Z4... girl car, boys car, either?

PieFacE

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Z4 a girl, boy, or unisex car?

• Car for a lady
    • Car for a man
    • Car for anyone

As you say, it's all relative but they're probably paying nearly a third of what we do for fuel. My car may get 40MPG but I'm paying £1.40+ a litre not £0.55 that they are. How sweet would that be... 

My new motor:

2013 ford f-150 fx 4 with appearance and luxury package.

Fully loaded (some key features) heated and cooled seats, remote start, myford touch, navi, moonroof and getting a retrax bed cover put on here soon.

Engine: ecoboost twin turbo v6, 365 hp, 420 lbs/ft tq

xc9ez7.jpg

fc4lv.jpg

j5f50g.jpg

Jesus Dom, have you managed to get it off the petrol station grounds?

Nigel,

It costs me over a 100$ to fill up, but if I stay out of it and am not hauling anything, I can usually do ok mpg wise!!

Now getting all the tq and 365hp to the wheels quickly and passing all those hemis hurts the old petrol tank ;)

5ai1bc.jpg

And as if to prove the point of Toyota keeping sportily branded Toyotas out of North America, that Subaru is a Toyota GT86 in Europe.

I got an old mx-5 and did it up, and it's great. I don't care whether people (even tony) think it's a man's car or a haridresser's car. It's fun.

post-75-0-02047500-1367431480_thumb.jpg

This is as good a place as any to ramble about the GT86.

Anyone remember Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2? The first car you could afford and was actually competitive was the Toyota AE86, or the Sprinter Trueno. Its layout and design is actually quite rare in today's context as it's a RWD small coupe, but not especially powerful.

A huge 'scene' built up around the 'Hachi-Roku' (Japanese for 8 6) because it was so perfectly balanced and was more than a match for lots of things more powerful:

Because of the following they have and how much of a legend the original is, Toyota decided to bring it back as the FT86, a car true to the strengths of the original but using modern techniques and materials to make it even better.

As development continued, Toyota decided that they needed to use a boxer engine to keep the centre of gravity low so they made a deal with Subaru to have a flat 4 Subaru NA engine and Subaru could also sell the car as the BRZ.

The end result is something that looks incredible and drives even better. Many motoring journalists have called it the best car ever http://www.topgear.com/uk/toyota/gt-86/road-test/driven and I know someone with a BMW Z4M Coupe who test-drove a GT86 out of curiosity and is now ordering one to replace the Z4M.

If I could get away with it I'd have one tomorrow. Should be way higher on a list than a Z4.

buy the car you like at the price you can afford

be happy in yourself

Don't drive a Merc. ;)

don't dis the Merc'!

stereo system to die for and you can get half of Ikea or 8 bags of compost (essentially the same thing) in the back

but seriously, if I listened to what others think I'd currently be rocking around in a cockaudi with nobody letting me out at junctions, as it is, the black Merc estate looks like a hearse and everyone lets you out (especially if i've got my big hat on) 

NOT A SCIENTIFIC SURVEY:

I was counting Z4's on the motorway today for you, total count on the M25 was 4, all driven by the ladies

got into Shittingbourne, one more Z4, driven like a proper juvenile cock on his own imaginery race track - that was a male

so 80% of todays Z4 drivers were female, the other 20% were cockheads

NOT A SCIENTIFIC SURVEY:

I was counting Z4's on the motorway today for you, total count on the M25 was 4, all driven by the ladies

got into Shittingbourne, one more Z4, driven like a proper juvenile cock on his own imaginery race track - that was a male

so 80% of todays Z4 drivers were female, the other 20% were cockheads

hahaha... love this! 

Good work! 

Do another count tomorrow please :)

Nigel,

It costs me over a 100$ to fill up, but if I stay out of it and am not hauling anything, I can usually do ok mpg wise!!

Now getting all the tq and 365hp to the wheels quickly and passing all those hemis hurts the old petrol tank ;)

Its a good job you dont plan on moving that over here

Ecoboost?!? There's absolutely nothing eco about that truck. :)

It's all relative :) I was there last month and there were car ads on the TV genuinely bragging about getting 35mpg. They don't really do small car diesels yet in North America so figures like 50mpg are very few and far between and as for 60 and 70 ...

Also remember that a US gallon is smaller than an Imperial (incl. Canada) gallon. 35 mpg(US) is 42 mpg(Imp).

The US fuel economy test is also a bit stricter than used elsewhere, judging by the 2.0L A3 diesel being rated at 34 combined (30 city, 42 highway).

Of course, petrol is about $3.50 a US gallon at the moment around here, so $2.92/Imperial gallon, $0.64/liter, 41p per litre.

US petrol is also generally lower octane than that found in Europe (though the scale is different). US regular, outside of the Rocky Mountain states, is generally 87 (R+M method) which translates to 91 or 92 on the octane scale used in Europe.

Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 1

Also remember that a US gallon is smaller than an Imperial (incl. Canada) gallon. 35 mpg(US) is 42 mpg(Imp).

The US fuel economy test is also a bit stricter than used elsewhere, judging by the 2.0L A3 diesel being rated at 34 combined (30 city, 42 highway).

Of course, petrol is about $3.50 a US gallon at the moment around here, so $2.92/Imperial gallon, $0.64/liter, 41p per litre.

US petrol is also generally lower octane than that found in Europe (though the scale is different). US regular, outside of the Rocky Mountain states, is generally 87 (R+M method) which translates to 91 or 92 on the octane scale used in Europe.

It's quite amazing that you don't do diesel cars en masse yet. A Canadian cars salesman I know who is back there now but worked in Europe for a decade says that's one area where N.America is way behind. I suppose with fuel at the price that it is, there's no real need yet. Although you have certainly gone more economy-conscious in recent years so you are probably heading that way. There's undoubtedly some cultural thing too (muscle cars etc). But even that doesn't quite fit given that diesel have all the torque low down. The old cliché that torque turns wheels and horsepower turns heads.

Â