Being a best man

NurembergVillan

I've done it several times and again this December.

Think my favourite, which went down very well was putting A, B and C cards under every chair and coming up with 10 'mildly embarassing' stories of the groom - following the traditional introductions, we then had 10 multiple choice questions based on the stories for which the room had to hold up the A, B or C cards before revealing the true answer.

It was very simple, took the pressure off and got the 'audience' involved.

They joke that a woman finds a man she loves for exactly who he is and then spends her life trying to change him. So let’s all raise our glasses and take a last look at the Groom. We’re gonna miss you, buddy!

Don't do this joke.

I've been to 12 weddings in my life (I think, off the top of my head), and I reckon this joke has been said in the best man's speech in at least 50% of those.

Edited by Stevo985

he was fetching his ageing aunt and was running slightly late but I couldn't tell her that as... well you can imagine

because you were Morpheus' best man?

You've just nearly killed me with laughter.

Look at what was number one in the charts when the groom was born and tell everyone but then make one up for the bride like pet shop boys "what have I done to deserve this" or if you're really brave something like 20 fingers "short dick man."

Can't say I agree with a lot of this. I've enjoyed most best man's speeches and I like it when they last a while and they've made some effort to put some gags in - not jokes as such but funny stories or comments. Remember, you're working a really easy audience who want you to do well and had a few drinks in them already.

Some interesting tips in here.  I've watched a load of footage on YouTube too to get some idea on gags and structure.

I'll probably just have one story about him and weave it around a few other lines.

Should start writing it down really...

I'm going to aim for 7-8 mins.  I reckon that'll be enough.

Find out how funny the father of the bride is. If he is going to entertain, don't try and compete. If, as was the case for me recently, he is a crashing bore, you're definitely on to a winner. He went for 55 minutes and basically showed all his favourite holiday snaps over the years, only some of which included the bride. It seemed like his mission was to show off how well travelled he was rather than say anything about his daughter.

After nearly an hour of that, I could have stood up, farted, sat down and everyone would have loved it. I did consider that but went for the PowerPoint option of picking 8 or 10 embarrassing photos of the groom and spending a couple of minutes talking about each one. To say it went down well would be an understatement but I suspect that was more to do with who preceded me.

Powerpoint of photos is fine. but don't do it all as a powerpoint presentation.

At one of my cousin's weddings the best man (another cousin) did it all as a powerpoint presentation. With bullet points and everything. it was the shittest thing I've ever seen.

And he started it off by saying "my powerpoint presentations usually look like this" and put up the front page of some presentation he did for work (@ Merrill Lynch)

Basically saying "look look! I work for Merrill Lynch!"

Moral of the story: it's not about you.

Best tip I have is that its not a character assassination - but its ok and expected to take the piss a fair bit.

Just be mindful that grannies will be there and they don't take well to sexual innuendo - unless they don't understand it! which I've seen often.

Couple of ideas I have seen work well

have  a football shirt made up with Mrs **brides name** and give it to the groom.

have a selection of suggestive and slighty amusing items in a bag under the table (mankini - handcuffs - feather boa - massive bong) and whilst commenting on the attractiveness of the bridesmaids, thank the ushers for making sure they didn't get too out of hand and claim said items were removed from the bridesmaids on their way into the church.

What do you do when asked to be best man and really don't want to do it?

I've been asked to do it twice and have refused on both occasions. If you're shy and introverted public speaking is the last thing you want to do. The first guy who asked me I'd known for around 5-6 years and when I turned him down explaining why I didn't want to do it neither he nor his family spoke to me again. It was taken as an insult but certainly not intended as one and while it's an honour to be asked should you not have the right to decline?

That's how I felt Morpheus, I felt pressured into doing it which I ultimately did but would much rather have said no.

I guess if they are a true mate then saying no really shouldn't be an issue.

Offer to do all the other bits bar the speech , you could also rig together some home video footage to talk around to limit your time under the spotlight ?

Both weddings are over and done with now and i didn't do either although the second friend was really understanding and nice about it.

It is an honour to be asked but refusing shouldn't mean the end of your friendship.

The wedding is at a proper castle so there are no powerpoint or presentations tools available.  My original plan was to create an X-Factor style montage involving interviewing the lads on the stag do plus his family etc.  Would've been funny.  Sadly not.

I don't think the father of the bride will deliver a long or sunny speech.  He's a fairly traditional Chinese guy and although I don't know him that well I can't see him suddenly turning into Jimmy Carr on the day.

I'm kind of inclined to throw a few good jokes in there but generally make it about what a great guy he is.  We've been best friends forever and doing a faux stitch-up doesn't really feel appropriate.

I would find it hard to do public speaking at a wedding and just knowing you have to try and be funny is very hard IMO.

My mate was suppose to do it for his brother before their wedding got called off. He 100% didn't want to do it and and Id feel the same, Id feel like people would be laughing at me, it brings back memories of school presentations which I avoided as much as possible. I would probably turn it round and go into the audience and start asking questions, put other people on the spot and not myself.

You need a few funny anecdotes that aren't too close to the knuckle and then just thank everyone and say how fit the bride looks

Assuming he's a villa fan you should be able to get some villa gags in

The wedding is at a proper castle so there are no powerpoint or presentations tools available.  My original plan was to create an X-Factor style montage involving interviewing the lads on the stag do plus his family etc.  Would've been funny.  Sadly not.

Surely you could sort that yourself? Only need a projector and laptop. Sound would be a struggle but at least you could show pictures

Â