I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

So about two years ago my mates and I were just randomly talking about penguins and polar bears (might of been watching Planet Earth or something). When the suggestion/fact came up that Polar Bears only live in the North Pole, while penguins are only in the South Pole. Well...I called bollocks on that and was quite adamant that there was no way that could be true by stating, "Feck off, there is no way that is true, what would stop a penguin/polar bear from walking a couple of feet to the other pole!?" After that statement I was met with the most confused stares ever. Digging myself deeper, I started to explain, obviously since the two poles are connected, penguins/polar bears meeting up somewhere and interacting was inevitable. That's when my whole word was turned upside down and it was pointed out to me that the two poles are completely separate. Don't ask me how I never realized that...I am actually really big into maps and own a quite a few globes and what not, so how that one slipped between the cracks, I will never know, but I have never felt more stupid in my life. Obviously I know the effect the two poles play in terms of magnetism and what not, but it just never clicked for me...soooo dumb.

I can understand the thinking behind it, though. 'The sides of a world map would meet, to make a sphere surely the top and bottom must as well.' I bet you're not alone, I bet a few people think this.

So about two years ago my mates and I were just randomly talking about penguins and polar bears (might of been watching Planet Earth or something). When the suggestion/fact came up that Polar Bears only live in the North Pole, while penguins are only in the South Pole. Well...I called bollocks on that and was quite adamant that there was no way that could be true by stating, "Feck off, there is no way that is true, what would stop a penguin/polar bear from walking a couple of feet to the other pole!?" After that statement I was met with the most confused stares ever. Digging myself deeper, I started to explain, obviously since the two poles are connected, penguins/polar bears meeting up somewhere and interacting was inevitable. That's when my whole word was turned upside down and it was pointed out to me that the two poles are completely separate. Don't ask me how I never realized that...I am actually really big into maps and own a quite a few globes and what not, so how that one slipped between the cracks, I will never know, but I have never felt more stupid in my life. Obviously I know the effect the two poles play in terms of magnetism and what not, but it just never clicked for me...soooo dumb.

Apart from your lack of understanding about the North/South poles did what they say turn out to be true? 

I can understand the thinking behind it, though. 'The sides of a world map would meet, to make a sphere surely the top and bottom must as well.' I bet you're not alone, I bet a few people think this.

Yeah I'm sure there might be quite a few who think/thought this. Obviously I know how wrong I was and I guess I just never thought too much about it, but it sure was a bit of a Columbus moment for me.

• Like 1

Before it got weird?  Here is the threads very first post.

Not sure this one has been done before but I thought it could be interesting or funny to know stuff that you might be ashamed of or ordinarily wouldn't bring up.

I'll start with a fairly shameful and disgusting one, when at Uni I got so drunk I was sick in the sink in my room and decided to eat a piece of meat that came out, wasn't till I saw myself in the mirror over the sink that it dawned on me what I was doing.

I disgust me

That is lame, but only because it's Downton!

I've never given Downton a chance. I don't like any of those old-looking dramas. If they did a plot twist, with an alien landing, I'd be more interested.

Which famous people did you blow off?

One was a royal family member. Buts that's all I can say :)

Having read the thread in reverse order I got mightily excited at this point, only to be let down on the next page.

I'm a little bit in love with Miss Jones. The missus (not fiance, fiancé, fiancée or financee) knows this and is also aware of the fact that if jenny ever knocks on my door then the gf goes. My replacement is Channing Tatum apparently.

I'm a little bit in love with Miss Jones. The missus (not fiance, fiancé, fiancée or financee) knows this and is also aware of the fact that if jenny ever knocks on my door then the gf goes. My replacement is Channing Tatum apparently.

Putting her appearance completely to one side, she does come across as being the loveliest person. Undeniably one of the most likeable people we've seen on our screens in recent times.