Should Aston Villa retire the number 19 shirt as a tribute to Stan?

The_Rev

Should Aston Villa retire the number 19 jersey?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. In the wake of Stiliyan Petrov's retirement should Aston Villa retire the squad number 19?

• No
    • Yes
    • Unsure, but we shouldn't have a #19 next season.

Yes - at least for next season as a mark of respect.  For the reasons Rev mentioned in his second post.

A top bloke, a  model pro who despite dividing opinions never IMO let the club down. The support for him this season has been immense.

If his number was 1-11 I'd be saying no, but as it's 19, and with the 19th minute applause becoming a part of the club recently, I think it would be a nice gesture.

I don't get this. Are you saying the number matters more than the significance?

Anyway I say no 19 next year, but I wouldn't retire it,

In a way it does.  Some numbers (typically 1-11) have been worn by lots of great players since shirt numbers were introduced in 1928.   Other numbers have less of a history because squad numbers are a more recent phenomenon.   

Since the introduction of squad numbers, the Aston Villa number 19 shirt has been issued to:

No player (2 seasons) 

Stefan Beinlich (1 season)

Graham Fenton (1 season)

Gareth Farrelly (2 seasons)

David Hughes (1 season) 

Richard Walker (1 season)

Bosko Balaban (2 seasons)

Liam Ridgewell (3 seasons)

Stan Petrov (6 seasons)

You could make a strong argument that Stan has made the number 19 shirt his own. The 19th minute tributes only add weight to that.

I understand what you are saying but whatever the number is my answer would be the same.

By the way I understand the whole West Ham and Moore retirement. He was a massive player that they probably won't replicate in the next 100 years.

No its a bit of a american thing isnt it?  Whoever wears it again needs to be a throughly good egg like stan though.

They do it in Italy as well..

Milan retired the number 3 jersey, and can only be worn by Maldini's sons..

Napoli retired number 10 jersey for Maradona 

Edited by AVFCforever1991

No its a bit of a american thing isnt it?  Whoever wears it again needs to be a throughly good egg like stan though.

They do it in Italy as well..

Milan retired the number 3 jersey, and can only be worn by Maldini's sons..

Napoli retired number 10 jersey for Maradona 

juve retired the 10 i think too

I understand what you are saying but whatever the number is my answer would be the same.

By the way I understand the whole West Ham and Moore retirement. He was a massive player that they probably won't replicate in the next 100 years.

I think the number has to have some influence. After all, would you really want to retire the number 1, or the number 9 for example ?

The West Ham one struck me as a bit of a cash grab.   The timing was odd (mid season, some 15 years after Moore died) and they weren't shy in knocking out "Moore 6" shirts for £40 on the day they made a very big deal about retiring the shirt which also happened to be a home game.  

They probably made an absolute fortune out of it, and for that alone I really question their reasons for doing it because it looked very cynical from my point of view. 

**edit**

More reading has revealed that Chelsea haven't issued anybody with the number 25 shirt since Zola left.  They haven't officially retired the number and they didnt make a song and dance about it like West Ham did.  Personally I think we should go down that road. 

Edited by The_Rev

For me yes, if only for a season atleast the number 19 has become so significant to villa since his illness and i just think its fitting that since he never got to wear it again it should be retired. Yes life goes on and whatever other points have been raised but it would be a great gesture.

I've gone for unsure.

It seems a bit morbid, but then so did the 19th minute applause and I think that's been a fantastic gesture.

I think I'll sway on the side of "no". But if it happened I'd fully appreciate it.

I said yes, but I reckon it would probably be better if like some of the other teams we just didn't give the number to anyone, instead of actually retiring it.

Edit: I've changed my vote to unsure.

Edited by packoman

Rather than some self gratifying gesture which doesn't do anything other than give us a sense of inner warmth, it would be much better if the club took positive steps to helps fight the illness - a % of season ticket sales going to a leukemia charity, a benefit match, lending weight to Stan's cause.

Retiring a squad number isn't going to help leukemia sufferers.

• Like 2

No! Appreciate Stan's service to the club, but to retire a player's number  he needs to have had an extraordinary impact on the club. 

Generally I hate the concept of retiring numbers. I much rather see players given the honor to wear the same number as past greats at a club.

YES

Not just as a mark of respect for what Stan has done, but surely as a mark of support for what he is going to do. 

A number of people have made the comment that he survived, move on. This shows a complete lack of understanding of the illness he has suffered and the harshness of the treatment he has undergone. Radiotherapy and chemotherapy are traumatic treatments that frequently allow the patient to survive the initial condition but so weaken the body and immune systems that fatal complications set in later.

Stan makes it perfectly clear that he understands this, 'Each and every day I thank God for giving me the opportunity to still be with my family' He is in remission but by no means cured or even 'safe'  and yet he has committed to set up a foundation to raise awareness and funds to help defeat this killer.

If by retiring the 19 shirt we help Stan, through publicity, fund raising etc then we, as a club should be honor bound to do it

Edited by greyvillan

Â