Sky TV packages

Pongotastic

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Waiting list apparently. Cost's seem cheap, but........................

You pay for the TV per month, plus Sky subs and even though the TV has Dolby Atmos and UHD they even charge extra per month for that??

I know someone who has it, not all subs and costing him £159 a month, he's got some doe himself, but that's crazy money

Years back when I couldn't get a decent deal, threatening to leave etc, they let me go and I found that the sky box doesnt record if not subscribed, I couldn't watch anything that I'd kept on it either, favourite films etc, I wonder if this will be similar and after the all the investment you are reluctant to leave and they have then got you over a barrel, as moving will cost the price of a new TV to start with. Scumbags.

If Sky rolled out TV via cable like Virgin they’d be onto a real winner, nobody wants a dish. They’d have subs going through the roof.

They’ve partially don’t it but then massively limited their customer base. It’s a strange marketing strategy.

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

If Sky rolled out TV via cable like Virgin they’d be onto a real winner, nobody wants a dish. They’d have subs going through the roof.

They’ve partially don’t it but then massively limited their customer base. It’s a strange marketing strategy.

They could just sub the Sky streaming boxes, or better still just through a subscription app. Why they have gone the TV route is beyond me, an don't seem like great marketing as you say. Must be getting them TV's damm cheap is all I can think of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

They could just sub the Sky streaming boxes, or better still just through a subscription app. Why they have gone the TV route is beyond me, an don't seem like great marketing as you say. Must be getting them TV's damm cheap is all I can think of.

Why control just the product when you can control the means of delivery too

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

they let me go and I found that the sky box doesnt record if not subscribed

When I left Sky, I kept the box and for something like a fiver a month it kept the recording capability (for the FTA channels). I can't remember the name of the thing I subscribed to, but it was something like "Freeview from Sky" - it was cheaper than buying a Freeview box to record telly on. As an aside many modern TVs can record to a USB hard drive. My Sony could and my current Philips can, for example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

When I left Sky, I kept the box and for something like a fiver a month it kept the recording capability (for the FTA channels). I can't remember the name of the thing I subscribed to, but it was something like "Freeview from Sky" - it was cheaper than buying a Freeview box to record telly on. As an aside many modern TVs can record to a USB hard drive. My Sony could and my current Philips can, for example.

Didn't know about that but I'd already got a Freeview box. I try in on everytime same as others, you have to as the full price is ridiculous, slick as it is and it IS slick, it's too much. They should just make it a standard rate all in, everything £75 monthly and I think they would be inundated.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

They should just make it a standard rate all in, everything £75 monthly and I think they would be inundated.

43 quid a month I pay for Sky Q, UHD, Sport, Nature channels and entertainment channels. That's pretty much my upper limit of what I'd be prepared to pay. At £75 quid I'd eff them right off. I got that deal (with a free Q box) by cancelling and persevering with turning down worse offers from them....and being bored in lockdown.

To be fair Sky Q is a tremendous bit of kit.

Just now, blandy said:

43 quid a month I pay for Sky Q, UHD, Sport, Nature channels and entertainment channels. That's pretty much my upper limit of what I'd be prepared to pay. at £75 quid I'd off them right off. I got that deal (with a free Q box) by cancelling and persevering with turning down worse offers from them....and being bored in lockdown.

To be fair Sky Q is a tremendous bit of kit.

SkyQ is great apart from the price. I'm £69 with same package incl UHD (just bought an OLED, unreal quality) and have it in 3 rooms. Super fast fibre unlimited. 

Re deals, do you think if someone is paying £100+ they would not get my deal, same as I wouldn't be given your deal? 

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

SkyQ is great apart from the price. I'm £69 with same package incl UHD (just bought an OLED, unreal quality) and have it in 3 rooms. Super fast fibre unlimited. 

Re deals, do you think if someone is paying £100+ they would not get my deal, same as I wouldn't be given your deal? 

I take the point about just charge X amount for a particular package/set of packages - set a price and that's the price. But I guess faced with losing a customer paying (say) 600 quid a year completely, or letting that person keep the same thing for (say) 500 a year, it makes more sense to keep the person. Negotiation is age old and isn't going to go away, much as we might like the simplicity.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, blandy said:

I take the point about just charge X amount for a particular package/set of packages - set a price and that's the price. But I guess faced with losing a customer paying (say) 600 quid a year completely, or letting that person keep the same thing for (say) 500 a year, it makes more sense to keep the person. Negotiation is age old and isn't going to go away, much as we might like the simplicity.

They also have another balance to strike with their advertisers. They need to keep the viewing figures up to not upset the people sponsoring their content.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Right, time to renew and get a super duper deal, or I'm cancelling..............maybe. Anyone blagged a deal recently. Can't see live chat on the website either, hope they ain't done away with it, was the best way to blag that was.

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Right, time to renew and get a super duper deal, or I'm cancelling..............maybe. Anyone blagged a deal recently. Can't see live chat on the website either, hope they ain't done away with it, was the best way to blag that was.

Mines due end of Jan. current tv only package with sports, cinema and multi screen comes to £62. Best they could do was £65 so proceeding with cancellation and see how it goes.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv If you go down to yes I still need help message option will come up.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I looked into Sky Glass the other day, £895 (on top of the sun) for the medium TV (55” I think). 
It must be such a small market of people that need/want that specific spec of TV.

I think a lot of people will be downgrading their existing TV for a glass but if not the ones who are thinking of getting a new TV and already are sky a sky customer it could be good. Haven't looked into it, if it's 895 on top of you're package it's a no.

13 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I think a lot of people will be downgrading their existing TV for a glass but if not the ones who are thinking of getting a new TV and already are sky a sky customer it could be good. Haven't looked into it, if it's 895 on top of you're package it's a no.

Small (43”) is £649, medium (55”) is £849, large (65”) says coming soon.

You can spread the cost monthly which will appeal to some I guess.

I really want dishless Sky TV, but not glass. I have a feeling it’ll be available without the TV at some point, but when? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

Small (43”) is £649, medium (55”) is £849, large (65”) says coming soon.

You can spread the cost monthly which will appeal to some I guess.

I really want dishless Sky TV, but not glass. I have a feeling it’ll be available without the TV at some point, but when? 

It might come sooner rather then later based on glass prices, as you said small market.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Loxstock92 said:

Mines due end of Jan. current tv only package with sports, cinema and multi screen comes to £62. Best they could do was £65 so proceeding with cancellation and see how it goes.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv If you go down to yes I still need help message option will come up.

Mine ends in a couple of weeks and the phone, Internet and SMS advisors are all about an hour wait at the moment.  Pain in the arse.  I went to the Sky stall in town last week to try and sort it out but he couldn't do anything, my package is due to go up about £50 a month or so, albeit I got a new customer deal last time so not expecting the same terms.

I know alot of my pals have a fire stick. You get almost every channel including sports, might be worth going to the dark side. With utilities, bills are just rising everywhere costing a fortune

I think I will go cancellation and if they don't do me a amazing deal, go through with it.

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I know alot of my pals have a fire stick. You get almost every channel including sports, might be worth going to the dark side. With utilities, bills are just rising everywhere costing a fortune

I think I will go cancellation and if they don't do me a amazing deal, go through with it.

A good IPTV package on a 4k fire stick is as slick as anything Sky are going to provide you thats for sure.

• Like 2

Â