Premier League on NBC Sports next season

heid3ster

NBC Announces Details of Premier League Coverage Plans for 2013-14

Premier League Talk has posted about NBC Sports's Premier League Coverage announcement for next season. Link has all the details, but this part caught my eye particularly:

Every single Premier League match will be streamed for free via NBC Sports Live Extra, which is available online and on iPhone and Android devices with authenticated sign-on via participating TV providers (If your TV provider isn’t one of the ones listed below that has an agreement with NBC Sports Live Extra — Comcast xFinity TV, Verizon FIOS, Cablevision or Suddenlink — you’ll need to contact them to urge them to add it before the season starts in August.)

This is the first time I can honestly say I'm happy to be a Comcast subscriber. Over the course of the season, 20 matches will be selected to be shown live on NBC (free-to-air). Several games will be shown live on NBC Sports and Telemundo every weekend.

Now the only question that remains: will Villa still be in the Premier League? Hope so, otherwise this great news will be rather hollow.

The bad news to this good news, is that FOX Soccer is keeping Champion's League games. Which would be fine if they weren't planning on dropping the commentary feed from Martin Tyler, etc. and bringing in their American MMA announcer with no football experience to call all the CL games, or at least the marquee matches. It was a joy to the ears listening to Tyler yesterday call the Bayern-Barca match. Now we're going to hear things like "Messi scores from a PK in the 38th minute!"

• 1 month later...

NBCSN has started showing Premier League World, and I'm pretty sure I saw this spot during the Stanley Cup Final last night

(blink-and-you-miss-it Villa spotting about 4 seconds in?)

Edited by leviramsey

• 3 weeks later...

Shan't miss Fox. For me they just got worse and never had any real idea about what they're doing. The likes of Fox Football Fone in was good at the time, because it was run by real football fans. But they quickly ran from that and had no idea how to replace it. Now we just get repeats and repeats of chumps lge games. As for Fox Soccer News, i stopped watching that years ago, just got sick of listening to people who had little to no idea of the sport they were covering (whats the point of listening to them!?)

As for NBC, I wait with some trepidation. I watch the cycling and Formula One with them. I attempted to watch the London Olympics but was appalled by their coverage and quickly got an English IP and switched to the BBC.

My main probs with NBC is the amount of bloody ad breaks they take (especially in a sport like F1). But that shouldn't really be an issue when show premier league football (surely they wouldn't take a break during play! or would they.. :P )

Also the promise of streaming every premier league match online, I hope they show more than one match on the actual tv channel. i have read some of people who follow other sports who have had trouble logging in online and just cant see the events they want. So hopefully, they'll show more than the one game during the main match days.

Yes, i see they have started showing Premier League World. I really hope they will broadcast Sky Sports News. Thats the one show I tune into every day on Fox.

Which brings me to the last problem with NBC, their schedules can be way off some days if your not tuning in to watch a live show. I suppose it's understandable if they are covering live events, but a few weeks ago, I had to wait 1hr 50mins to watch the show I was waiting for.

Anyway, just my little thoughts. Hope they prove to be good for football!

Also the promise of streaming every premier league match online, I hope they show more than one match on the actual tv channel. i have read some of people who follow other sports who have had trouble logging in online and just cant see the events they want. So hopefully, they'll show more than the one game during the main match days.

Depending on your provider, NBC will also have free (if you're already getting NBC Sports Network) extra channels showing every game live (whether in HD or not is another question).

Yes, i see they have started showing Premier League World. I really hope they will broadcast Sky Sports News. Thats the one show I tune into every day on Fox.

There's basically no chance of NBC picking up SSN. Fox Sports 1 (which will replace Speed Channel this August when Fox Soccer, Fuel TV, and Speed Channel go bye-bye and pick up the football rights FSC still has) might fill their late-night schedule with SSN, since it doesn't cost them anything; SSN is only marginally more mainstream in its sports coverage (there's not much rugby and cricket compared to football) in Australia than America, and IIRC, Murdoch's pay TV sports channels there do show some SSN.

