Midfield Selection

AndyBM

You also forgot to add albrighton,

Didnt realise we could put out a full team and a few subs with that lot.

Think we would be lucky to get £15M for 14 players lol

God no wonder we are shite!

Edited by sutherland

Yep, I genuinely dont know why anybody is saying its over the top to say its awful and in the worst midfields ever in the premiership.

Because it's a ridiculously over the top, sensationalist statement. Unless you look at all the midfield's over the course of the 21 years, you can't possibly say that. My example with the 63 relegated teams is a starting point. There seems to be a simplistic view that 'if you're bottom 3, you have the worst players' which is shared by some posters, yet when question their sensationalist viewpoints, it becomes 'Were those relegated midfields really the worst in the league?'

Woodytom, you said it yourself in the Westwood thread that because of where we are in the league, Westwood can't have had a good season. Yet you're refuting that simplistic point when someone challenges you in here.

It's like when people say, 'this is one of the worst seasons in our history'.  Unless you've studied every season for over a hundred years, you can't possibly say that.

You can't have it both ways.

Yep, I genuinely dont know why anybody is saying its over the top to say its awful and in the worst midfields ever in the premiership.

Because it's a ridiculously over the top, sensationalist statement. Unless you look at all the midfield's over the course of the 21 years, you can't possibly say that. My example with the 63 relegated teams is a starting point. There seems to be a simplistic view that 'if you're bottom 3, you have the worst players' which is shared by some posters, yet when question their sensationalist viewpoints, it becomes 'Were those relegated midfields really the worst in the league?'

Woodytom, you said it yourself in the Westwood thread that because of where we are in the league, Westwood can't have had a good season. Yet you're refuting that simplistic point when someone challenges you in here.

It's like when people say, 'this is one of the worst seasons in our history'.  Unless you've studied every season for over a hundred years, you can't possibly say that.

You can't have it both ways.

What are you talking about?

Forget the table position. You can be high in the league and have a poor strike force, yet you can be low in the league and have a good one. I understand that the league position doesn't determine everything.

I don't need to study all of the 21 years at all. It is without doubt that the midfield has under performed by some distance. And it is without doubt that they are one of the worst midfields in the league, if not the worst. Thats unquestionable. They have been atrocious.

Now, I appreciate that a lot of teams have played in the premiership and for that reason it would be naive and wrong of me to say that its the worst ever.

However, by saying 'one of the worst' my point is valid imo. 'One of the worst' means in the lower echelons. So, I will explain again - and hopefully you might progress the debate instead of just resorting to your initial point (regardless of how many times people challenge it).

There have been 420 midfields in premiership history. So, to be one of the worst you do not have to be in the bottom 2 or 3. Not even 63. You could quite easily be the 100th worst and still be in the lower echelons.

I actually think they are a lot worse than what I am about to explain but for arguments sake:

I have absolutely no doubt they are within the 100 worst midfields in premiership history. I come to this conclusion through sheer common sense and elimination really.

Start with 420. Have Man Utd ever had a worse midfield during their premiership history - No! Right, minus 21.

Were on 399 possible teams with better midfields than our current one.

Have Arsenal? No! - Right minus another 21

Have we? No! - Right 358 

and so on..............

Now obviously you run out of guaranteed teams with better midfields and the focus on 'opinion' becomes greater. You might get teams like Everton, who have had a few bad midfields (thats not to say they are definitely worse btw) but have had lots who are without doubt better than ours. 

Slowly but surely, through elimination, a bit of common sense, a realistic view on our current midfield, and a decent knowledge of premiership history you would windle it down to at least 100 - leaving us in 'the worst' bracket.

And that is why I dont believe its a sensationalist view! Being honest with yourself and accepting how atrocious they have been actually makes it a pretty safe and obvious view tbh. They have been awful.

Now that is my opinion. If you disagree, fine. If you have a debate to argue that (thats different to what you have posted over and over again) - great, Il look forward to it and Il guarantee that should I feel Im wrong, Il admit it. But if your just going to repeat that its a sensationalist view with no argument to support it or resort back to your insults in saying I have no fundamental knowledge of football then don't bother because Im not particularly interested.

• Like 1

Bottom hundred, one of the worst? That is massively clutching at straws.

The very phrase, 'one of the worst' does not indicate such a huge sample size.

Flip it the other way. You're not 'one of the best' if you're top 100. That's absolutely ludicrous.

Bottom hundred, one of the worst? That is massively clutching at straws.

The very phrase, 'one of the worst' does not indicate such a huge sample size.

Flip it the other way. You're not 'one of the best' if you're top 100. That's absolutely ludicrous.

Well I did say that I was making the sample size larger for arguments sake. But the sample size is relevant because the sheer number of teams is huge!

FWIW though, what pigeon hole would you put the 100th worst midfield out of 420? That would make over 75% of the midfields better than you. So thats in the bottom 1/4. At what point do you begin to be classed as one of the worst?

Is a team that comes 16th in the league classed as one of the worst? Because they have a smaller percentage above them than that of being placed 100 out of 420!

Edited by Woodytom

Final game of the season v Wigan will be won or lost in midfield. Prob why we got beat well by them earlier in season, as our MF is weak. Worrying.

Though in saying that we seem to do well v teams who have a poor MF... Such as sunderland and Norwich

Final game of the season v Wigan will be won or lost in midfield. Prob why we got beat well by them earlier in season, as our MF is weak. Worrying.

Though in saying that we seem to do well v teams who have a poor MF... Such as sunderland and Norwich

and Liverpool

and Liverpool

Liverpool have a bad MF ?! 

Can't bear to do it just at present but I suspect if you did a similar exercise with the defence it would look more scary but similarly depressing.

Forwards might be a bit brigther but the squad is heavily tilted towards Benteke's goals and assists so that might also look concerning.

Can't bear to do it just at present but I suspect if you did a similar exercise with the defence it would look more scary but similarly depressing.

Forwards might be a bit brigther but the squad is heavily tilted towards Benteke's goals and assists so that might also look concerning.

Without Benteke I think we would be cut adrift.

Love Weimann and Gabbys started to pick up a bit, but their just not on the same level. Bent would have scored a few of course but I think its Benteke's sheer presence thats made the difference.

interesting point about being within the bottom 100 midfields, id like to see what PL would think of that tbh

id also like to see where within that 100 we would actually come, but thats taking in account our other 21 Midfield set ups, and its very unlikely any of those will be below the current one, although i guess it would be very difficult, near impossible to work out were the midfield would be, i guess interceptions, goal assists etc would have to be taken into consideration? this might even be a too big a job for even the best stat-head

could we say that our midfield is slightly better than the previous 21 season relegations? thanks 63 teams, although for the likes of small heath who have bounced up and down, god forbid if any of their selections are better than ours :(

Â