Which Laptop?

juanpabloingram

It's pretty much everything in that video and worse. Windows 8 is the product of taking every good idea about how a UI is supposed to work, throwing it all in a blender and hoping the end result is functional. It isn't. I don't think any interface has ever been so bad, and so hard to use, it's given me a headache. Then Windows 8 came along.

The worst part is that the new secure boot software Microsoft have installed makes it very difficult to install a Linux distro alongside Windows 8, so unless you know what you're doing with OS installs you have no choice but to use their piece of crap software.

It's been posted before in the "Windows 8" thread, but seeing as you asked:

Hmm, most of what he's talking about there is not windows 8, but the metro interface in windows 8. If you use desktop mode then nearly everything is exactly the same as win 7, but with faster boot etc.

FWIW you close metro apps by dragging top to bottom.

You find programs by hitting the start button and start typing the name of the program, which appears google instant style.

I neither love nor hate win 8, but all the PCs I've put it on are desktops (ie nobody uses the metro interface)

Hmm, most of what he's talking about there is not windows 8, but the metro interface in windows 8. If you use desktop mode then nearly everything is exactly the same as win 7, but with faster boot etc.

FWIW you close metro apps by dragging top to bottom.

You find programs by hitting the start button and start typing the name of the program, which appears google instant style.

I neither love nor hate win 8, but all the PCs I've put it on are desktops (ie nobody uses the metro interface)

For most users and all the advertising, Metro IS the UI.

As he asks un the video, how do you know the names of the commands to type in?

As he asks un the video, how do you know the names of the commands to type in?

I don't know any of the commands in Linux either, but it doesn't stop you and Darren from recommending it to me. :P

Pretty much every desktop flavour of Linux uses a launchers where you can select the program you want to run from a hierarchical menu. You don't need to know the name of the program, just like you didn't in previous versions of Windows. Did you watch the video?

If you hit the windows key iirc you can then go to programs and see the whole list (Not at a win8 machine at the mo). Win 8 is very far from perfect  but not so completely broken as the video would have you believe. He spent half an hour on it and gave up because he couldn't work it out. No problem with that, but he could've googled like most normal people and found the solutions. Maybe because he was a techy geek he expected to be able to work it out. He couldn't, so therefore it's the fault of the operating system.

No I agree with you Simon, I'm a relatively normal human being who has only ever used windows on a computer, could find his way around all previous versions without too much hassle and actually quite liked the experience.

Windows 7 was/is comfortably the best yet. Windows 8 is botched. It's **** terrible.

Faster boot times? How slow is your PC to need a faster boot time? Granted my Ultrabook boots from an SSD, but I can go from 0 to wanking in under 20 seconds. Not even enough time to get my pants off (or yes the pâté out blah blah).

Thankfully I bought my laptop just in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Lenovo laptops. I repair computers and always recommend Lenovo as good VFM laptops.

Mine has been beleaguered with minor problems from the get-go (I bought it 1.5 years ago)

Â