Weeekends football 26/28 April

andykeenan

I see that Javier Zanetti has ruptured his achilles tendon today.  That's probably it for him, isn't it?  He is actually older than Ryan Giggs, he has 145 caps for Argentina and 843 appearances for Internazionale.  What a player. 

I3UkM4L.jpg

http://www.thefootballramble.com/thedwhof/entrant/javier-zanetti

He will be back, that guy has been written off so many times, but if he does retire he is an absolute legend of the game(this time the title is deserved). HIs omission from 06 and 2010 World Cup was absolute madness from Argentina.

his goal vs England if i remember was actually a well worked and clever free kick 

QPR players and management laughing as they came off the pitch. Disgraceful

We all know many players don't give a fig beyond their contract, but they must be dumb not to realise how strongly fans feel about relegation. I'm not advocating crocodile tears but how hard can it be to keep a neutral face for as long as it takes to exit the pitch?

And if you are going to get one of those, I suppose with three games of the season to go when you are aged 39 (in fact, almost 40) is probably a good time to get it.  

Didn't watch the QPR game but amazed that it ended goaless. 2 teams with feck all to lose should have been attacking chaos at both ends clinging to the slim chance they might do the impossible. Should never have been 0-0 in a million years. How did it happen?

Michael Cox on Football Weekly had a brilliant idea last week.

Said for those games where a draw is no good for either team, they should have a mutual agreement not to play goalkeepers for the last 10 minutes if it's still level.

• Like 1

Bloody hell, I just saw Sturridge's first goal for Liverpool.  I think Coutinho split the atom with that pass for the assist. 

Coutinho is class, better than Suarez for me and not a cannibal either.

Bloody hell, I just saw Sturridge's first goal for Liverpool.  I think Coutinho split the atom with that pass for the assist. 

And to think, for about 5 minutes in January, there was the slightest sliver of hope that he was actually coming to us  :(

Edited by Ghost

Didn't watch the QPR game but amazed that it ended goaless. 2 teams with feck all to lose should have been attacking chaos at both ends clinging to the slim chance they might do the impossible. Should never have been 0-0 in a million years. How did it happen?

Said for those games where a draw is no good for either team, they should have a mutual agreement not to play goalkeepers for the last 10 minutes if it's still level.

I've always wondered why no football manager, to my knowledge, has tried unilaterally pulling the keeper late in a game where it doesn't matter how much they lose by. It's a reasonably common tactic in ice hockey for a team down a goal to make it 6 skaters on 5 to try and force overtime.

I suppose that there's more marginal benefit to going from 5->6 than from 10->11, and also ice hockey goals being smaller means that as long as you can track back and keep an attacker from getting too close to the goal, there's not as much risk of the margin going to two goals; ice hockey's free substitution also makes it more practical, but I don't see why that would imply that you never do it. I'm guessing it's fear of being pilloried when it doesn't work.

Edited by leviramsey

I've always wondered why no football manager, to my knowledge, has tried unilaterally pulling the keeper late in a game where it doesn't matter how much they lose by. It's a reasonably common tactic in ice hockey for a team down a goal to make it 6 skaters on 5 to try and force overtime.

I suppose that there's more marginal benefit to going from 5->6 than from 10->11, and also ice hockey goals being smaller means that as long as you can track back and keep an attacker from getting too close to the goal, there's not as much risk of the margin going to two goals; ice hockey's free substitution also makes it more practical, but I don't see why that would imply that you never do it. I'm guessing it's fear of being pilloried when it doesn't work.

Football goals are also a much bigger target. I'd imagine pretty much any team in the top few divisions has a player or two capable of putting the ball into an unguarded net from 50 yards.  

Â