100 years ago - April 1913

MikeMcKenna

Our victory last night was a great way to mark the 100th Anniversary of a couple of Villa games in the April 1913 against Sunderland with both clubs going for the League and FA Cup double:

On the 19th April 1913 we beat them 1-0 in the FA Cup Final in front of an incredible world record crowd of 121,919.

However only 4 days later on 23rd April 1913 in front of 70,000 at what was then known as the Aston Lower Grounds we needed a win to have a chance of winning the title and the double. Sadly we only drew 1-1 and Sunderland went on to win the title with us as runners up.

So while both ended the season with one each of the highest honours we also prevented the other from winning the double!

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

Yes saw it in the news and record on monday. They said the home league game had 60,000 at Villa Park with 30,000 locked out when the gates were closed before a 5.30 kick off. Must have moved it late for sky! The other monster crowd V the mackems was a little bit more recent in 1975 when 57,000 were present at Villa Park seeing Villa getting promoted to the top flight after 8 years. Will we ever see a 50,000 crowd again at Villa Park? Probably not.

Amazing to think our biggest ever attendance was over 76,000 (76,588 to be precise) in a 1946 cup match with Derby County. We lost of course.

The biggest crowd I was ever in at VP was 54,000 in 1969, against SHA. As I recall, it was a rather scary, bone-crushing experience in the Holte End. I only caught a few glimpses of the match, which appeared to be completely shite.

Oh, also at the Santos game in '72. That must have been over 50,000 too, similarly scary but more fun.

Edited by briny_ear

Just came across this picture. Harry Hampton scoring Villa's first goal (in a 2-0 victory) in the 1905 FA Cup final against Newcastle at Crystal Palace. Crowd was over 100,000! Note people who have climbed trees to get a view. Also note Villa's iconic kit, echoed in the 1992-3 season.

article-2318278-1996BF06000005DC-45_964x

• Like 1

Ah yes, I remember those games well.

You probably dont but I guess Mike Mooney does.

He still has the bus ticket to get to the match

I just came into this thread on the assumption that there would be a post like the above. Glad to see you didn't disappoint.

Incidentally, I wasn't at the game, as it was pension day at the post office.

• Like 2

Â