A season of great goals

Foxy1

When was the last time we had so many great goals in one season?

Lowton (twice), Weimann vs Lpool, Tekkers vs Lpool (both), Tekkers vs WBA, Weimann vs Utd, Zog vs West Ham, Holman vs Norwich.

All beauties.

I've probably missed some.

When was the last time we had so many great goals in one season?

Lowton (twice), Weimann vs Lpool, Tekkers vs Lpool (both), Tekkers vs WBA, Weimann vs Utd, Zog vs West Ham, Holman vs Norwich.

All beauties.

I've probably missed some.

Our number of great goals to goals scored ratio must be quite high.

• Like 1

Can you give a definition of "great goal"? Then it would be possible to reflect on this.

We are likely to have had more "great goals" in a season like 2007-8 when we scored 71 goals than 2012-3 when we have scored 35

1992/93, where it seemed that the Villa were having their own little goal of the season competition. 

We had four goals in the BBC shortlist!

Speaking of great goals, I've done my old trick and uploaded the Stoke goals in a handy HD who-cares-about-the-Stoke-chances kinda way. It's hidden away on YouTube if you fancy it.

Thanks very much!

Can you give a definition of "great goal"? Then it would be possible to reflect on this.

We are likely to have had more "great goals" in a season like 2007-8 when we scored 71 goals than 2012-3 when we have scored 35

Of course there is an element of subjectivity here in terms of what is great. I guess I'm talking about team goals with lots of preceeding passes and also shots from outside the box.

Under MON, such as the season you mention I don't recall so many goals of this nature. From memory we scored mainly from set pieces or crosses into the box.

that 07/08 season we had a few good goals especially Petrov vs Derby or the team goal vs Bolton think Barry scored it but most were counters or set-pieces

though 04/05 was probably best with Hendrie, Hitzlsperger and Solano having their own goal of season tournament 

Speaking of great goals, I've done my old trick and uploaded the Stoke goals in a handy HD who-cares-about-the-Stoke-chances kinda way. It's hidden away on YouTube if you fancy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH7aTZQOimE

Not hidden well enough, it seems. Nice thought though, mate.

1992/93, where it seemed that the Villa were having their own little goal of the season competition. 

We had four goals in the BBC shortlist!

great memeroies i was down VP loads during that time

Decent footballing sides always get decent goals.

That's what we've been this season in my opinion. 71 conceded in all comps is worrying though.

Fantastic memories of 92/93. That season and 95/96 under Little my favourite seasons in my time as a Villa fan, no question.

• Like 1

the better quality of goal comes with the style of play IMO.  Look at us under O'Neill rarely scored long rangers, his style was simple, get balls into the box and fill it with players.  We're now trying to become more comfortable with the ball at our feet, i think it's starting to show.

Now if only we can learn to defend over the summer, i'll be very happy.

Edited by VillaGoMarching

• 1 month later...
Â