Season 2012/3 Post Mortem

smetrov

Lessons Learnt:-

We should never start a season with only 1 fit senior CB

Stephen Ireland and Charles and Nzogbia will never deliver performances in line with the fees paid for them on a consistent basis

Our academy products, Herd, Bannan, Lichaj, Clark Albrighton - can only be considered bit part players - and not the mainstay of the squad.

Good as goal poacher as he is - Darren Bent is probably surplus to requirements.

Whilst much credit to Paul Lambert for scouring the lower leagues & overseas for bargain price talent - the manager should be backed in terms of wages\Fees should he wish to supplement these players with proven quality.

Randy should get to the odd game now and then....

Edited by smetrov

Growing pains,  I love that phrase Brian as it sums it up perfectly.

For me we started less than average as expected

Took longer to gel ,  not expected and a bit of a worry in terms of position

Come together at long last to get results.

The only thing I would add to the post of Brian above is that we have a fabulous team spirit and togetherness at the club and given that we started the season with dressing room clique's and players being billy big bollocks that is remarkable.  It is something I hoped Lambert would bring with him as he obviously built his other clubs that way.

Now needs backing to push on.

Must admit I don't see a brave new dawn with this squad of players. I am not convinced by any of the defense apart from Lowton and Guzan. Hope we spend heavily in this area before next season

• Like 4

A 'Crock of Shit' is how I would sum up the season.

So there's no rainbow at the end of this thunderstorm for you ?

The Rainbow is potentially very bright - we are currently 5th in the form league and have been for a little while now.

The temptation is to get too excited about that. We have been very reliant on Benteke this season and he could well have a second season dip.

I think a young side has made a lot of mistakes this season and I think Lambert has too.

The dark winter and 5 at the back experiment was the poorest defensive side I have ever seen. Of course we had injuries but it was still embarrassing.

When he have played 4-3-3 in varying shapes and form we have looked a proper side capable of winning games. But the squad has a long way to go to cope with injuries and also developing a Plan B.

I think the main thing to take from this season is we have made a lot of individual errors down to inexperience. We wont have this excuse next season so they need to be stamped out.

We also need to help develop the squad with real quality (wherever that comes from). We've been by enlarge battered by all the big teams this year and we need to start competing in this games if we are to start pulling ourselves up the league and make things a bit less stressful next year.

I think the post mortem should be that we need to have more belief in what Lambert is doing here. Yes it took a while to click but he was vindicated. We can now look at next season with huge optimism. We've a young hungry squad with ability and we won't have the growing pains that we had this season. Yes he almost tried to change too much too soon but ultimately it looks like he got the balance just about right in the end. We're now set up fantastically to strengthen in the summer and become one of the healthier and more exciting sides in the league next year. Not to mention plying our trade a little higher up the table.

You made me all giddy reading that.  I am very much in the same camp. It was a horrible horrible 2012 but a fantastic 2013 so far.

Only a pessimist would not be excited about next season.  We will have a nucleus of players that have good ability and the right attitude.  A nucleus that can be build on with the right acquisitions.  Luckily for us we have the manager to do this. 

• Like 1

Call me a miserable word removed but I'd rather have the postmortem at the end of the season, or at the very least, once we are incontrovertibly, mathematically safe.

Choffer! Shame on me! :blush: I bet my life this was one of Richard's post's! :blush:

How bloody miserable are you? ;)

Bradford was a disaster and something that will continue to hurt until we actually win something again. TBH it will probably stop me getting behind the current manager and players in the same way I otherwise would have.

Improved last couple of months and a quietly optimistic about next year now

Bradford was a disaster and something that will continue to hurt until we actually win something again. TBH it will probably stop me getting behind the current manager and players in the same way I otherwise would have.

You can't really think that?

You're a miserable word removed.

Happy now?

Wasn't expecting it to take so long but probably was expecting you to be one of the front-runners to convert that easy setup ;)

• Like 1

Â