What is wrong with our defence?

Delphinho123

I can't pinpoint the exact problem. It annoys me.

Some games our defenders make mistakes and you can look back and say 'thats where it went wrong', but other games they all seem to do ok individually yet we still concede. I like Baker, Vlaar and Lowton as players yet something is very wrong.

Is it a tactical thing? Are they out of position too often? Or are they just not as good as I think they are?

Answers on a postcard.

Not just the defence though.. The midfield switch off at times and don't follow their runners meaning the defence have additional runners to mark. I'd also say we start to sit back, inviting pressure on ourselves. So yes there are individual errors but it's not just the defenders that let us down, even though I would put cb as our first signing

Lack of experience, and current ability. Possibly lots of potential there, but you can't have a back 4 containing 3 guys under 23 in the premier league or you're guaranteed a mistake or 2 a game

It depends what you mean by  " are they not as good as i think they are"

you have to value them by not conceding and they concede regularly, so it says it on the tin.

I'm  not sure if its not reading the game/situations well enough, lack of concentration or  inability to defend in general.

Against the top teams in particular its the movement that seems to kill us, we simply fail to track runners at crucial times and it usually results in goals against.

The lesser teams need more opportunities the top teams need less, because they convert more, so you can't afford to swich off.

Needs focussing on to improve.

I thought in general Sylla had a good game but was at fault for a 50/50 with David Luiz which resulted in there second.

yes individual errors need to be eliminated.

Is it a tactical thing? Are they out of position too often? Or are they just not as good as I think they are?

Answers on a postcard.

Have sent you my answer on a postcard as you request! Have sent it out 2nd class so that should be with you anytime soon once postman Pat finds his black & white cat & his tea break is over! ;)

If Lambert wants to play the full backs as attacking wing halfs, he needs to get someone better than Bennett. He's not fast enough at tracking back and he doesn't tackle well.

We also need a centre back with more self-confidence and experience in place of Baker/Clark. Both may have potential but neither is yet good enough to hold down a regular first team slot.. 

I agree as well with the comments above about cover from midfield. We need a better player or two there as well.

The 2nd goal yesterday was the fault of the midfielders. Sometimes the defence can't really do anything.

First goal too.

Sylla, Bennett and Delph caught in a straight line by our own corner flag. Can't do any defending there. Really weak defensive positioning.

ibv7QakxTBGNyK.gif

They must have been told to double team Mata/Hazard, who were both over there but they shouldn't have been caught out as badly positioned as that. Naive.

There is a whole catalogue of errors that means our defence is very, very poor. Some of the defending I've seen from us this season has been the worst in all my years as a Villa fan. You could pick faults with all of the defenders but the key things are that they have been four individuals for most of the season, they are young and naive, the leader (Ron Vlaar) isnt really a leader on the pitch and there are a fair few with little ability. The midfield havent helped at all especially when our favourite little scotsman has played but they have started to play as a unit which is more you could say about the back four.

If we stay up and then want to push on next season we absolutely need a new experienced centre back, a strong defensive midfielder and an experienced left back.

• Like 1

The second goal yesterday was down to a huge error from Westwood.  He was in the right back position for some reason, played a blind pass directly to a Chelsea player then he visibly panicked and decided to charge at the ball which meant he got in everybody else's way.  Stupid individual error. 

Thats why we need a proper shitkicker in the midfield who just gets stuck in, deals well with pressure and plays the simple pass. Westwood isnt the right kind of player for that role. I don't think we have a player like that anywhere in our squad (well we did until Petrov fell ill). They are all just too weak.

Organisation for me.

Granted there isn't a top notch defender amongst them - but they should be better than conceeding at least one goal in every game for the last 24 games - thats an appalling record. A lot of this should be sorted on the training ground - we need improvement, even with new players.

I remember a few years back - Albion were leaking goals left right and centre - In came Roy Hodgson - and within weeks the defence had tightened with much the same players. The answer to our defensive woes isn't totally about signing player x, y, z.

• Like 1

Concentration, simple as that. That comes with experience, Gary Cahill used to be terrible for knocking off and giving away an opportunity he has improved that side of his game markedly.

Delph knocked off to allow the 2nd on Saturday but was fabulous before that, these boys will learn.

Â