Insurance claims

Tayls

small dents and scratches are normal wear and tear imo ...shit that they happen but they happen

I take it you don't lease a car  ;) 

Unless you work for a big company they normally will charge you for every supermarket dink left on your car at the end of the contract.

Cheers for the advise people.

I got a photo of the back of the car when I placed the letter on it. Talking of which, the letter is still there, been three days now. And it's been rained on about 6 times so doubt it's even readable. Gonna leave it on there though. I put it in an envelope so it might be ok-ish.

Probs shouldn't because it has the guys number plate etc on it and I can't be assed to alter it. Plus it's on my iPhone and i don't know how to post pics :/

There is literally no damage though. The pic is just the back of a BMW 325 Ci (2000 plate)

Shouldn't have bothered leaving a note to be honest, if there really was no damage at all then the owner would have been absolutely none the wiser.

I disagree. There could quite easily have been someone watching who might spot the owner of the BMW later and said "hey you know someone crashed into your car the other day".

Leaving the note covers him.

Edited by Stevo985

Semantics. It's still an "incident"

As I said, I have a friend who had a very similar incident. He even spoke to the owner of the other car, agreed nothing needed to be done and STILL got a letter from the police saying he'd failed to report an incident.

• 2 weeks later...

Righty.... I have received some contact from the third party today. They were on holiday so that would explain the long gap in hearing anything.

Whilst he agrees there is no visible damage, the parking sensor on the side that I hit has stopped working. How realistic would that be and are they cheap? The third party said that because I left my details and was generous in that sense, he would be happy to not go down the route of going through insurance people... What's your thoughts to this? Any advice would be great.

Could be a pre-existing problem ....I would contact a garage that you know get a quote and assessment of the job at hand if he agrees its because you hit it fine pay for it ....try and do cash in hand 

It's very likely this problem pre-dated (or happened after) the 'accident', they have quite a big burden of proof linking your hit to the sensor being damaged. The three week gap makes it even more tenuous IMO. However if you dispute this they may be inclined to go through the insurance vultures.

Difficult situation but I think you should ask for some proof, just check some of the finer details, is the sensor on the same side that you hit the car? etc.Other than that, because you admitted to hitting the car you have no other choice than to pay for it.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Given I work in insurance fraud validation, specifically motor insurance, what Stevo has said earlier in the thread is pretty much bang on.

What has happened is known as an LSI/LVI (low speed/velocity impact) and although he is claiming your car has damaged his, if it's a really low (2mph) collision that does literally bump, like hitting a kerb gently when reversing I really doubt you've dislodged anything in his car.

As suggested, he's probably taken advantage (as third parties in accidents are likely to do or be encouraged to do by solicitors/AMCs etc) of a pre-existing problem. Either way a settlement will either be made between the two of you, or between himself and any help he gets and your insurance company. Taking pictures circa the time scene was the correct thing to do as it can negate bogus passenger claims (common) or vehicle occupancy by the third party claiming for whiplash (common) and also as previously said, shows the external damage at the time.

As Dr_Pangloss says above, checking for specifics is advised and if all else fails and it does go to your insurers they will require a third party assessors report for proof of damage.

Saying that I'm no insurance expert, just an average joe worker in the whole sorry business.

Cheers for the responses so far.

The guy did literally just say that his sensor was working before he went away (as you probably would) so in some senses I do think he is taking advantage. However, I am not expecting this be expensive and he said he will (and I quote) "go to some polish guys because they are cheap" (he's Russian) in order to get a new one. So I'm expecting to have to hand over about £50 perhaps for a new sensor and what ever it is to get it fitted.

Naturally I will ask for a copy of the receipt of the work done, and I will probably have a witness with me as I share lifts to work with a mate.

What I don't want is for this to all happen and then him still go ahead and make a claim against me and bring in a solicitor and what ever those other people are called - not his insurance company but something else, can't remember....

Nobody was in his car when I hit it so not expecting any personal injury claims....the note was left on the car for just over 2 weeks....

Edited by Tayls

Cheers for the responses so far.

The guy did literally just say that his sensor was working before he went away (as you probably would) so in some senses I do think he is taking advantage. However, I am not expecting this be expensive and he said he will (and I quote) "go to some polish guys because they are cheap" (he's Russian) in order to get a new one. So I'm expecting to have to hand over about £50 perhaps for a new sensor and what ever it is to get it fitted.

Naturally I will ask for a copy of the receipt of the work done, and I will probably have a witness with me as I share lifts to work with a mate.

What I don't want is for this to all happen and then him still go ahead and make a claim against me and bring in a solicitor and what ever those other people are called - not his insurance company but something else, can't remember....

Nobody was in his car when I hit it so not expecting any personal injury claims....the note was left on the car for just over 2 weeks....

Might be wise to literally record all conversations with him.

Â