2013/14 Season Predictions

MikeMcKenna

Cannot forget the defensive displays we have shown this season, even of late when we have been "great" seemingly. Not a clean sheet in ages, that is not just down to poor defenders. I would rather win a game 4-2 than 2-0 everyday, but that won't work as we all know.

Next season is down to investment and Benteke. Hopefully we will sell the players Lambert has a problem with, and to be fair they all deserve better. Many people will be fooled by our recent success, but a season lasts for 38 games and you have to compete from the start. We cannot just take our recent games and multiply them with three and getting 5th or whatever. That is Liverpoolnomics all the way.

With the right amount of investment and with the right amount of successful purchases, as well as Benteke staying and the other players developing, then we might have a chance of top 10 next season. I do however not believe that we will go into a new relegation battle :) We will have learned a lot from this season, and unlike Wigan we have learned how not to get into another scrap.

Like others have said, we need to keep Benteke. I also hope we keep the rest of the forward line too. Buy a couple of solid defenders and at least one more decent midfielder and I would think we would on course for a top half finish.

Sorry but unless we learn to see out games, hold leads, and generally get much better in defence - next season will be much the same as this.

For the first time - I think the answers are as much on the training ground - as they are in the transfer market.

Never like to tempt fate, but I totally disagree. We finished the season a much better team and while I accept that we need to strengthen the hard experience gained this season will serve our youngsters very well for the future.

Which youngsters are they ? - The 24 year old Clark\Bannan ? - or the 22/23 year old Bennett\Lichaj ?

Hope your right - but I don't see a 2 month break changing the performances of those players very much.....if at all.

I see and hope for continued progress, Lambert now being able to spread his wings a bit further and better place his imprint on the club. Safe midtable and the youngsters growing in confidence and ability would be just fine for me.

Sorry but unless we learn to see out games, hold leads, and generally get much better in defence - next season will be much the same as this.

For the first time - I think the answers are as much on the training ground - as they are in the transfer market.

Never like to tempt fate, but I totally disagree. We finished the season a much better team and while I accept that we need to strengthen the hard experience gained this season will serve our youngsters very well for the future.

I totally agree Mike.

Been a massive learning curve this season for players and manager and they will all be much stronger for having come through it. Some of those young lads have took some real kicking's but not once have they tried to hide instead they have dusted themselves down and come back stronger helped by the fact the manager has backed them to the hilt and never wavered. Strong characters have been molded this season.

Next season can't come round quick enough for me. The areas that need strengthening are there for all to see and I trust Lambert to do it.

I can see us finishing top 10 comfortably.

Edited by markavfc40

Top 10 at least. Lambert has unearthed gems in Lowton, Benteke, Sylla and Westwood and I trust him to do the same again this summer. Despite all the drama and stress of the last few months the improvement in the team has been evident, and with an average age of 23 the future is bright. 

Sylla, Westwood and Delph need an older head in midfield and a Lescott type centre half will allow Clark and Baker to develop without the pressure of being automatic choices.

One thing is for sure, we'll certainly finish above the Boggies. I'm looking forward to next season.

Priority must be to hold on to Benteke and other new comers like Lowton and Westwood who have been a revelation. Next season is about keeping the momentum of the last few months going and improving on the defence and midfield. 

If Lambert can sort out the defence with two additions and a couple more in midfield we should certainly be aiming for a top half finish. I'd even hold on to Bennet as I think he has been improving and has shown recently that he can indeed improve further. In fact a proper pre-season and some individual coaching could make the world of difference.

Edited by Niall
  • Like 1

Which youngsters are they ? - The 24 year old Clark\Bannan ? - or the 22/23 year old Bennett\Lichaj ?

Hope your right - but I don't see a 2 month break changing the performances of those players very much.....if at all.

I have accepted that we need to strengthen, but cannot see how you cannot accept that we finished as a "much better team" - IMHO we can look forward with more confidence and sincerely doubt that we will anywhere near as bad next season. I have supported AVFC too long to get carried away but am much happier than 4 months ago

If we can hold on to Benteke and make some useful additions who knows maybe top 6/8. If West Brom finish 8th this season,  I certainly think we're at least as good as they are.

26 points dropped from winning positions, i thinks its safe to say that if we sort that out then we'll be fine next year

benteke is obviously the key

just need a spine IMO, replace petrov with an experienced CM and get someone in alongside vlaar and i think the rest will fall in to place, i think 2/3 experienced heads in there and then some of the players who have looked wobbly at times will pick up a bit and gain some confidence and wont be as high priority on the replacement list

If we keep Benteke we'll never fail to score goals. What really concerns me however is the defence. If Lambert can add a quality experienced central defender to paly with Vlaar and a strong defensive midfielder we'll do much better. We need a good defensive coach too to iron out Baker, Clark, Bennett and Lowton's howlers. If we get those sorted there's no reason why we can't fnish higher up the table.

Â