• Delph
    • Bowery
    • Weimann
    • N'Zogbia
    • Benteke
    • Sylla (for N'Zogbia 68)
    • Holman (for Bowery 69)
    • Bent (for Weimann 76)

Reaction: it's not often I post but feel I have to - I can't believe how poor we are or how generous the comments here are to our team, I admire your half-full view. Yes we are improving but let's face it, we couldn't fail to. Its a sad indictment when Delph is praised so highly, even the "improved" Delph of today would not have got anywhere near our team 4 years ago - a player who just hasnt kicked on and delivered for the club, to me he may just be a decent Championship player at best, his praise just shows how poor our predicament is.

We have a hand full of bright spots in a squad which only offers potential. The jury is still out on Lambert for me, and I think we are deluded to think that we are anything other than lucky to have Benteke this season, as without we would be possibly rock bottom and relegated already. Unless we win against Sunderland or Norwich I feel we will go down, we are well short of what it needs in this division.

[waits for flak]

Whilst Benteke has clearly been very impressive this season, I can't help but think people are underestimating Darren Bent a fair bit. Did Bent's goals not keep us up last season? If we hadn't signed Benteke would we not have played a system that suited Bent a lot more allowing him to score at least a fair percentage of the goals Benteke has this season?

Or shortcomings are an inexperienced defence and a lightweight and inadequate midfield - our forward line is actually one of the best in the prem. The thing is Bent doesn't score the goals (out of nothing) that Benteke does, Bent has been injured (or has sulked) for what seems like half the season. Even if Bent was an ever present, I just don't feel we create anywhere near enough for our forwards? I would love for Bent to stay, and for us to find a way to accommodate him and Benteke but I think we would need two new midfielders of a calibre that we don't currently have.

My first match for a few seasons and my son's first game ever. We should've been two or three up at half-time and Schwarzer pulled off a world class save from Delph I think (maybe from N'Zogbia)?

Stand out players were Baker, Vlaar, Lowton, N'Zogbia and I thought Bowery deserves some credit as he looks a good player. Delph played well in the first half but faded, I think our problem was lack of movement up front as he seemed to be without options.

I don't think Berbatov ran the show, he just looked like the most skilfull player on the pitch. His end product obviously was not cutting, fortunately for us.

Reaction: it's not often I post but feel I have to - I can't believe how poor we are or how generous the comments here are to our team, I admire your half-full view. Yes we are improving but let's face it, we couldn't fail to. Its a sad indictment when Delph is praised so highly, even the "improved" Delph of today would not have got anywhere near our team 4 years ago - a player who just hasnt kicked on and delivered for the club, to me he may just be a decent Championship player at best, his praise just shows how poor our predicament is.

We have a hand full of bright spots in a squad which only offers potential. The jury is still out on Lambert for me, and I think we are deluded to think that we are anything other than lucky to have Benteke this season, as without we would be possibly rock bottom and relegated already. Unless we win against Sunderland or Norwich I feel we will go down, we are well short of what it needs in this division.

[waits for flak]

Yeah, I think you're too negative. We're not that bad. We had a freakishly bad spell around and after christmas that hurt us a lot, but now I think we're pretty decent. But each to their own. Just wanted you to read the bit in bold and then click the link and scroll down. :) And well, Delph is a lot better now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8197493.stm

[waits for flak]

Yeah, I think you're too negative. We're not that bad. We had a freakishly bad spell around and after christmas that hurt us a lot, but now I think we're pretty decent. But each to their own. Just wanted you to read the bit in bold and then click the link and scroll down. :) And well, Delph is a lot better now. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8197493.stm

Ha! Got me there - make that five years ago? (doesn't time fly!) ;-)

Yes I am negative, and yes may be too much so, but I just don't know if we are going to get the chance to see our kids mature - I fear we are the least equipped for a desperate relegation scrap.

[waits for flak]

Yeah, I think you're too negative. We're not that bad. We had a freakishly bad spell around and after christmas that hurt us a lot, but now I think we're pretty decent. But each to their own. Just wanted you to read the bit in bold and then click the link and scroll down. :) And well, Delph is a lot better now. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8197493.stm
Ha! Got me there - make that five years ago? (doesn't time fly!) ;-)

Yes I am negative, and yes may be too much so, but I just don't know if we are going to get the chance to see our kids mature - I fear we are the least equipped for a desperate relegation scrap.

It really does. :) And he was a new signing then, but he played a couple of games that season. And it was in a game against manure that I was really impressed. He's failed to deliver since but I think he's been quite good in the last 5-10 games or so. Just when I started to lose faith in him I think he started to deliver a little. So maybe I should just doubt every player instead of being too optimistic. :)

There is of course every reason to be pessimistic, as long as you're pessimistic in a rational and sensible way and not just saying every player is shite, IMO. But I think there are some bright sparks in our games these days. I think the players' confidences were whot to pieces in that game against chelsea and it took time to get it back again. It hurt us a lot. But now I think we've found our way back. But I'm still worried, no doubt.

It worries me that so many people believed this wasn't a must win game and a point would be decent. Big chance missed here to put a gap between us, Wigan and sunderland. There win yesterday shows this. My only hope is that stoke continue on their poor run, although the pessimistic part of me can see then getting points in their next 2 games. I'm afraid the result makes sunderland even bigger than it already was. However, the optimistic part of me remembers allback scoring a winner against sunderland to save us under the dol days.

• Like 1

Â