Coventry City locked out of ground

StanBalaban

ITV News Central understands the Ricoh Arena is suing Northampton Town - for effectively 'stealing' its customer.

It follows Coventry City agreeing a deal to play at Northampton's Sixfields Stadium for at least the next three years.

More to follow...

Absolutely bizarre. What are Coventry supposed to do? If they can't pay to play at the Ricoh and they can't play elsewhere....?

I thought the owners of the Ricoh offered Coventry the open to use the ground rent free? (I assume getting some matchday revenue).

Indeed they did. Sisu seemingly chose to reject that offer though, in favour of building their own ground.

To add to the hilarity, Sisu 'called out' an MP whom, when the issue of Cov moving out of the city to play their games was raised in the House, blamed it all on them and called them a disgrace, basically. Sisu invited said chappy to stop hiding behind Parlimentary immunity, and, well, not in these exact words, but basically to 'SAY IT TO OUR FACE'.

This came about as an article on their OS. In the minority here, but I am feeling increasingly sorry for their lot, it's a pretty unbelievable state of affairs.

You are correct - you are in the minority!

Saw a fat, sweaty Cov fan on holiday, wearing a "Citylink" sponsored shirt. Was trying to pluck up courage to tell him that they could use them to get to their home games, but couldn't think how to explain in words of one syllable.

Edited by turnbull

Saw a fat, sweaty Cov fan on holiday, wearing a "Citylink" sponsored shirt. Was trying to pluck up courage to tell him that they could use them to get to their home games, but couldn't think how to explain in words of one syllable.

Probably a good idea you didn't, CityLink are couriers. 

• Like 1

You could put yourself in a box and send yourself to the ground.

And from what I recall the agreement to use the stadium for free next season was that Ricoh took a cut of match day profits until the backdated rent was settled. By turning that down Coventry are clearly saying they have absolutely no intention of ever paying the rent they owe to Ricoh. I'd be a tad peeved as well.

Probably a good idea you didn't, CityLink are couriers. 

I know, all he'd need to do was stick a courier label on his fat ass, as long as he wasn't too heavy!

Looks like they're after the speedway site in Brandon (yeah, not actually in Cov), although the Bees have 10 years on the lease at the place still. No planning permission or anything, and there is apparently another site that has been earmarked...the rugby club perhaps? Warwick uni?

Edited by hogso

Looks like they're after the speedway site in Brandon (yeah, not actually in Cov), although the Bees have 10 years on the lease at the place still. No planning permission or anything, and there is apparently another site that has been earmarked...the rugby club perhaps? Warwick uni?

The centre "green" at Brandon is in fact tarmac and not green at all, so there's some work to do. On top of that, it will be a pretty narrow pitch if it's to fit inside a speedway track, if the old Wembley is anything to go by. Also, evidently it was announced at Brandon tonight that the speedway is safe for another 10 years. Interesting.

Annnnd a new deal to play at the Ricoh for 10 years is now in talks. They'll make their mind up eventually - well, they have to, Friday is the deadline it seems.

I always thought Liquidation was end-of-sports, regardless of the points implications. To me, liquidation is the act of selling off the remaining assets to appease the company's creditors. I don't understand how they'd even have a football team after this.

I'd like to feel sorry for them and if it were practically any other club (usual exceptions apply), I probably would. Unfortunately, as Richard has alluded to, trips there (for football or any other reason for that matter) have always been deeply unpleasant experiences so for that fact, I can't summon up eve n the slightest ounce of sympathy.

I'd like to feel sorry for them and if it were practically any other club (usual exceptions apply), I probably would. Unfortunately, as Richard has alluded to, trips there (for football or any other reason for that matter) have always been deeply unpleasant experiences so for that fact, I can't summon up eve n the slightest ounce of sympathy.

Seconded.

Although I'd rather it was happening to small heath first...

• Like 1

Â