Whew! Villa is safe

Marka Ragnos

I also think too much emphasis is being put on the Arsenal Wigan game.

At the end of the day we had the points. We got really good wins against all of the teams around us from February onwards.

Wigan had to match it. They couldn't.

We've been on an encouraging upward curve I would say since half time vs Newcastle at home.

All it does is go on about the past.

But the past is interwoven with the present , ie. financially we are looking at big write downs on Darren Bent, Given, Ireland, Hutton etc etc

Despite a couple of years of austere cost cutting measures, we're probably still looking at X rated accounts

He does talk about Lambert (the present) extensively eg. His signings being hit (Benteke Lowton ) and miss (KEA Bennett). I don't think he's said too much wrong tbh.

He makes some valid points in the article, but as all journalists he tends to stretch the points to get interest in his article.

There is no denying that We have had a pretty diabolical season by our own standards. The Christmas period followed by the Cup exits was the lowest I have felt about Villa for some years. It was humiliation after humiliation, and we were a laughing stock to all of the fans at other clubs. We should however take great encouragement from Benteke's season, and the green shoots that were starting to appear throughout the rest of the squad towards the end of the season. However, those green shoots will mean nothing if we have another season languising around the bottom half next season. We need to keep hold of Benteke, we need the players to grow again next season, and be supplemented by other better players.

We should definitly be aiming to finish the season comfortably in the top 10, and maybe an outside cahnce at a push for a Europa spot and that will be a succesful season imo. I know a Europa spot seems very unlikely at the moment, but there is a chance as some of our competitors in the league will/may also have some upheaval in their own camps. Everton have lost Moyes, so may fall back into our clutches. Spurs could lose Bale, which could bring them back towards us, maybe not enough to go past them them but you never know. I am starting to feel a little more optimistic about our chances, and the players and management should do to.

I almost wouldnt want Europa football. Not just because of all the Thursday / Sunday games but more importantly unless you have a great squad like Chelsea it basically **** a club up domestically and there is no financial incentive at all

I almost wouldnt want Europa football. Not just because of all the Thursday / Sunday games but more importantly unless you have a great squad like Chelsea it basically **** a club up domestically and there is no financial incentive at all

Yeah and Europa League is a joke, if they'd really care for secondary cup/tournament then there wouldn't be anykind of group-phase and certainly not losers from Champions League and up the prize money to something more reasonable.

True the Europa is a double edged sword, in that it does tend to hinder clubs with the extra games that it brings, but on the flip side you usually have to have been relatively succesful to qualify for it in the first place. It also brings some extra glamour to the club if not money, which in turn makes us a more attractive proposition to players looking to join or sign up long term. They do need to review the format of it though, especially as the rewards do not come close to that of the Champions League.

Yeah and Europa League is a joke, if they'd really care for secondary cup/tournament then there wouldn't be anykind of group-phase and certainly not losers from Champions League and up the prize money to something more reasonable.

Off topic I know, but the two major European competitions are both as daft as each other to be fair.

Last season, Chelsea won the Eurpean Champions League (spawny bastards) having qualified for the tournament without actually winning the English Premier League - besmirching the very name of the competion... 'European Champions League.' It isn't the 'European Rich Clubs Domain Shut Out Club Trophy.'

Then this season, Chelsea (really don't like them) won a tournament for which they didn't actually qualify - other than by association of being failures in the competition they had originally entered. And they want Rafa out?

What a crooked safety net of money European football has. Better to be in it, and I would love for us to be involved in it. Unlike boobs... better in than out...

And John 'word removed' Terry (he knows what he is) - frauding his way into the post match winning photographs, Chelsea shirt blazing... What an utter fraudulant 'word removed.' For the second season running as well...

Edited by Raver50032

just done the bbc prediction,  and have us staying up

Nice one Richard... I actually had a nightmare last night where Aston Villa got relegated, having actually beaten Wigan up there, but not by a sufficient margin to secure safety. Benteke amazingly missed a last minute penalty by taking it from the half way line. The referee failed to spot the error and waved play on.

United won 3-0 at Albion.

And I woke up. Need to lay off the Disoronno.

To get to a Europa league final is an extra 18 games + a final so 19

We really don't need that at this stage . Ideally we can bypass Europa and jump straight to CL in 2014/15 season

Top players and ambitious players wan't to play in Europe, if not the CL then the Europa League. Players also like to play matches and you learn a lot from facing teams from other leagues. I don't think it was a coincidence that our season imploded after MON opted to field a reserve team against CSKA Moscow and we crashed out. And then the players started to leave...

Being seen on tv in europe is attractive to sponsors and it's also a free way to scout other teams and players.

Yes it's strenuous on the squad but the upsides more than way up for it

Give me european cups any day

Edited by sne

There were moments in the season, I was convinced we was down.

The trials and tribulations of "we shouldn't be in that situation" is another debate....fact is, we was.

It took some massive performances and subsequently results to turn that around, showing at times top of the table football.

For me, it says a lot about the Character PL is building within the club....and the style of football, with improving defending is sustainable to acheive. its plausable to win trophies with his brand of football.

improvements considered of course.

He makes some valid points in the article, but as all journalists he tends to stretch the points to get interest in his article.

There is no denying that We have had a pretty diabolical season by our own standards. The Christmas period followed by the Cup exits was the lowest I have felt about Villa for some years. It was humiliation after humiliation, and we were a laughing stock to all of the fans at other clubs. We should however take great encouragement from Benteke's season, and the green shoots that were starting to appear throughout the rest of the squad towards the end of the season. However, those green shoots will mean nothing if we have another season languising around the bottom half next season. We need to keep hold of Benteke, we need the players to grow again next season, and be supplemented by other better players.

We should definitly be aiming to finish the season comfortably in the top 10, and maybe an outside cahnce at a push for a Europa spot and that will be a succesful season imo. I know a Europa spot seems very unlikely at the moment, but there is a chance as some of our competitors in the league will/may also have some upheaval in their own camps. Everton have lost Moyes, so may fall back into our clutches. Spurs could lose Bale, which could bring them back towards us, maybe not enough to go past them them but you never know. I am starting to feel a little more optimistic about our chances, and the players and management should do to.

as they say you can never be sure of anything in football, but I would be a lot more concerned if the performance from the first half of the season swapped with the second half. which is what has more or less happened to Albion.

At least it looks like we are progressing as opposed to regressing.

Â