Midfield Selection

AndyBM

I really hope we see a totally new look midfield next season, of the 14 or so midfielders we have now only a few are worth keeping imo.

I know this will be a bit Football Manager as it's harder to get rid of players irl, but anyhow here's my 2 cent

Keep:

Sylla - Considering he came from League 2 in France in january he's done well, rotation player

Westwood - Neat and tidy, same as with Sylla he's handled the step to the PL very well. Will be a starter next season to

Delph - 3 months ago i'd have said good riddance but after a strong spring i'd give him another season, rotation player

Carruthers - Next Gen captain and winner says it all really, hopefully he'll be given more opportunities next season

Gardner - "the next one" will hopefully stay fit and develop into a good player

Herd - cheap and versatile

Sell/Get rid:

NZogbia - To expensive to keep on the bench, not consistent enough to rely on. I can see Monaco trying for him

Holman - With the World Cup coming up i think he'll wan't to leave to get playing time, that's fine with me.

Ireland - Will be hard to shift due to wages but if he's not playing it's a must even if we have to pay a % of his wages

Makoun - Done deal to Rennes?

Petrov - He's retired but i hope we can find a role for him at the club if his health allows it.

Undecided:

El Ahmadi - A fringe player who'll wan't regular football with the World Cup coming, Lambert might wan't to keep as it's one of his, but if an offer came in...

Bannan - "the best crosser in the game" sic* and a Villa product, but maybe it's time to move on?

Albrighton - He's the only senior wide player in the squad (althou i think that's where Bennet will end up) but limited and not developing 60/40 keep

Imo we need 1 ideally 2 quallity midfielders who'll walk straight into the starting 11 to play alongside Westwood, and then it's just the defence that needs sorting out... 

I'd change all those "Undecided" ones to Sell/get rid to be honest.. KEA might come good second season but if we got an offer for him i'd sell for sure.

I think we'll struggle to shift Holman and Ireland on.. N'Zogbia maybe a french club will come in for him.

I can see a midfielder or two coming in anyway

Keep: Westwood, Sylla, Delph, Albrighton, Bannan, Herd, KEA

Sell: Ireland, N'Zogbia, Makoun, Petrov, Holman

Loan: Carruthers and Gardner

Don't know names and wouldn't like to guess with Lamberts transfer policy, but a good winger to offer something different to the current crop and someone who can play the 'Ireland' role efficiently.

key:

ACM

DCM

BCM

Ireland  -  Shit ACM

El Ahmadi - Shit BCM

NZogbia - Shit ACM

Holman - Shit ACM

Westwood - DCM

Delph - BCM

Makoun - BCM

Sylla - BCM

Petrov - DCM

Bannan - Shit Deep-Lying Playmaker

Herd - DCM

Gardner - BCM

Carruthers - ACM

Problem with our midfield is there are too many players without a very clear job role and aren't really great at any one aspect of the midfield roles. Ahmadi, Sylla, Makoun, Delph, Bannan and Herd dont really have like an 'Oh well atleast we have them in the team to....' type attribute.

Westwood and Petrov will keep the ball and keep the game ticking,

Nzogbia will run at players and try to take them on

Gardner has a big engine and will make those late runs in to the box.

A lot of the others dont really have something like that. I've liked what I've seen from Delph and Sylla a lot this season but other than the inevitable leg breaker from Delph theres no one great praise I can lump on him and say 'He does this brilliantly a lot'

Wouldnt mind losing all those in Bold from the squad before the start of next season. (Obviously I'd love to keep Stan but I can only assume he will announce his retirement this summer)

Edited by HalfTimePost

Â