• Lichaj
    • Baker
    • Westwood
    • Delph
    • Sylla
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Weimann

Game completely ruined by that idiot of a referee.

Baker's tackle was fine, it wasn't reckless. 

Benteke's elbow wasn't anything, they were both jostling for the position, like what happens all the time.

Ramires' first was very soft. Maybe the only one deserving of a yellow.

Ramires' second was nothing. High foot that doesn't even make contact.

Benteke's second was again nothing. Just controlling the ball into his stride.

Shame really because it was a decent performance, it just would have been nice to compete with all 22 on the pitch.

• Like 1

Should've gone for it more early in 2nd half. They offered absolutely nothing for an hour and still get the win.

Ref was atrocious overall, but Benteke shouldn't have given him the opportunity to even it out.

All too predictable really, probably deserved a point.

Benteke was stupid, he could of had a red for the elbow, and the ref was always going to look to even things up.

Its going to take a lot to go wrong for us to get relegated now but until we cut out the errors and keep clean sheets next season is going to follow the same path as this season.

Said it to the people around me when benteke got sent off. Only an inept ref can lose control of a game that isn't dirty in the slightest. Completely ruined it.

In other news, John terry hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I just hope the Le Arse don't play pretty "walk it in to the net" footy for 90 mins & wigan go and do a smash n grab & win it 0-1.

Unlucky today from the boys. We played really well and also these few weeks have shown how far we've come as a team. Compare this to last year when we looked so uncreative and it was just dire. To the start of the season where we lacked bite up front and just seemed contempt in passing the ball slowly. To midway through the season where if we went a goal down, we'd lose the game. Now look at us, full of character, full of energy and a constant threat going forward. Its been a joy watching the Villa over the past few games.

On to the game, no complaints. I didn't think the referee was especially bad. As for the sending off, I think it was more on Benteke than the ref. It was stupid to try and control the ball like that, especially after Ramires got red carded for a high foot. But Benteke will learn, however he will be a big big miss against Wigan.

Thought we matched Chelsea for best parts of the game when it was 11 vs 11. We looked the better, more hungry side and deserved our lead. When Ramires got sent off, we looked comfortable and if Benteke would've stayed on the pitch it wouldn't have been a surprise if we beat them by 3 goals as they looked toothless. Benteke's red changed the game and from then on we looked second best.

Lambert should've maybe brought on subs as we did start to towards the end, but 10 vs 10 against Chelsea was always gonna be a tough ask to hold on.

Guzan 7 - Made a few good saves, nothing he could've done about the goals.

Lichaj 6.5 - Solid enough defensively. Going forward, he's a poor man's Lowton.

Vlaar 7.5 - Very good performance by the big man. He was concrete today.

Baker 7 - Maybe could've got tighter for the first goal? Other then that, he showed great maturity not diving in to any challenges especially after receiving a yellow in the first 4 mins.

Bennett 7 - Bright going forward, solid at the back.

Sylla 7.5 - Impressive performance by the big man, got stuck in and looked tidy in possession. I really like the look of him.

Westwood 7 - Kept things ticking over nicely and gave good enough protection to the back 4. Unlucky not to score.

Delph 8 - What a fantastic perfomance by Fabian. he was brilliant. Full of energy, penetrating runs and very tidy in possession. Was a threat, are we finally starting to see the bright youngster we paid 8 million for?

Weimann 6.5 - Hard working, movement off the ball is superb. Things didn't quite fall for him today, but he gave his all.

Agbonlahor 7 - Constant threat, his pace frightens defenders.

Benteke 7 - Great goal. General play was superb. However stupid of him to get sent off, tbf it was his stupid tackle which cost us the game.

A draw would have probably been fair but there you go. Still, a good performance, particularly by the midfield trio. 

Would have been nice to have our status wrapped up but we'll be fine. Even missing Benteke we are playing much better than Wigan at the moment and will be able to put out a much stronger side than them next week. Plus that's assuming Arsenal don't manage to get at least a point on Tuesday which I fully expect they will.

Edited by flamingsombrero

Why no **** subs when Benteke went off? It was crying out for Bent to be bought on, but no Lambert doesn't **** change it.

What, and go down to 9 men.....Good thinking!

• Like 3

As others have said Delph and Sylla were really good today and we looked the better side with 11 (even when they had 11 too) - I've not seen the sending off and you couldn't really see any sort of foul from where I was in the ground, but it sounds like he's elbowed him - it changed the game. 

Terry should probably have gone just before half time for the arm in the face of Weimann, but other than that I don't think there was a bad tackle in the game. 

Great to see Stan, disappointed in the defeat as we played well, hopefully it will mean nothing in the long term.

I think Lambert got it right on the subs - he could maybe have brought Bent on for Westwood and gone for it or Gardner on for Weimann and tried to hold onto what we had, but I thought our balance was reasonably good. They're better suited to ten than we are - Hazard and Mata loved the space.

Overall, there's a clear improvement in the side from the start of the season to now, and no reason why it shouldn't continue.

Terry's injury is good news for Chelsea, they've won the other final he missed and lost one becasue he missed so I'm sure they'll be happy with his absence - hopefully his injury won't prevent him wearing his full kit in readiness for any celebrations. Cock.

I thought Gabby looked good again and Baker continues to develop - Chelsea are much fancied, but we looked more than capable - today feels bad but bodes well.

said in the match thread the benteke / ramires high boot arent the same!

ramires - trying to win a bouncing ball at head height with his foot

benteke - trying to control a high ball dropping over his shoulder

Which was shown by the fact that Ramires got a straight red. Benteke got a second yellow

I was genuinely thrilled by our midfield at times today and I haven't said that in forever. I think there's a really special team emerging. Shame about the result but Lumptard is class and I'm glad we won't be seeing him for a while.

• Like 1

Great performance.

I have seen enough today to convince me that we are not going down. Chelsea had to rely on a corrupt referee to get anything from this game so if we can beat Chelsea legitimately like we did today then there is no way we are going down.

Our midfield 3 were absolutely superb today. Delph is looking like the player that had Leeds fans frothing at the mouth when we signed him, and goodness me again in Sylla Lambert showing he knows how to pick a bargain. I thought we were terrific today and Benteke's sending off a game changer. Delph our MOTM for me. We had chances but in the end when 10 v 10 their quality showed. Over to you Arsene.

And Lee Mason was absolutely shocking. Not once did he talk to a player about anything. instead weilding cards like it was christmas and not helping either team. A **** awful refereeing performance but they'll haul Lambert in front of the FA for slagging him off after yet won't question his diabolical display.

• Like 1

Just back from game , gutted we chucked it away .

Delph was superb though, seems to be getting better and better !

Chelsea are a superb side so we can take heart from this

Disaponted for sure, but not going to take too much away from the lads, as it was a really good performance. Most on here were predicting a thumping, but I think we were the better team when is was 11 v 11.

Sylla and Delph were fantastic today, but I think a special mention should also go to Bennett and Lichaj - both of whom were really solid.

Gabby had the pace to scare Chelsea, but was lacking the finesse to really hurt them. Same goes for Weimann, but hopefully in the close season with the pressure off, the coaches can do some work on the technical aspects of the game.

The improvement in the team overall is remarkable, and I'm sure we can take Wigan for 3 points next week.

UTV!!

Tut tut tut, Christian you silly boy! Cost us the match there! I'll forgive him, as he's been brilliant this season. On to Tuesday night. Wait and see what happens.

Â