Relocating to Birmingham

Voinjama

• 4 weeks later...

Northfield makes Hall Green look like Dubai.

LOL. Northfield boy here. I can confirm that it is quite grim, although it's improved in recent years.

Ironically my parents are very middle class. They just made the fatal error of buying a nice house without examining the area.

We're looking for a detached 3 bed for around £190-200k, with good schools for the kid(s)

Four oaks and Walmley have come up the most so far

I was born in Sutton and lived there until I moved to uni. I haven't looked at house prices in quite a while but I'd be utterly amazed if you could find a 3 bed detached in Four Oaks for that price. Walmley may well be your best bet but even then you may have to compromise on a semi-detached or something like that. Good luck!  

We're looking for a detached 3 bed for around £190-200k, with good schools for the kid(s)

Just seen this.

Lol no way are you going to get a detached 3 bedroom house in four oaks on that budget fella. NO CHANCE... Walmley I doubt it very much too. Hell even boldmere the houses are £300k

With that budget I think you'll have to consider kingstanding, new oscott, the Lyndhurst, Erdington. Living the dream.

Edited by donnie

I'd probably last less than that but I figure it wouldnt be a bad place for six months if you are travelling light and move about often.  Voinjama seems to move around quite a bit so I'm guessing he isn't going to be in Birmingham forever and he probably doesn't have a ton of furniture to lug around.  In that instance paying for a postcode isn't actually a terrible idea.  

He's probably only got a glass coffee table as furniture anyway.....

Generally Sutton Is nice, but it is a pretty big area,most of which is pretty decent, exceptions Falcon lodge which would be probably the area to avoid the most in Sutton, bits of New Oscot and Boldmere aren't great either, Walmley can be a bit hit and miss, as can Newhall, but generally are fine, but because it's a pretty big Town it's hard to characterize it, Walmley feels different to Four Oaks which feels different to Boldmere which has a different feel to Streetly. Schools are pretty good, get a lot of pupils from surrounding areas such as Erdington and Kingstanding going to them. Shopping centre has suffered a bit of decline over the last five years like many towns centres have, fortunately not as bad as nearby Erdington, Most of it has decent transport links, the expection to this being Streetly where public transport can be very hit and miss. Most of sutton's suburbs have local shopping areas larger ones being at Mere Green and Wylde Green.

I live in Sutton for a while as a kid, as that's where all my family come from going back to WWI times.  I was back there for about the first time in 20 years last year, and weirdly I still felt like I knew everywhere.  If I ever moved back to Brum, that's where I'd head for.

With that budget try Nechells, Lozells or Perry Barr.

I really don't like south brum. Hall green, Northfield, Longbridge etc are pretty woeful places. The brummie accent is stronger also then north brum. North Birmingham all day long.

Oi! Don't lump Hall Green in with those two dives.

I really don't like south brum. Hall green, Northfield, Longbridge etc are pretty woeful places. The brummie accent is stronger also then north brum. North Birmingham all day long.

and of course St Andrews is in the South, and Villa Park is in the north.

you could probably get a decent 3 bed semi in walmley for around your budget, but for any hope of a detached in sutton think of adding another 30-50k for a bottom end detached. 3 bed semi's can be had in Streetly from about 170k, some of the surrounding areas, if you can source properties close to the Sutton border are worth looking at, so parts of Erdington, Kingstanding, Pype hayes, Minworth can be worth considering. Though I would probably avoid the Lyndhurst (right on the sutton border in Erdington), I grew up there and it used to be a very nice little estate for a council built one, they used to vet who was able to have a property on there, but fortunately we moved away and into sutton when it started to go downhill with the stoppage of vetting and well before it became a complete shithole. they have spent a lot of money 'going it up' not sure how successful they have been in improving the place so I'd be very wary, but i can't remember their being any semi or detached properties on there so that should rule it out anyhow.

Â