Insurance claims

Tayls

I could do with some advice/reassurance as I have literally been stressing myself over this all day....

This morning whilst attempting to parallel park I hit the back of another vehicle. Only very lightly, was literally just a little push on the bumper. I checked to see if there was any damage and I could not see any. So I drove off and found another spot having taken down the reg number of the vehicle I hit.

I did not have a pen or paper on me. So, when I got to the office I typed up a letter, put it in an envelope and then went back to the car and put it on the windscreen. I included my name, home tel, reg and insurance provider.

I then preceded to inform my insurance company of the situation.

I have not heard from the third party yet, and when coming out of work I noticed it had not moved so, figured the letter may still be there.

Have I done the right thing here? Should I not have bothered leaving my details? How can this come back to bite me on the butt?

Helpppppp. :(

NB: I should also point out that I took a photo of the back of the car after placing the letter under the wipers.

Edited by limpid

Give the rozzers a quick call and report the incident. too.

Hmmm, someone has suggested this. What would the benefits of doing that be though?

You can't get charged with leaving the scene of an accident if you inform the police of the situation.

^^^What Bicks and Snowy said

Mate of mine had a similar situation and got a letter from the police saying he hadn't reported an accident (even though he'd spoken to the other party and they'd agreed nothing needed to be done)

It all got dropped in the end, but it's some hassle that you could do without

Excellent. I have now informed the police.

That's the thing I was worried about, the owner wasn't around, I had nothing to write my details on initially, and I drove off to find another spot. I only did that though because the spot I was trying to get into was too tight.

Worried others might have seen and said I left the scene and will get thrown into prison :( .... I came back after typing up a letter though. :'(

Edited by Tayls

What would you have done? I literally couldn't live it, I felt guilty as hell. At least this way I am hopefully covered and won't be locked up.

With no damage caused, most would have driven off and forgotten about it. Now you've done what strictly was the correct thing, please relax!

small dents and scratches are normal wear and tear imo ...shit that they happen but they happen ...if someone broke a light put a big scratch or big dent then yes fair play leave the note ..so in short your right but you sound like your putting yourself under a lot of stress for nothing 

Just arrived at the street where I park and I have noticed the letter is still on the car :s .... What should I do?

Smash it up Basil Fawlty style, you might as well do something worth the guilt and worry you're feeling.

If you do this I can not be taken to court with you as an advisory accomplice by the way.

Just leave it.

You've told the police (I assume you told them you left a note) and gave them your details I assume.

If the letter gets nicked or something, then either the guy who's car it is won't even notice and will just live his life. Or he will notice it, report it, and yo're covered because you've already informed the police.

Don't worry, I'd imagine nothing will happen.

Alot of panic over nothing mate. If there was no damage to the guys car then he's not going to care. You claim on insurance to pay for damage, if there's no damage, there's nothing to repair.. And if it's just the slightest little bump then it's not worth going through insurance anyway.

You've informed the police so you're covered. I'd almost be tempted to quickly remove the note if it's still on his car.

Â