Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

regular_john, on 23 Apr 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Anything less than a win will make the Wigan game on the last day if the season the decider. Given their history of last minute escapes I wouldn't fancy us to get the result.

Basically, lose this and we're as good as down.

Yep, when we lose this Wigan will automatically accumulate more points than us by at least 3 during the last few games. Seriously, get a grip.

Saying we are as good as down if we lose is as daft as saying we are as good as up if we win.

We probably need 2 wins from the next 4, Sunderland (h) - winnable, Norwich (a) - winnable, Chelsea (h around heavy fixture congestion) - winnable, Wigan (a week after the cup final) Winnable.

Edited by Woodytom

regular_john, on 23 Apr 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Anything less than a win will make the Wigan game on the last day if the season the decider. Given their history of last minute escapes I wouldn't fancy us to get the result.

Basically, lose this and we're as good as down.

Yep, when we lose this Wigan will automatically accumulate more points than us by at least 3 during the last few games. Seriously, get a grip.

Saying we are as good as down if we lose is as daft as saying we are as good as up if we win.

We probably need 2 wins from the next 4, Sunderland (h) - winnable, Norwich (a) - winnable, Chelsea (h around heavy fixture congestion) - winnable, Wigan (a week after the cup final) Winnable.

I would definitely agree with us needing 2 wins. We have to get all 3 points against Sunderland, especially being at home, and we've already beaten Norwich at Carrow Road this season. The most I can see us getting from Chelsea is a draw and Wigan will be a very tough game being the last of the season, away, to a team that will want the points just as much if not more than we do dependent on how things look by then.

Thing is, I don't know if we will get all 3 points on Monday, in fact I don't know if we will get any at all. I can actually see Sunderland edging it, we can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives and they have good attacking options just like we do, only difference is their defence isn't too shabby (-7 goal difference). We also have a horrible record at home this season.

I'm going to predict a 2-1 loss, with us going in front first, although the positive side in me hopes for the score to be the opposite way round with a 2-1 win.

At least we have the advantage of the other teams around us playing before us this weekend. I think its an advantage anyway especially if Wigan loose, it may take a little of the pressure off the players.

*Devils advocate*

If Wigan win, it could have the reverse affect though. Especially for the fans who would be nervous as hell if Wigan beat Spurs...plus they will still have their game in hand

Edited by roonst83

I think taking 4 points from our next 2 matches will be enough to see us safe...just. (I even think we might nick a point against Chelsea?! or is that just the beers talking?)

I think Wigan will lose to both Spurs and Arsenal- conceding a fair few in the process, thus making their goal difference worse than ours and I don't think they will have enough to catch us in the end.

For the Sunderland game I'd go:

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Baker

Sylla Westwood Delph

Weimann Benteke Gabby

And if we play to the best of our ability, I think we will get 3 points in the bag.

Come on you Villa boys!

This has become a ridiculously important game. Bit worried that Bentekes goals have dried up a bit. Hopefully he will return to form for this one.

I'd start Bent for this one if 100% fit. Plenty of motivation.

Edited by Morpheus

For the Sunderland game I'd go:

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Baker

Sylla Westwood Delph

Weimann Benteke Gabby

Pretty much agree with this set up. Although I wouldnt be too surprised to see Bowery thrown in as he was against Stoke.

Ps, anyone know what's happened to Bannan? He's completely disappeared from the squad of late.

This has become a ridiculously important game. Bit worried that Bentekes goals have dried up a bit. Hopefully he will return to form for this one.

I'd start Bent for this one if 100% fit. Plenty of motivation.
In place of ? Weimann ?