Biggest moment of the season?

Oaks

Lowton goal against Stoke is the real stand out for me. Not only was it a superb goal that turned the game but you could hear the "WHOOOOSH" of our season finally changing for the better. Stoke were easily containing us and maybe had thoughts of sneaking a late winner. Where would we be if we had drawn or even lost that game?

• Like 1

Has to be half time at Newcastle when we finally played with the right formation.

It was a huge turning point.

Before that moment we were going only one way and since that half time change we've looked a completely different team.

As some have said, there have been moments on top of moments all of which have got us to where we are now but the game which was the real turning point IMO is the QPR game and the moment of that game is undoubtedly Gabby's equaliser in 1st half stoppage time.

It's easy to forget just how bleak things seemed at the time but QPR were actually buoyant when they visited VP and there was a real sense that they could be putting a run together. True, we were coming off the back of the Reading victory with confidence returning but a defeat here would have shattered that, with QPR drawing to within a point of us with a victory. Our fragile form could have disappeared if we bottled this one.

And so, already 1-0 down and with half time approaching, Bosingwa smashes a free kick against the post and seconds later, deep into stoppage time, Lowton lofts in a cross for Gabby to nod home. QPR should by rights have been out of sight but instead we went into the break on a massive high. We came out rampant in the 2nd half and the rest is history.

Honourable mention goes to Benteke's winner in the same game (and Weimann's determined work to set it up) for obvious reasons but, by then, the Gabby goal had had its effect and we had gone from pretenders (optimistic but fragile) to the real deal (genuine belief that we could survive). By the time Townsend scored, we knew we could and should still turn the game around again.

There have been other massive moments since - notably Lowton at Stoke and Gabby's 2nd at Norwich - but they have only been possible (or significant) thanks to that monumental QPR victory which set us on our way.

Edited by conorm
  • Like 2

6-1 against Sunderland and the Next Gen victory

Moments that will define the history of the club? Nah.

We're talking about single goals that our Premier League status has literally depended on - Gabby against QPR, Lowton against Stoke.

6-1 against Sunderland and the Next Gen victory

Moments that will define the history of the club? Nah.

We're talking about single goals that our Premier League status has literally depended on - Gabby against QPR, Lowton against Stoke.

Didn't realize there was a right or wrong answer to this question, thanks for correcting me

• Like 1

"Biggest moment of the season" can be a positive or a negative answer.

In terms of impact or influence on our season and because it affected pretty much the next 8 games and 2 months, I would say our 8-0 defeat at the hands of Chelsea was the biggest moment of our season. We've spent the rest of the season trying to undo the damage of that 90 minutes.

• Like 1

"Biggest moment of the season" can be a positive or a negative answer.In terms of impact or influence on our season and because it affected pretty much the next 8 games and 2 months, I would say our 8-0 defeat at the hands of Chelsea was the biggest moment of our season. We've spent the rest of the season trying to undo the damage of that 90 minutes.

I would agree with that, there were several moments in that game. I still think Guzan at the end of the West Ham game. We couldn't get over the line after the Swansea, West Brom and Everton games that might have been the straw that broke the camels back.

As some have said, there have been moments on top of moments all of which have got us to where we are now but the game which was the real turning point IMO is the QPR game and the moment of that game is undoubtedly Gabby's equaliser in 1st half stoppage time.

It's easy to forget just how bleak things seemed at the time but QPR were actually buoyant when they visited VP and there was a real sense that they could be putting a run together. True, we were coming off the back of the Reading victory with confidence returning but a defeat here would have shattered that, with QPR drawing to within a point of us with a victory. Our fragile form could have disappeared if we bottled this one.

And so, already 1-0 down and with half time approaching, Bosingwa smashes a free kick against the post and seconds later, deep into stoppage time, Lowton lofts in a cross for Gabby to nod home. QPR should by rights have been out of sight but instead we went into the break on a massive high. We came out rampant in the 2nd half and the rest is history.

Honourable mention goes to Benteke's winner in the same game (and Weimann's determined work to set it up) for obvious reasons but, by then, the Gabby goal had had its effect and we had gone from pretenders (optimistic but fragile) to the real deal (genuine belief that we could survive). By the time Townsend scored, we knew we could and should still turn the game around again.

There have been other massive moments since - notably Lowton at Stoke and Gabby's 2nd at Norwich - but they have only been possible (or significant) thanks to that monumental QPR victory which set us on our way.

Not to mention it had the opposite effect on QPR - they crumbled after that match after winning 2 on the trot before.

lowton's goal against stoke was massive, his interception and pass for weimann's world class first touch for the second goal against sunderland was also huge for me. negative wise then yeah the chelsea game, which you can put down to the injuries forcing that back line on to the pitch.

i'm tempted to say either the moment lowton's foot connected with the ball for his screamer or the moment weimann killed lowton's 40 yard pass stone dead with the outside of his right foot to set up the second goal to take the wind out of sunderland's sails.

Has to be half time at Newcastle when we finally played with the right formation.

It was a huge turning point.

Before that moment we were going only one way and since that half time change we've looked a completely different team.

Have to agree, this change in formation is what convinced me we wouldn't be relegated. It was clear as daylight that the previous formation wasn't working and we were heading only one way. Everything that followed is on the back of this change.

"Biggest moment of the season" can be a positive or a negative answer.

In terms of impact or influence on our season and because it affected pretty much the next 8 games and 2 months, I would say our 8-0 defeat at the hands of Chelsea was the biggest moment of our season. We've spent the rest of the season trying to undo the damage of that 90 minutes.

I'd typed out something similar before changing my answer into a more positive gif format above.

But yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. It was a huge moment that sent us into a downward spiral. A spiral that we're very lucky to have gotten ourselves out of!

Not to mention it had the opposite effect on QPR - they crumbled after that match after winning 2 on the trot before.

Oh completely. It was even more than a 6-pointer - there was the 6 point swing itself plus the boost to our confidence topped with the shattering of theirs. Like I say; monumental.

There are two more personal moments of the season for me, both coming in the Sunderland game. They don't relate to specific game incidents as such - more just "feelings" that we had well and truly turned it round.

First was the crowd reaction to the Sunderland equaliser. Watching on a stream that evening, as the replays wrapped up and they returned to the action, you could hear what must have been every single Villa fan at VP roaring "Villa! Villa! Villa" in unison. It was such a defiant reaction to a setback and was such a contrast to the mood of just a few months previous.

Secondly, and on the back of that, we were 3-1 up and where normally I would be tense as hell awaiting the inevitable onslaught as we allowed the opposition back into the game, I had what can only be described as a moment of clarity and it felt perfectly plausible for us to go and score more, rather than concede. It was the first time in years that I had felt optimistic and comfortable during a Villa game and finally confirmed our turnaround.

Secondly, and on the back of that, we were 3-1 up and where normally I would be tense as hell awaiting the inevitable onslaught as we allowed the opposition back into the game, I had what can only be described as a moment of clarity and it felt perfectly plausible for us to go and score more, rather than concede. It was the first time in years that I had felt optimistic and comfortable during a Villa game and finally confirmed our turnaround.

I was still nervous. I remember turning to a mate at 3-1 and saying "well at least that guarantees us a point". I wasn't being facetious. But our hunger and positivity going forward quickly had me thinking "actually this could be any score".

possibly  it was end feb / beginning March when we only lost 2-1 to Arsenal and 1-0 to City

the players seemed to gain belief in those close results and we've only lost twice since then Man U where expected and Home to Liverpool where we didn't really deserve to lose

Â