The Lions

momo

I have been supporting Aston Villa since 1992, but I have never used and very rarely read the expression 'the Lions' about Aston Villa. Are there any other teams in the Premier League that goes by that name (Wigan, Newcastel)? I just don't understand this from Talking Sport at the Guardian:

Wigan are relieved of league duties this weekend – they take on Millwall in the semi-finals of the FA Cup – but they will not be relieved of the "responsibility of winning". The Lions are 16th in the Championship, five points above the relegation places, and have picked up only eight points from their past six games. That sort of form suggests a team short on confidence and will surely ensure that Millwall employ the tactical combination of a parked bus and counterattacking.

Aston Villa are 16th, but they are only two points above Wigan...

I have been supporting Aston Villa since 1992, but I have never used and very rarely read the expression 'the Lions' about Aston Villa. Are there any other teams in the Premier League that goes by that name (Wigan, Newcastel)? I just don't understand this from Talking Sport at the Guardian:

Wigan are relieved of league duties this weekend – they take on Millwall in the semi-finals of the FA Cup – but they will not be relieved of the "responsibility of winning". The Lions are 16th in the Championship, five points above the relegation places, and have picked up only eight points from their past six games. That sort of form suggests a team short on confidence and will surely ensure that Millwall employ the tactical combination of a parked bus and counterattacking.

Aston Villa are 16th, but they are only two points above Wigan...

Not with you...

When the article mentions The Lions, they are referring to Millwall, not Aston Villa. I can't see where we come into it?

yeah we aren't 16th in the championship either! well, not yet anyway.

i remember "come on you lions" being chanted in the holte end i think. i am talking about 20-25 years ago though :)

Edited by romavillan

Sorry!! Did not see that it was written the Championship!!!

But anyway, I was at a quiz yesterday, and one of the questions was: Which Birmingham based team is also known as the Lions? The answer was Aston Villa. I was a bit surprised, because I have not heard it... so excuse my confusion.. I checked up wiki:

Aston Villa Football Club (pron.: /ˈæstən ˈvɪllə/; also known as Villa, The Villa, The Villans and The Lions)[4]

Edited by momo

Sorry!! Did not see that it was written the Championship!!!

But anyway, I was at a quiz yesterday, and one of the questions was: Which Birmingham based team is also known as the Lions? The answer was Aston Villa. I was a bit surprised, because I have not heard it... so excuse my confusion.. I checked up wiki:

Aston Villa Football Club (pron.: /ˈæstən ˈvɪllə/; also known as Villa, The Villa, The Villans and The Lions)[4]

Well it is on our club crest/badge... I guess that was a hint..

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 2

Lamentable that the glorious lion rampant on our badge is done no justice by those terrible f**cking mascot outfits.  We should just cut out the middleman and release an actual lion onto the pitch at half-time. Maybe have Benteke come out and wrangle him up, for the spectacle.  Just picture it; a razor-toothed death machine charging around the grass (and a lion, too).

• Like 3

They're always using 'The Lions', 'Lamberts Lions', 'the Young Lions' (for our youth teams obviously), and other variations on the OS, I'm not sure how you've gone over 20 years supporting the club without ever knowing that it's one of our names. We are more commonly just 'The Villa', and very rarely nowadays, in the media at least it seems, 'The Villans'. I seem to recall us being referred as 'The Villans' a lot more in the early to mid 90's for some reason though I could be wrong.

We have a lion rampant on our crest - the Scottish lion rampant since William McGregor chose it as our crest if I recall correctly - and a lion mascot and a big lion rampant embossed on the back of our shirts this season. I'm not sure how you've missed it all this time.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

I think the club have done some work to re-introduce 'The Lions' as strongly as they could this season.

They've fell down as it hasn't exactly suited our style of play at all this year.

I've always quite liked it but you don't associate Lions with us as strongly as you the Toffees with Everton or the Gunners with Arsenal.

As a nickname it may slowly work its way in if Lambert stays and the club follow the same marketing direction - and we achieve some success on the pitch. 

I did not say I have never heard it (read: never used and very rarely read)!!! The Villans is the one I have heard and used most, and I was just wondering if it was common among you guys.

Lamentable that the glorious lion rampant on our badge is done no justice by those terrible f**cking mascot outfits. 

:o!

Our mascots are the best in the league! Top quality, all three of them!

I think the club have done some work to re-introduce 'The Lions' as strongly as they could this season.

They've fell down as it hasn't exactly suited our style of play at all this year.

I've always quite liked it but you don't associate Lions with us as strongly as you the Toffees with Everton or the Gunners with Arsenal.

As a nickname it may slowly work its way in if Lambert stays and the club follow the same marketing direction - and we achieve some success on the pitch. 

I see them more as Lambert's sheepish lions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KI_zRwdzy4

Â