Relocating to Birmingham

Voinjama

More trees, its quieter and has less chavs.

Maybe my knowledge is a little out of date but thinking back 8 years I remember there being quite a few gangs - having an unfortunate overspill of dullards from Sparkbrook and the moronic 'Billesley boys'.

Perhaps it has changed. But I still don't see how it's any better than Northfield.

lol you get "gangs" anywhere you go, man up for gods sake

Hall Green will forever be better than Northfield

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-41182088.html

If I had to move into the City it would be something like this. Slap bang in the middle of the financial district which has plenty of decent bars and restaurants. Also not too far to St Pauls Square for more eating/drinking options. Plus there, you are just far enough away from the cesspit that is Broad St

Come to Lichfield. Sure it's nowhere near where you work, but it's nice. Well it's on the train line to Birmingham, take about 35 mins. I know people who do it.

Aye, I used to do it myself. Not so bad in the mornings, **** horrible trying to get home at night. I moved to London to get away from it that journey!

I like Lichfield but it's more like a retirement home than a city. You really do need to drive to escape the monotony.  

Just out of interst, any of you guys renting in Birmingham? What are you paying per calendar month.

I'm not in Brum centre but I pay £525 for a one bed flat in Four Oaks (on the cross city into New St - trains every 10 mins)

I may have to pay £500 a month. I wanted to avoid going that high, because that is London territory prices, but I guess I may have to go there.

Eh?

London prices are £1000+. Last place I rented in Birmingham was £550 a month, for a one bed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm talking about house shares though. But you are right, London prices for your own place are like £850 up

For anyone that cares, will be living in Edgbaston, nice part of Birmingham and still close the centre, broad street, hagley road etc. 

Edited by Voinjama

• 2 months later...

What is Sutton Coldfield like, I've heard good things..

What are the schools like? Shops? Chavvy areas?

It's quite a bit of a way out from where we are but it seems to be more of an affordable version of Solihull

I was in  Sutton Coldfield the other day. It does not feel like Birmingham, kind of has a country feel to it. Like one of those market towns down south. Decent shopping centre and only a 20 minute train ride from the city centre.

Edited by Voinjama

Sutton is frightfully posh. I'd always considered it to be more expensive than Solihull but I must confess I've not looked at prices in years.

Sutton is nice, although don't be fooled into believing it's a universally upmarket area. I remember Sutton once being compared to Kingstanding, but where Daddy bought you a Mini rather than a Nova, and theres definitely times where that feels accurate. Anyone whos been on a night out in Sutton will know that it can definitely be a bit 'rich chav'.

Saying that, it is nice, generally. There are parts that are incredibly exclusive, others which are simply expensive. You can get some very nice houses on the outskirts - I seem to remember Monmouth Drive ending up on an episode of Location Location Location. Enormous house, view of a golfcourse, nice enough area, 5 minutes from Sutton town centre and easily commutable to the city centre.

Generally Sutton Is nice, but it is a pretty big area,most of which is pretty decent, exceptions Falcon lodge which would be probably the area to avoid the most in Sutton, bits of New Oscot and Boldmere aren't great either, Walmley can be a bit hit and miss, as can Newhall, but generally are fine, but because it's a pretty big Town it's hard to characterize it, Walmley feels different to Four Oaks which feels different to Boldmere which has a different feel to Streetly. Schools are pretty good, get a lot of pupils from surrounding areas such as Erdington and Kingstanding going to them. Shopping centre has suffered a bit of decline over the last five years like many towns centres have, fortunately not as bad as nearby Erdington, Most of it has decent transport links, the expection to this being Streetly where public transport can be very hit and miss. Most of sutton's suburbs have local shopping areas larger ones being at Mere Green and Wylde Green.

I've lived in Sutton for the last 20 odd years (was born here as well) and as the post above states, its difficult to characterise it as it is quite a big place.. population of over 100k. Its more a series of little villages around the main town centre. Sutton doesn't feel like Birmingham and most residents wouldn't class themselves as Brummies. 

I prefer the north side of the town, around Four Oaks, but you do pay a premium, as the area is one of the most expensive to live in the West Midlands. Sutton town centre itself is average and needs a shot in the arm. Solihull is far better for shopping.

Schools are meant to be very good and a lot of my mates who have just had kids are thinking of relocating to the area purely for the schools

What area of Sutton were you looking at?

Â