I have a confession to make.....

Houlston

You know when you see a Holiday advert, and at the end they say "Atol protected"?

i.e. it's protected if the company goes bust?

Up until 2 weeks ago (and I do literally mean 2 weeks), I thought they were saying "Adult protected" and that it was for cruises and shit like that, and it meant that you could go and safely know there would be no kids there.

Wasn't until I saw an advert which was clearly aimed at family holidays, i.e. with kids, and it said "Adult protected" at the end that I got confused and googled it.

One of those blindspots I guess. Like a damp squid.

• Like 1

You know when you see a Holiday advert, and at the end they say "Atol protected"?

i.e. it's protected if the company goes bust?

Up until 2 weeks ago (and I do literally mean 2 weeks), I thought they were saying "Adult protected" and that it was for cruises and shit like that, and it meant that you could go and safely know there would be no kids there.

Wasn't until I saw an advert which was clearly aimed at family holidays, i.e. with kids, and it said "Adult protected" at the end that I got confused and googled it.

One of those blindspots I guess. Like a damp squid.

Ha ha damp squid!!

A mate of mine thought that a left handed boxer was a 'south port'.

So about two years ago my mates and I were just randomly talking about penguins and polar bears (might of been watching Planet Earth or something). When the suggestion/fact came up that Polar Bears only live in the North Pole, while penguins are only in the South Pole. Well...I called bollocks on that and was quite adamant that there was no way that could be true by stating, "Feck off, there is no way that is true, what would stop a penguin/polar bear from walking a couple of feet to the other pole!?" After that statement I was met with the most confused stares ever. Digging myself deeper, I started to explain, obviously since the two poles are connected, penguins/polar bears meeting up somewhere and interacting was inevitable. That's when my whole word was turned upside down and it was pointed out to me that the two poles are completely separate. Don't ask me how I never realized that...I am actually really big into maps and own a quite a few globes and what not, so how that one slipped between the cracks, I will never know, but I have never felt more stupid in my life. Obviously I know the effect the two poles play in terms of magnetism and what not, but it just never clicked for me...soooo dumb.

• Like 4

So about two years ago my mates and I were just randomly talking about penguins and polar bears (might of been watching Planet Earth or something). When the suggestion/fact came up that Polar Bears only live in the North Pole, while penguins are only in the South Pole. Well...I called bollocks on that and was quite adamant that there was no way that could be true by stating, "Feck off, there is no way that is true, what would stop a penguin/polar bear from walking a couple of feet to the other pole!?" After that statement I was met with the most confused stares ever. Digging myself deeper, I started to explain, obviously since the two poles are connected, penguins/polar bears meeting up somewhere and interacting was inevitable. That's when my whole word was turned upside down and it was pointed out to me that the two poles are completely separate. Don't ask me how I never realized that...I am actually really big into maps and own a quite a few globes and what not, so how that one slipped between the cracks, I will never know, but I have never felt more stupid in my life. Obviously I know the effect the two poles play in terms of magnetism and what not, but it just never clicked for me...soooo dumb.

Haha that is pretty weird :D

So what did you think the poles were? (I'm not taking the piss, genuinely interested. I love this kind of stuff)

So you thought the North and South pole were both at the North pole??

Haha that is pretty weird :D

So what did you think the poles were? (I'm not taking the piss, genuinely interested. I love this kind of stuff)

Haha no, that was a moment of absolute idiocy, so feel free to take the piss, people thought I was actually joking, that's how stupid I sounded. I just thought basically that both the poles were in Antarctica and at the North and South points of it. And to make it weirder, and I still don;t understand how my mind thought this, I thought that Antarctica was both at the top of the globe and on the bottom. So hard to explain.

So you thought the North and South pole were both at the North pole??

Basically. Haha

I'd been thinking of starting a thread of Obvious things that never dawned on you, based on one I've seen on another forum but wasn't sure If I'd be the only person who'd admit to not knowing stuff.

I only just recently realised that condemn and condone aren't the same word and mean different things.

I'd been thinking of starting a thread of Obvious things that never dawned on you, based on one I've seen on another forum but wasn't sure If I'd be the only person who'd admit to not knowing stuff.

I only just recently realised that condemn and condone aren't the same word and mean different things.

Yeah I've thought this too in the past.

I think we might have had one once upon a time... or maybe it was actually this thread before it got... weird.

• Like 1

Before it got weird?  Here is the threads very first post.

Not sure this one has been done before but I thought it could be interesting or funny to know stuff that you might be ashamed of or ordinarily wouldn't bring up.

I'll start with a fairly shameful and disgusting one, when at Uni I got so drunk I was sick in the sink in my room and decided to eat a piece of meat that came out, wasn't till I saw myself in the mirror over the sink that it dawned on me what I was doing.