmadi, Lowton & Bennett), plus throughout the season, bringing in Westwood & Sylla.

We lost 8-0 to Chelsea, heavily to Man City, battled moneybags QPR and the escape artists Wigan.

Not to mention the fact that we had high earners Dunne, Given & Ireland on the bench.

Despite all that, we've still finished within a few points of top half. How can you think we have loads to do?

Keep the players we use, sell the players we don't, bring in a few additions and let the team continue gaining experience and I can see us comfortably finishing top half and away from the relegation battle.

Also! I think people will underestimate our team of youngsters, lower league no-names & foreigners. They're all concentrating on Benteke & Weimann, they won't see the 'next Benteke' bitchslap them in the crotch!

Over to you Paul!

Do we though?

It's not out of the question that we could finish 11th or 12th this season.

We could even finish level on points with the team in 10th if we beat Wigan and other results go our way.

Regardless, even in the worst case scenario I don't think we can be more than 6 points off 10th.

I'm not saying we don't have to do anything. Obviously I'd love to see us do a lot.

But I really don't think the gap is that huge. Especially when you consider how we've finished the season. If we can carry on playing like that going forward and avoid the first half of the season we had last year, we're already a mid table team.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â