Sons first game match day advice request.

hants-villa72

Taking my son (6) to his first Villa game going for 2 tickets in the lower Holte End good choice??

I must admit I have been a armchair fan for far to long, it's been over 20 years since I have been to Villa Park.

I left the midlands when I was 8 and moved down south as a teenager i used to travel up to some games via train that was in the days of Tony Daley etc!! since then I have to admit I have been supporting on the TV with the odd away game I could get tickets for down south.

Anyway that's the guff out the way I am will be staying with family next weekend in Measham (J11 M42) so will travel to the game from there wondering what sort of time it will take and I shoudl leave depending on if there is anything to do around the ground that a 6 year old villa fanatic would enjoy? also is it best to eat outside the ground or inside?

I don't know the area  at all so would be really grateful for parking advice, I dont mind a walk to the ground if needs be as long as the parking is easy to find maybe a sat nav postcode or something?

Obviously with it being my sons first visit (after moaning at me for a couple of seasons) I want to make it best possible day so would really be grateful for any information that will help.

Cheers

Lower Holte is a weird one. At the top, people stand and chant all game, but in the middle it's very dependant on how it's going and who we're playing. Against QPR, we were standing all game, but against Liverpool I got moaned at by some fair weather spinster for standing (standing in the Holte end, who'd have thought it.). If you want to just relax and enjoy the game, bottom of the lower Holte or North would be your best, but if you want to join in, middle of the Lower Holte or top.

Do you mind paying for parking, or free and a walk?

B6 7AX is the Beiersdorf warehouse that my dad's friend is the manager of. I park there all the time but it's a 15 minute walk to the ground. If you don't mind paying, there's tonnes of car parks right by the ground but you'll pay a fiver.

I'd eat in Lichfield or Sutton before the game then drive to Aston. Lichfield is basically restaurant city and is a 20/30 minute drive to the ground. Lichfield is WS14 postcodes or just search Lichfield in your SatNav

See you at the game, you might be by my seats in the Lower Holte :)

Where abouts in sunny Hampshire are you from mate? I'd advise that the Holte End and lower North Stand aren't the places to take kids in all honesty, I was six when I attended my first game and my Dad took me in the upper North Stand and we varied from there and the Trinity Road Stand (only two tiers in those days!) until I graduated to the Holte End in my teens. So either the Doug Ellis, Trinity or upper North are your best bets, there are no bad views of the pitch at Villa Park anymore anyway. As for eating, either head into the city centre or stop off at Sutton Coldfield or Lichfield on your way in, depending on how much time you have on your hands. My old man took me to Villa Village and bought me some merchandise on my first game and I remember how huge it seemed at the time, so maybe take him in there. Also, I think Saturday is a "family fun game" so there should be plenty of stuff for youngsters to do if you're at the ground early.

The game against fulham is a family fun day so there will be bouncy castles , face painting etc in the indoor academy building , as for getting to the game the best way is down the m42 on to the m6 north then come off onto the aston expressway where you will find many carparks off the first exit , i would leave an hour for travel although it will prob be more like 40 min.I personally park at king edwards school just off the expressway £5 buy very secure , then allow a ten minute walk to the ground. If you leave around 1 it will be plenty of time unless you want a pint before the game

Edited by mattyvilla

Thanks for the tips guys, @wedge I am from Andover mate. I will most prob leave about midday I guess and stop and get food on the way that will give us time to mosey about outside and the shop etc don't want his first game to be a rush on the way in.

Got Holt End L5 row G in the end as it was fairly near the front, I took him to the Reading game a few weeks back (in the Reading end) and we was right at the back so was hard for him to make the players out, can't hurt to give it a go, will take the other suggestions on board for other games if the Holte is a bit to much for him, but it says he wants to go and scream his head off! lol.

Dont mind a walk or paying for parking TBH just after something that pretty easy to find as i dont know the area. Dumb question as not being a local but what junction is the Aston expressway? is that the A38 off junction 6?

Cheers again.

Edited by hants-villa72

Dont mind a walk or paying for parking TBH just after something that pretty easy to find as i dont know the area. Dumb question as not being a local but what junction is the Aston expressway? is that the A38 off junction 6?

Cheers again.

You can go one of two ways because there are two exits from the slip road of J6, the A38 and the A38(M).  Hold right and take the A38 (signposted Birmingham N & E) and that will take you directly towards the ground. You can go down the A38(M) towards the city and get off at the next exit too, it's not much further but it is further.  

Getting off at the A38 and going around the roundabout also means you are heading towards Star City.  If you want to get something to eat before the game then that is as good a place as any, plenty of parking there and its a 15-20 minute walk from the Holte End.  I've left my car in there and gone to the game on more than one occasion. 

Edited by The_Rev

Cheers again.

You can go one of two ways because there are two exits from the slip road of J6, the A38 and the A38(M).  Hold right and take the A38 (signposted Birmingham N & E) and that will take you directly towards the ground. You can go down the A38(M) towards the city and get off at the next exit too, it's not much further but it is further.  

Getting off at the A38 and going around the roundabout also means you are heading towards Star City.  If you want to get something to eat before the game then that is as good a place as any, plenty of parking there and its a 15-20 minute walk from the Holte End.  I've left my car in there and gone to the game on more than one occasion. 

Thanks Rev appreicate it!

Interesting that I am also talking my son to his first game against Fulham, we don't live in England but I was born in Brum. It's been four seasons since I last made it to a game.

I was going to ask many of the same questions but the responses have pretty much answered everything, however are there any particular roads around the ground I should look out for that have parking facilities?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting that I am also talking my son to his first game against Fulham, we don't live in England but I was born in Brum. It's been four seasons since I last made it to a game.

I was going to ask many of the same questions but the responses have pretty much answered everything, however are there any particular roads around the ground I should look out for that have parking facilities?

Thanks in advance.

As you get nearer to the ground you will see lots of signs for match day parking. Also there are many "official" car parks sanctioned by Villa. Cost £5-6.

Â