Should Aston Villa retire the number 19 shirt as a tribute to Stan?

The_Rev

Should Aston Villa retire the number 19 jersey?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. In the wake of Stiliyan Petrov's retirement should Aston Villa retire the squad number 19?

• No
    • Yes
    • Unsure, but we shouldn't have a #19 next season.

No, I do feel if things like that were the case then the player should have had an massive impact, like maradona did for example. Stan is a great guy and I am glad to see him doing better but there have been others who have deserved it more. I really like the idea of 19th minute but I feel this would be a little premature. 

I am not totally against it but my vote goes to no.

Nope.

Life will go on and he is on the mend. He has the rest of his life to look forward to. Seems ott to retire the shirt. As a club we've supported him and will continue to do so but retiring a shirt number, no sorry not for me.

For me it would be a definite yes. Also, I believe this is the magnificent type of  gesture that Randy Lerner would give his full assent to because such a decision bears all  the hallmarks of Randy's humility & class.

I think people who are voting no are failing to take into account the sheer magnitude of the hell that Stan has had to go through in battling against this horrific debilitating illness. It's fantastic witnessing all the heartfelt encouragement for Stan in the 19th minute but it should not end there as it does for most people & I know for fact what a massive boost this show of support gives Petrov.

The bottom line is that all of us need to show 100% support of the support Stan Number 19 Campaign & whatever it entails.

Think of Stan!

NB (no hash tag on my computer keyboard)

Gotta say no.

A terrific bloke and a brave fighter through all of this but Villa legend he is not. He took a long time to settle and really didnt produce enough, often enough. He's been a solid player for us but on the whole, a little disappointing.

In no way should he have his number retired. It doesnt have a place in football because player shirts are generally 1-25 tops. In America they can choose from 0 to 99. Even if we did retire a players' number. There are about 200 player who would be ahead of Petrov. What has happened is a human issue, not a football one.

Yes.

On another note, has anyone noticed how we actually do the applause in the 20th minute for Petrov, not the 19th?

Technically yes it is the 20th minute however its obviously about standing up when the clock hits 19 more than anything else. It wouldnt make sense any other way.

I think we should retire Makoun's number. That jumper will never be topped.

I also think we should retire Bennett and Bannan's number's (that should keep them off the pitch until they figure out what we've done and their contracts run out).

• Like 1

Yes.

On another note, has anyone noticed how we actually do the applause in the 20th minute for Petrov, not the 19th?

Technically yes it is the 20th minute however its obviously about standing up when the clock hits 19 more than anything else. It wouldnt make sense any other way.

yes but one match we did it at the 18th minute which I found strange since we had been doing in at the 19th all along. 

No.

I've never been a big fan of this gesture. As others have said, there are better ways to pay tribute to him. The applause at the 19th minute is one, but setting up a leukemia charity and working closely with them would be a much better gesture than retiring a shirt.

If his number was 1-11 I'd be saying no, but as it's 19, and with the 19th minute applause becoming a part of the club recently, I think it would be a nice gesture.

I don't get this. Are you saying the number matters more than the significance?

Anyway I say no 19 next year, but I wouldn't retire it,

I know it seems a daft thing to say, but with 1-11 having been used since time immemorial and for the distant future, it's quite a loss, if you know what I mean. 19 isn't a 'core' number so easier to 'dispose' of.

I know it's illogical, hence me voting for the 'unsure' option :)

No. When the Witton End is rebuilt (?????) they should have 19 in the seats - like the AV is now. Or rename some other part of the ground to honour him

Edited by nevillain

Â