Miwdeek Footnall, 23-25 April 2013

Troglodyte

Why are Bayern are replacing their manager at the end of the season? 

He is retiring. He turns 68 next week, though for the last couple of months (and certainly on TV last night) people are reporting he has either changed his mind or didn't want to retire all along and Bayern have forced him upstairs.   There is probably an element of truth in that but I guess if Pep was available this year and Bayern had a manager who is quite an old man in charge then they probably felt the need to move quickly.  What if they kept Heynckes for another season and he decided to retire next summer but the managerial merry go round had seen Pep go to Manchester City and Mourinho go to Chelsea?  

Why are Bayern are replacing their manager at the end of the season? 

I think Jupp Heynckes wants to retire at the end of the season. Although he has said he'd consider coaching in England or once more in Spain before he retires completely.

--EDIT--

The Reverand said it better :D

Edited by 8pints

Is that 26 wins in 27 games for Bayern?

24 in 25 according to this

My mistake. There are alot of high scoring games on that list and only lost 3 times all season across league and cups. Crazy.

Unbelievable stuff from Bayern.

I said they'd win, because they're brilliant, but I never expected a result like that.

Now I'm a fan of Barca, I love to watch them play and don't have any of the hate that some people (on here especially) have for them. But I must admit I did take some pleasure in seeing them get totally spanked.

The result wasn't even the most shocking part. It was just how easily they stopped Barcelona playing. Wasn't even a 'Park the bus and counter attack' policy like Chelsea did, it was just organised midfield, press them high up the pitch and don't let them get near the goal. Barcelona didn't look like scoring all night - it really was a humiliation of a football game.

Tie isn't over yet though, Bayern still have some work to do.. Barcelona at the Nou Camp can still score 5 so Bayern can't go to sleep. Barce not getting an away goal could be crucial though.

Bayern just crushed them. They took the Real Madrid approach and added their own game to it to devastating effect

Barcelona have been average for quite a while. Milan and PSG should have knocked them out in previous rounds and they lost to Celtic. I said before Gerard Pique is just a poor defender and last night proved it again.

they need reinforcements and tell MEssi to take rest of season off as he shouldnt have been on that pitch last night

They did look shattered (and have done for a while), but the game plan has been found out. Teams don't need to park the bus and sneak a win anymore, they can play football and score goals against them, because, when Messi isn't fit, Barca aren't direct enough, they just piss about with the ball, create nothing, and struggle.

I think they need a few fresh faces to take the burden off Messi, and a defender or two who can win a header.

another thing is what has happened to Fabregas, most games I saw him and he has been dreadful. His decline is close enough to Torres for me. Is it they looked good in average teams or just the move has killed them as not the star player anymore

its not as bad as torres, his position has changed, he plays a no 10 role, played 27 league games, 10 goals and 10 assists according to wiki, i dont think he fits the shape of the team, would like to see him play the role he did for arsenal

still he's been better than alexis this year who has been utter shite, i think thiago has been a bit disappointing too, ballague summed it up last night, barca are very poor from the bench at the moment, either dont use subs, havent got a great line up on the bench or their subs have very little impact

was against a team with Alan Hutton in defence. Not the benchmark of great form ;)

the goal tally looks impressive BUT when watch him play for Spain and Barcelona he seems lost and disappears a lot from games

was against a team with Alan Hutton in defence. Not the benchmark of great form ;)

the goal tally looks impressive BUT when watch him play for Spain and Barcelona he seems lost and disappears a lot from games

True!!

Edited by turnbull

I can understand that people aren't fans of Barcelona, but some of the responses to their loss are way off the mark.  They do have quite a few problems, but the abilities of Piqué, Jordi Alba and Fabregas aren't amongst them.  Cesc's form has been patchy, considering the high standards not only of Barça but those that he's set himself, but he rarely plays in his natural position (or, for that matter, the one he's expected to fill in the future: the role of Xavi).

The lack of a decent centre-back to partner Piqué was a massive issue last night.  Barça have needed a new defender for a while, but they probably didn't expect to have Puyol, Mascherano and Adriano all out injured.  I know that the latter is still inexperienced at centre-back, but he's played very well in that position when called upon, and I think he would have been an improvement on Bartra.

Adding to that, Messi clearly wasn't fit.  However, if he didn't start and Barça still lost by the same scoreline - which is entirely feasible - many would have been pointing out that it was surely worth the risk if he was available.  Busquets wasn't fit either, and that makes a huge difference, but seems to have gone unnoticed.  Once again, the club's transfer policy comes into question here, as Song simply isn't at anywhere near the same level.  Other players did look fatigued too, as has been pointed out.  Iniesta was amongst them: despite Bayern's excellent pressing and organisation, a fully fit and on-form Iniesta is practically unstoppable.

I was surprised that Alexis started ahead of Villa, too, as he hasn't had much confidence all season.  There's a very good player in there and he's still shown it at times, but his instincts just aren't right and he's over-thinking far too much.

Still, all that aside, Bayern were on fire last night.  They have some wonderful players, many of whom put in the shift of their lives.  They played selflessly, confidently and, above all, very effectively.  As much as I dislike them, they were brilliant, and exploited the various weaknesses of the side that were put in front of them, and then some.

I just hope that Dortmund can get a result tonight!

Â