Arthritis drugs

b6bloke

I have suffered severe knee pain for years now, been told I will be lucky to get 5 years out my knees and I'm only 43.

I am on co-codamol and diclofenic but they don't do a lot and the side effects are dangerous with risk of heart attack etc etc.

I have tried a recommended herbal drug online and within 3 days the pain had totally gone!

Problem is that they have had some great reviews but aren't licensed in the Uk. The side effects are stated below and even if they were proven are still less dangerous than what I am alredy on.

So what would you do?

The tablets are called Beline capsules if you want to look.

When I had a herniated disk in my spine I was given napraxen which is an arthritis drug, it worked for the pain but the side effects made it impossible to take, you couldn't take them for more than 30 days as they destroy your stomach lining and cause hair loss.

I really wouldn't recomend self medicating though, go and see your gp again

I have suffered severe knee pain for years now, been told I will be lucky to get 5 years out my knees and I'm only 43.

I am on co-codamol and diclofenic but they don't do a lot and the side effects are dangerous with risk of heart attack etc etc.

I have tried a recommended herbal drug online and within 3 days the pain had totally gone!

Problem is that they have had some great reviews but aren't licensed in the Uk. The side effects are stated below and even if they were proven are still less dangerous than what I am alredy on.

So what would you do?

Beline is not a herbal medication, it is a combination of corticosteroids, antihistamines and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories that is fraudulently sold as a herbal remedy. That doesn't mean that they're dangerous, or that you should stop taking them, but I'd advise that you chat to your GP and show them the actual ingredients list to see whether or not you should be taking them. The best thing to do for arthritic knees is lose weight and do weight bearing exercise (squats are great for your knees, despite popular opinion).

My knees are shot, weight loss did help but pain was 24 7, I have had no side effects at all, I do only take 1 a day instead of the 2 and find the effect is still good. I don't think it is a placebo effect though it did cross my mind my pain was too bad for a placebo to last more than a few weeks and its been 3 months now.

The side effects seem less than what I'm taking now, I mean the treatment that my doctor was going to give me for a fungal nail was worse. I will take your advice on going to my go though.

Thing is, what do you mean by 'arthritis'? Technically, it just means 'joint pain', rather than a particular medical condition. Osteoarthritis is simply 'wear and tear' on the joint cartilage, so that bones start to grind together. Whereas psioratic and rheumatoid arthritis are very different beasts. My wife has RA - it's basically inflammation caused by an overactive immune system. It's incurable but can be controlled with drugs (see below). 

So it depends whether you're talking about treatment for the cause (my wife takes methotrexate, which is essentially a form of chemotherapy), or simply pain relief to alleviate the symptoms. 

So what would you do?

Beline is not a herbal medication, it is a combination of corticosteroids, antihistamines and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories that is fraudulently sold as a herbal remedy. That doesn't mean that they're dangerous, or that you should stop taking them, but I'd advise that you chat to your GP and show them the actual ingredients list to see whether or not you should be taking them. The best thing to do for arthritic knees is lose weight and do weight bearing exercise (squats are great for your knees, despite popular opinion).

Surely if you have arthritic knees then squats would make things worse. Weight lose and non stressful exercise like a walking or exercise bike.

So what would you do?

Beline is not a herbal medication, it is a combination of corticosteroids, antihistamines and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories that is fraudulently sold as a herbal remedy. That doesn't mean that they're dangerous, or that you should stop taking them, but I'd advise that you chat to your GP and show them the actual ingredients list to see whether or not you should be taking them. The best thing to do for arthritic knees is lose weight and do weight bearing exercise (squats are great for your knees, despite popular opinion).

Surely if you have arthritic knees then squats would make things worse. Weight lose and non stressful exercise like a walking or exercise bike.

Squats! Bad knees and squats is impossible. Weight loss? How heavy am I then that I have to lose weight? I do loads of bike riding which does have a medicinal effect.

Edited by b6bloke

Two contributions to add:

1) Steroids seem to be very effective in the short term, but do more damage in the long term - ask the doc.

2) I know of ex pro am cyclists who talk about the dangers of cycling with cold knees - warm them up before you go outside in low temperatures and/or wear kne warmers until they get too hot.

Diclofenac did absolutely nothing for me, after the stone roses gig last year I had to walk 8 miles back to my hotel and ended up off work for a week because of my hip, doctor prescribed me with co-codamol, diclofenac and some other thing as well. The co-codamol did alright but the diclofenac didn't touch me.

To be honest that is why I have started going swimming to try and strengthen the muscles in my hip because other exercise is too painful for me.

oh and I had an injection in my hip which worked an absolute treat for about 3 months but apparently I'm too young to have any more of them

Anthony I found out that anything under 20 degrees the body does not produce the lubricant needed for my joints so as you rightly say I warm up and strap up the knees to keep them warm and there is a real difference.

Â