Sunderland

Richard

58 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Are we still in debt to Lerner then? I don't really know how it works. Surely if he 'loaned' us the £150m or whatever it was on transfers, we still owe him that?

I don't think so. I hope not.
I certainly wouldn't pay £50m for a club that needs to pay that dunce another penny.

I always presumed it died with the sale of the club...:huh:

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I certainly wouldn't pay £50m for a club that needs to pay that dunce another penny.

We do have more clauses (well, Xia does) which need to be paid to Lerner when conditions are met. Promotion within a certain period and then another after a certain period in the prem.

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

So in reality, Lerner paid for those transfers and made no money back on them? He's roughly getting what he bought the club for in the sale, so he'll be £150m or so down.

From what I remember, Lerner began to convert his loans to equity from about 2011 onwards.

As of the 2015 accounts, we had £31m debt. 

I'm pretty sure the rest of the debt was paid off, with Xia paying back an overdraft to HSBC as part of his takeover and then Xia paying Lerner a few more million if certain conditions were met.

7 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Xia paying Lerner a few more million if certain conditions were met.

yeah, i think it was something like £30 extra million on promotion and another £30mill if we stayed in the prem for x years. 

Sunderland would really be in a mess if they went down imo.

Mediocre squad...lots of 30 year old + players and very few they could sell for big money.

They'd be in a lot worse shape than us imo and wouldn't shock me if they went straight down to league one.

On 11/11/2016 at 09:54, VillaChris said:

Sunderland would really be in a mess if they went down imo.

Mediocre squad...lots of 30 year old + players and very few they could sell for big money.

They'd be in a lot worse shape than us imo and wouldn't shock me if they went straight down to league one.

O'Shea, Defoe, and Pienaar are all the 30+ year old players they have...

To put this into comparison, City have Bravo, Sagna, Kompany, Zabaleta, Nolito, Kolarov, Caballero, Silva, Clichy, Fernandinho, and Toure who are 30 and over.

I'd argue that Sunderland need more quality experience.

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

To put this into comparison, City have Bravo, Sagna, Kompany, Zabaleta, Nolito, Kolarov, Caballero, Silva, Clichy, Fernandinho, and Toure who are 30 and over.

And Seb Larsson....

Have to say I'm amazed Cattermole and Anchiebe are both only 28, those were two I had in their 30s as those two made their debuts in 2005-6 season.

When you look at their squad though there's hardly anyone you'd pay 7-10m for. At least ourselves and Newcastle had sellable players, I really don't see that with Sunderland.

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

They have 100m from new tv deal so I think they will be fine...

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

And Seb Larsson....

Have to say I'm amazed Cattermole and Anchiebe are both only 28, those were two I had in their 30s as those two made their debuts in 2005-6 season.

When you look at their squad though there's hardly anyone you'd pay 7-10m for. At least ourselves and Newcastle had sellable players, I really don't see that with Sunderland.

Forgot about Larsson, but yeah I was shocked Anichebe was only 28 as well. Their squad is pretty terrible to be honest. Their defense is especially bad. 

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/11/30/sunderland-owner-ellis-short-puts-club-sale-brochure/

Sunderland owner Ellis Short puts club up for sale in a brochure
Sunderland have denied that owner Ellis Short is actively trying to sell the club, even though he has had a brochure created to advertise the benefits of buying the Premier League strugglers.

Interesting article and I do feel sorry for Sunderland fans. Their owner is nearly as useless as Randy Lerner. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, Demitri_C said:

In the summer before we appointed di matteo??

I genuinely didn't know that Moyes rejected us for Sunderland.

On another note, I certainly won't be worried about having Sunderland down in the Championship next season. Replacing Newcastle and Brighton with Sunderland and Swansea would certainly help our chances of competing for promotion. I think they would both struggle if they came down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

I genuinely didn't know that Moyes rejected us for Sunderland.

On another note, I certainly won't be worried about having Sunderland down in the Championship next season. Replacing Newcastle and Brighton with Sunderland and Swansea would certainly help our chances of competing for promotion. I think they would both struggle if they came down.

Add in Hull who still can't sell the club and the championship will be really weak next season....we really should be getting automatic promotion next season if we can't go up this year.

Â