Sunderland

Richard

38 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I want them to get less points than us.  

That would be hilarious, imagine being a Sunderland fan now you was loving it when Newcastle went down and look how the roles have reversed 

Edited by Demitri_C

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That would be hilarious, imagine being a Sunderland fan now you was loving it when Newcastle went down and look how the roles have reversed 

It's worth pointing out that by avoiding relegation last season, Sunderland even finishing 20th this season will be £60m better off than Newcastle going into next season.  That extra £60m in the right hands should help them massively.  No guarantees, but I'd rather have £60m than not have it.  So for the fans the roles have reversed, but not for the clubs.

In 2016 Sunderland got £71.7m and Newcastle got £72.7m (they had an extra few TV games).

This season Newcastle get £40m in parachute payments and Sunderland under the new Premier League deal will get ~£100m for finishing bottom.  They'll also get ~55% more of a parachute going into next season which will help them even more.  So not only was it the best time to stay up, they're getting the most lucrative season to go down too.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's worth pointing out that by avoiding relegation last season, Sunderland even finishing 20th this season will be £60m better off than Newcastle going into next season.  That extra £60m in the right hands should help them massively.  No guarantees, but I'd rather have £60m than not have it.  So for the fans the roles have reversed, but not for the clubs.

In 2016 Sunderland got £71.7m and Newcastle got £72.7m (they had an extra few TV games).

This season Newcastle get £40m in parachute payments and Sunderland under the new Premier League deal will get ~£100m for finishing bottom.  They'll also get ~55% more of a parachute going into next season which will help them even more.  So not only was it the best time to stay up, they're getting the most lucrative season to go down too.

But then Newcastle will be 60m better off next season than Sunderland?

but I do get your overall point. Lerner the idiot couldnt have relegated us at a worse time 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

But then Newcastle will be 60m better off next season than Sunderland?

No.  And no I'm not going to elaborate either :lol:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Half of their wins last season came against the clubs who were relegated. Now there are not terrible clubs to beat up on. 

Yep. Also as VillaChris pointed out, they normally get a win against Newcastle before Xmas which kickstarts them, and take 4-6 points off them over the season.

56 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Half of their wins last season came against the clubs who were relegated. Now there are not terrible clubs to beat up on. 

That's not actually true.  They won 9 games last season.

Here's a little mini-league of last season's Premier League rubbish

62d67723652e6f5b68cea1749788b2c5.png

and where their points came from...

3044223a34423c061066e96f722b72b2.png

5 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I guess Wikipedia was wrong. I count 3/7 of their wins was against us, newcastle, and Norwich so pretty much 50%

Yes wikipedia is wrong if it's saying 7 wins.  3/9 wins (33%) and 11/39 points (28%)

5 hours ago, BOF said:

all good on paper until you realise Ellis Short is a shitter version of Lerner

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

all good on paper until you realise Ellis Short is a shitter version of Lerner

Apparently he has spent £110m of his own money on them and that doesn't include the purchase price of the club. Another Lerner indeed.  

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Really! You do surprise me. :)

Haha.  I could already see the responses if I hadn't included that blatantly obvious statement :)  If I'd left it at "that extra £60m in the right hands should help them massively" some dangleberry would have followed up with the simplistic "money doesn't mean success blah blah...".  So I pre-empted it by laying out both scenarios, which did the trick :thumb:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Spent or loaned? Massive difference between the two.

I'm not sure but does it matter? if it's a loan against the club then the club is essentially worthless but if he invested the money then he *should* get some of that money back when he does sell up. whatever way you dial it up he's lost a fortune (~£150m) and it has been a terrible investment.

Edited by villa89

11 hours ago, villa89 said:

I'm not sure but does it matter? if it's a loan against the club then the club is essentially worthless but if he invested the money then he *should* get some of that money back when he does sell up. whatever way you dial it up he's lost a fortune (~£150m) and it has been a terrible investment.

Absolutely it matters.

Â