Which brings me to the last problem with NBC, their schedules can be way off some days if your not tuning in to watch a live show. I suppose it's understandable if they are covering live events, but a few weeks ago, I had to wait 1hr 50mins to watch the show I was waiting for.

I would suspect that an NHL game earlier in the evening went to several overtimes (there were a few playoff games that went really deep).

Edited by leviramsey

Thanks for the info Levi. I guess when i saw Premier League World on NBC, i had high hopes that the other Sky programs would soon follow (Sky Sports News, Premier League Review Show). But as you say, there's a chance SSN may get aired on the new Fox channels. If not, I'm sure i'll soon get over it! :P

I shall keep my eyes and ears peeled to news about the extra channels NBC will make available. Despite the negatives I had with FSC, they did a good job of covering many of the games in the Premier League and more often than not, you could view most of Villa's games (live or not). Just hope I have no problem adapting to NBC's coverage and can watch the beginning of the new Villa boys careers with us.

Premier League World etc. aren't produced by Sky, they're produced by IMG for the Premier League.

NBC will be doing their own Premier League review shows, called Match of the Day and Match of the Day 2, though they've said that they won't be identical to, but "inspired by" the BBC originals. I'm hearing from Stamford that MOTD will be in a 90 minute slot when possible.

That said, NBC is going to do some bullshit coverage: every Monday night will see an hour devoted to just Man Utd and Man City highlights and Tuesday night will be an hour devoted to just Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, and Chelsea highlights, though this may mean that NBC's version of MOTD/MOTD2 will be more even in its coverage than the BBC original.

Edited by leviramsey

I'm not sure I'm going to like NBC's house graphics for at least the main games (commentated by Leicester's own Arlo White)... the bar across the top of the screen doesn't work for football.

A thought: our game against Arsenal has a decent chance of being 12:30 ET on the first Saturday of the season, in which case it would be the first game shown on NBC broadcast.

Fox is also still being coy on whether Fox Soccer Channel disappears... Fox Soccer Plus will also continue and I would expect that SSN would be part of their programming.

Arlo White will be doing the lead commentary with Lee Dixon and/or Graeme Le Saux doing color.

Other games will be with the same Premier League world feed commentators as FSC used (FSC rarely, if ever, used Sky's commentary for PL games).

Arlo White and Rebecca Lowe (who will be studio hosting with Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe)

Arlo White has been working football for NBC since they got MLS... he's worked various sports for the BBC over the years (including calling NFL games for the BBC)... before NBC, he was also the radio and local TV voice of the Sounders

Came in to create this thread. All the game are free to stream both online and on their app too.

This will be amazing.

How "free"?  Surely you have to be some sort of subscriber?

Have to subscribe to a cable/satellite company that has NBC Sports Network and has signed up for NBC Sports Live Extra.

For 75% or so of the US population, they're already paying for NBCSN.

• Like 1

Hello all,

Need some help, American Villans!

Does anyone know what various options will be available for watching Villa in the USA for 2013-14?

First of all, I don't have cable. I only watch TV through Apple TV or online.

Up through the 2012-13 PL season, I semi-happily used Fox's terrible "Soccer2Go" or whatever it was called service to watch most PL games either live or recorded. It cost $20 a month, and served its purpose. You could watch this service on your computer, and if if you had an iPad, you could also push it onto your Apple TV-running telly screen.

As you know, Fox lost its PL deal, and that's gone to NBC. Soccer2Go is pretty much over, and I have let my account die.

Thanks in advance, all!

Edited by limpid

Because NBC is owned by Comcast (cable company), they've basically said that the whole idea of the deal is to keep people from cancelling cable. So there's basically no chance of them offering any sort of streaming service to those who don't have cable/satellite.

Because NBC is owned by Comcast (cable company), they've basically said that the whole idea of the deal is to keep people from cancelling cable. So there's basically no chance of them offering any sort of streaming service to those who don't have cable/satellite.

Very grim. Wow. It's hard to believe we're reduced to such a limited option, but I guess that's business.

The illegal streams will still be up for those in Europe. Those might be your best option.

Been there, done that. It's not ideal, but will used if push comes to shove ...

Is there also an online service you can sign up for directly from Aston Villa?

Â