How to post links or photos on VT

Morpheus

Question

Ok with over 3000 posts now I think its time I learnt how to do this. I need instruction from scratch folks which will also help new members. Please advise in a way the non technically gifted can understand.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

That link is not a link to an image, or at least not a publicly viewable image.

I knew that! I thought I’d deleted it off, but I was on some seriously flakey free internet, itself then my more random by tunnels.

My problem, is that I’ve switched for some of the time to an i-pad and it just isn’t intuitive for me. Stuff I can do on bog standard laptops appears to defeat this thing that’s three times the price.

I can no longer find any combination of clicks taps or drags that will allow me to post an image found on twitter. It surely must be possible, I just haven’t found the magic combo.

Along with not having a headphone jack or the ability to use usb’s. All in all, a pretty impressive use of a grand!

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I knew that! I thought I’d deleted it off, but I was on some seriously flakey free internet, itself then my more random by tunnels.

My problem, is that I’ve switched for some of the time to an i-pad and it just isn’t intuitive for me. Stuff I can do on bog standard laptops appears to defeat this thing that’s three times the price.

I can no longer find any combination of clicks taps or drags that will allow me to post an image found on twitter. It surely must be possible, I just haven’t found the magic combo.

Along with not having a headphone jack or the ability to use usb’s. All in all, a pretty impressive use of a grand!

There is a whole thread on how to post tweets. The key is usually to "paste without formatting" or "paste as plain text", but I don't use simple to use devices like ipads.

Are you within the return period for the ipad?.

PS. I hope you are using a VPN on the flakey free internet :mrgreen:

I can post tweets, I can do that. What I struggle with is the peculiarity of this device that I can’t just extract the picture from a tweet. Which I can do, from everything else I use.

Happily, I didn’t pay for the i-pad, it’s a one size fits all work thing. If the office had said here’s a grand, sort yourself out, I could now have the same level of functionality, and £700 in my pocket, and be able to rob photos off twitter and be able to use headphones and work with USB’s. But some people presume a picture of an apple on the lid and a reassuringly high price must mean ‘better’.

First world problems, eh? I’ll get there, doubtless apple sell an extract a picture from twitter device, which I can buy for £159 and it will look really really sexy and come in an over designed box. Then I’ll Just need the lightning connector to usb-c converter add on for a tenner and I’ll be good to go.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

What I struggle with is the peculiarity of this device that I can’t just extract the picture from a tweet. Which I can do, from everything else I use.

It’s super easy on an iPad Chris.

step 1 touch and hold the picture and a dialogue appears, “share via”. then select the one you want to do, in your case “save file” or save photo or whatever

BB2A0231-6712-4125-915D-B2D03D948D30.png

F0AEFDBC-F0AA-4A56-9DFB-133B15F31604.png

• Like 2

Right, I have now managed to do it, but not by any of the steps in the correct thread, and not by the @blandy idiot’s guide above.

I can now do it. I’m sure there will be a simpler way, but I found ‘a’ way. Once I’ve got the description of what I’m doing sounding a bit more technical than slide the thingy down, tap and drag the photo in to the box once three lines appear, then tap the box to change the text description, I’ll share my new knowledge!

cheers.

EGIIc0jXoAoOW61?format=jpg&name=large

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

i struggle to link to hosted gifs. Any suggestions on a site I can upload a gif to that will allow easy linking to them and will display correctly 

Imgur still works for that I think. The only extra step to get the gif is to copy its location. (Using Firefox here)

image.thumb.png.d8f46ffd6396ef4ffffa6895f2d0b76c.png

34jDtxG.gif

Edited by Tegis
5 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Imgur still works for that I think. The only extra step to get the gif is to copy its location. (Using Firefox here)

image.thumb.png.d8f46ffd6396ef4ffffa6895f2d0b76c.png

34jDtxG.gif

I pretty much only use my iphone and iphones are dicks it seems when coming to this sort of thing. Will experiment with imgur. Thank you. 

Am I losing my marbles or has the ability to upload a picture into a post disappeared? I'm sure one could in the past but now the only option appears to be by URL or adding an existing attachment. Did I miss a previous communication or have I lost the plot?

50 minutes ago, choffer said:

Am I losing my marbles or has the ability to upload a picture into a post disappeared? I'm sure one could in the past but now the only option appears to be by URL or adding an existing attachment. Did I miss a previous communication or have I lost the plot?

Nothing has changed.

• Thanks 1

Hi there, sorry to trouble you guys but for the past week or so i’ve been attempting to upload some pics to the “funny pics” thread without success.

The site keeps telling me that I have 0MB remaining and to contact yourselves for assistance?  Bit confused here? Is there anything you or I need to do? 

Sorry if i’m being dim.  Many thanks in advance if it can be sorted.  👍

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Hi there, sorry to trouble you guys but for the past week or so i’ve been attempting to upload some pics to the “funny pics” thread without success.

The site keeps telling me that I have 0MB remaining and to contact yourselves for assistance?  Bit confused here? Is there anything you or I need to do? 

Sorry if i’m being dim.  Many thanks in advance if it can be sorted.  👍

Click on your name in the top right. Click "My attachments". That is what is using up your allowance.

• Thanks 1