Bitcoin

The_Rev

The transactions aren't untraceable, as the tracing of the heist shows.

The extent to which they're traceable depends on the extent to which one utilizes (generally more expensive) countermeasures like tumblers etc.

The major exchanges, due to their visibility make efforts to comply with AML/KYC regs as applicable. That said, there's nothing stopping someone who's willing to sacrifice convenience and a better exchange rate from buying/selling them face to face.

• 10 months later...

Gone a bit quiet all this, thought I'd have a Google. This is from yesterday.

The bitcoin bubble has burst. This was wholly predictable, and the market fallout is now dramatic. In the past two months alone the cryptocurrency’s price in dollars has fallen about 44 per cent, according to coinbase.com. Having peaked last year at about $1,150, it was this week trading just below $330.

Clicky

• 3 weeks later...

I know :) but there is no point taking them as payment if you can't spend them. What's interesting about this is that either the exchange rate is good enough or there are items that solicitors want to buy with bitcoins.

Well, reading through the complaint, it sounds like he wasn't particularly bright. TOR is still fairly secure, he wasn't caught due to technical vulnerabilities. As is usually the case, the weakest point of security is the user.

If he'd behaved sensibly, they probably wouldn't have caught him, but when you're running the world's most well known drug trafficking site, you shouldn't be asking for technical support on Stack Overflow. And if you have to ask for technical support on Stack Overflow, you shouldn't put in a link to Silk Road. And you DEFINITELY shouldn't do it using an email address with your REAL **** NAME IN IT.

That he was using PHP says all you need to know, really.

Bit off topic but....is there anything wrong with using PHP?

As far as I know when you lock down a server side PHP parser I don't know any methods of hacking in to see what code is being executed

I know :) but there is no point taking them as payment if you can't spend them. What's interesting about this is that either the exchange rate is good enough or there are items that solicitors want to buy with bitcoins.

You simply convert them to a currency of your choice, no?

You simply convert them to a currency of your choice, no?

I'm not sure that was a question, despite your punctuation :)

If they just convert them then why would they bother? It means they have to pay for the currency exchange (and the extra paperwork) rather than letting their clients deal with it.

Well, reading through the complaint, it sounds like he wasn't particularly bright. TOR is still fairly secure, he wasn't caught due to technical vulnerabilities. As is usually the case, the weakest point of security is the user.

If he'd behaved sensibly, they probably wouldn't have caught him, but when you're running the world's most well known drug trafficking site, you shouldn't be asking for technical support on Stack Overflow. And if you have to ask for technical support on Stack Overflow, you shouldn't put in a link to Silk Road. And you DEFINITELY shouldn't do it using an email address with your REAL **** NAME IN IT.

That he was using PHP says all you need to know, really.

Bit off topic but....is there anything wrong with using PHP?

As far as I know when you lock down a server side PHP parser I don't know any methods of hacking in to see what code is being executed

That one chooses PHP as their implementation language should in general be taken as a sign they don't know what they're doing.

Yes Facebook and Wikipedia are in PHP. In both cases, they've had to hire massive teams of programmers to wrangle it; in Facebook's case, they essentially resorted to creating their own PHP-like language in order to fix these problems. (That they did this is not a bad thing: I like that it keeps guys like me who work on programming language implementations like compilers employed for big bucks!)

http://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

• 1 month later...

I just bought some. Mostly to see how it works. A fair few retailers have started accepting it here so I might even be able to spend it. Hopefully the rate has risen a bit by then :)

The last time Silk Road was taken down the price per coin dropped to about £70. I was so tempted to buy some but completely bottled it. Soon after they increased to £300 each. 

Seeing as Silk Road is currently down I was hoping for a crash in price like last time but it hasn't happened :(

Edited by PieFacE

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Â