Your biggest regret?

Ingram85

When I was at Uni, a lad I really liked, although we didn't know each other very well was setting up a little business in aquarium design.  

He asked me to do it with him, all serious like, and I just laughed it off and said I've got to finish my course and get a real job.

He's now doing what he's dreamt of doing since he was a kid, and I would have **** loved doing it with him.  

I don't know if he's rich or anything, but I'm his friend of Facebook and, as I said, although I don't know him very well, I'm extremely proud of his achievements.  What a guy, living the dream. :) Well done Ako.

I have a great job now with a house and a new wife, but I would have loved to have done what he's doing now, just because tropical/marine fish are one of my little passions. 

She confessed to me my late father had tried it on with her many years ago when my father, mother and i had to move in with my grandmother. As stated before it didn't go anywhere as she refused his advances but in some strange way it may have triggered her advances towards me which i still haven't been able to refuse.

Wouldn't that have been your Dad trying to bone his own sister?

Either you're taking the piss or you're from Norfolk.

Edited by NurembergVillan
  • Like 2

She confessed to me my late father had tried it on with her many years ago when my father, mother and i had to move in with my grandmother. As stated before it didn't go anywhere as she refused his advances but in some strange way it may have triggered her advances towards me which i still haven't been able to refuse.

Wouldn't that have been your Dad trying to bone his own sister?

Either you're taking the piss or you're from Norfolk.

Wouldn't it be his dads wife's sister?

There ain't many things I regret. All the decisions I've made, good or bad, have got me where I am now, and I'm quite pleased with that. There is of course a few girls that I maybe could've got along with, but in the long run they would just have been a few good moments in my long life, and I've had many good moments as it is. And it might've kept me out of some trouble anyway.

One thing I do regret was not to try and learn to play the guitar or the piano when I was at school. Not that I would've been a rock star today if I'd done it, but I could've been a lot better at playing the piano than I am today and maybe I could've still been playing in a band. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

One thing I do regret was not to try and learn to play the guitar or the piano when I was at school. Not that I would've been a rock star today if I'd done it, but I could've been a lot better at playing the piano than I am today and maybe I could've still been playing in a band. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Pelle the wrong attitude. Google 'Sea Sick Steve' to see what i mean.

There are so many recording devices on the market today hardware and software that with investment in the right computer and software or hardware such as the Yamaha AW4416 (street price now around £450-£500) you can write and transfer your music onto CD and then send it off to record companies or indeed use sites such as Myspace to promote your compositions.

You have mentioned the piano. Not sure what stage you're at with that or whether you own your own piano but take a look at 'ToonTrack's EZ Keys' to see what i mean. All you need is a cheap midi keyboard, a computer and a daw to use that software and if you go onto Youtube you will see how good the quality is on that plugin alone.

Also look at Pro Tools on Youtube as you sequencer if you want to go down the software route which is far more flexible than hardware.

I have also had the dream of being a pop star but even at my age i'm still writing and enjoying music and if you do look at 'Sea Sick Steve' age has no barriers if you are good enough.

Hm, don't know if I get you right, but I wanna play music, not put it on a computer and let it do the job. I wanna play in a band that has some gigs from time to time. I own a keyboard and for having learned to play mostly all by myself I'm quite decent and some professional musicians have told me that I have talent, so I just wish I had started when I was a kid. But then again, maybe they were just nice. :) On the other hand, they didn't tell me but my friend. :D

I always wanted to be an architect, so I spent a week at one in Gloucester doing some work experience. It was a rubbish week (they didn't bother with me at all) and they all drove crap cars. As a 15 year old who's only goal in life was to own a Mercedes, this put me off the idea of becoming an architect. I went on to become an accountant, and while I have a nice house etc, work is a daily chore that eats away at my soul, bit by bit.

Edited by Shillzz

Pelle, surely there's a place for local semipro bands to get gigs without being fully professional standard? 

Hellfire, I've never been remotely talented, but I've done my time in local bands and even at nearly 60 I wouldn't rule out doing it again.

• Like 1

Pelle, surely there's a place for local semipro bands to get gigs without being fully professional standard? 

Hellfire, I've never been remotely talented, but I've done my time in local bands and even at nearly 60 I wouldn't rule out doing it again.

Probably, but my confidence in my own talent isn't the best so I don't really dare to try and get some contacts. I'd love to play with the drummer from the one band I was a part of, and he'd love to play with me too, but he's a very good drummer and mostly play with really good musicians and I'd just feel like an amateur player playing for Bayern Munich. :( But the thought is still there.

Probably, but my confidence in my own talent isn't the best so I don't really dare to try and get some contacts. I'd love to play with the drummer from the one band I was a part of, and he'd love to play with me too, but he's a very good drummer and mostly play with really good musicians and I'd just feel like an amateur player playing for Bayern Munich. :( But the thought is still there.

I agree, the hard bit is trying to find people of a similar standard to work with.

I would never have advertised or put myself forward to strangers as a singer/musician, but in the 80s I happened to have a few mates who were of a similar standard. The social thing came first, really.

Probably why I won't do it again, as I currently don't have friends who play.

What I will do though - as people are currently discussing in the VT musicians thread - is do some home recording. It's a golden age for it, with the affordable kit you can get now.

No problem mate.

So you want to be a giging musician. Just advertise yourself as a keyboard player looking for work and I'm sure you'll get more than a few enquiries.

Plenty of big regrets here. Ho hum. If I had it to do over, suffice it to say things would be very different.

I not only agree but wanted to make note that for some reason Mike using "Hellfire" made me happy. I don't hear the expression enough. (I'm not kidding, these are the kind of things that make me happy.)

• Like 1

I not only agree but wanted to make note that for some reason Mike using "Hellfire" made me happy. I don't hear the expression enough. (I'm not kidding, these are the kind of things that make me happy.)

Strewth, well I never....  :) 

• Like 1

I agree, the hard bit is trying to find people of a similar standard to work with.

I would never have advertised or put myself forward to strangers as a singer/musician, but in the 80s I happened to have a few mates who were of a similar standard. The social thing came first, really.

Probably why I won't do it again, as I currently don't have friends who play.

What I will do though - as people are currently discussing in the VT musicians thread - is do some home recording. It's a golden age for it, with the affordable kit you can get now.

the only thing I can say here, is that these guys have taken a few years putting together an album recorded at home and it is immense, as good as anything from a label

once in a blue moon, when they all have the time, they play a pub gig and 37 people stand around watching and dancing

those 37 people, including me, think they are the best band in the world

Â