Whew! Villa is safe

Marka Ragnos

I had lost the faith at one point and thought we would go, think it was after the Wigan loss but can't remember. I'm delighted we have stayed up and hope we continue to progress at the rate we have shown in the last few games.

Even with no additions to the squad, I don't expect us to be fighting relegation next season.

That 3-0 defeat to Wigan was horrendous, that's when I voted that we would go down. Thankfully I was wrong.

Newcastle home defeat for me. Since then - 20 points from 13 games.

Not that I'm not excited but Villa is or Villa are?

Are.

As I suspected ;)

Carry on :)

Both are correct.

'Is' refers to a singular which can be Aston Villa FC and 'are' refers to a collective, as in Aston Villa the group.

Nevertheless, in football parlance my good man, surely the convention would be to use the collective term?

Thread title change now we say. Onward to thread title change and freedom!!

• Like 1

Are.

As I suspected ;)

Both are correct.

'Is' refers to a singular which can be Aston Villa FC and 'are' refers to a collective, as in Aston Villa the group.

Nevertheless, in football parlance my good man, surely the convention would be to use the collective term?

In England it's 'are'. Period.

• Like 2

"Villa is" v "Villa are" is Ameriglish v English where sporting entities are treated as singular franchises or as a collective group of people. In essence both are 'right' or acceptable.

Elated we're up, I really had confined myself to thinking we were meant to go down having won ALL the 6 pointers and still not been safe.

I do find the abuse towards Savage a bit short sighted, as much as people might hate him...it's not like we've massively avoided going down, perhaps by 8 points come Sunday, but, in all honesty, most of us were terrified until about 2115 last night...it's been a close call!

I can't wait to enjoy the wonder that is the final day, only to feel depressed as Match of the Day finishe and I realise I have to find something else to do until August!

Edited by AVFCAM

Are.
As I suspected ;)

Both are correct.

Nevertheless, in football parlance my good man, surely the convention would be to use the collective term?

Phew! I mean ... Whew!

Annnnndd relax.

Absolutely ecstatic! After having such a terrible season (but also some fantastic moments/goals), the fact that such a young, inexperienced side have managed to fight their way through is brilliant. Hopefully next season, Lambert will stay true to is word and build something special here. The foundations are there, lets come back next season with a **** bang!!!

Now we sit back and watch Andi & Chris sign new deals. Sorted.

Ha, Chris Herd maybe, but if you mean Benteke then I think that's wishful thinking on our part.

If Dortmund are interested then he'd be mad to sign a new contract with us before listening to their offer and any other offers from Champion's League clubs.

I'm not sure we'll hold onto him, and if we do then it'll be Lambert putting his foot down rather than Benteke committing his future to us by signing a new deal. I hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by Ginko

Phew, I feared the worst when I saw that Wigan had equalised just before HT on the BBC Live text. I couldn't bring myself to watch. I did flick on the match though just as Carzorla was crossing the ball in for Walcott to poke home the 2nd goal, that was fantastic, although I still couldn't watch until I got a text saying it was 3-1, then I put it back on and Arsenal made it 4-1 and I could watch the match stress free. :D

Onwards and Upwards now, we cannot afford another season kicking around the bottom of the table. We need to start moving up and aim for top 10 next season as a bare minimum. Hopefully we are now heading in that direction, and with a few additions to the squad it should be achievable.

Phew, I feared the worst when I saw that Wigan had equalised just before HT on the BBC Live text. I couldn't bring myself to watch. I did flick on the match though just as Carzorla was crossing the ball in for Walcott to poke home the 2nd goal, that was fantastic, although I still couldn't watch until I got a text saying it was 3-1, then I put it back on and Arsenal made it 4-1 and I could watch the match stress free. :D

Cool-Dog-Hey-Cool-story-bro41.jpg

;)

• Like 1

Â