Sunderland

Richard

On 20 July 2016 at 23:28, Villaphan04 said:

probably have to be favorites to go down aside from the 3 promoted sides if Sam Goes. Continues the change at manager position almost yearly for them

They've got a much better squad than a year ago...Defoe was out of favour back then but had a glorious second half of the season so no reason why he can't continue scoring this time.

Kirchoff, Kone and Khazri all did very well for them in the run in.

Moyes would keep them up comfortably...Steve Bruce less so.

Hull look knackered now with no manager and only 13 fit players and Burnley have done little business. Fancy Watford as the third team to drop.

42 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Please please please take Bruce back :lol:

Bruce is now odds-on favourite with some bookmakers to return to former club Sunderland and replace Allardyce, if he does indeed become England boss.

BBC :crylaugh:

Interviewed for the England job, and then maybe swaps 1 relegation battle (Hull) for another (Sunderland)

And the rags wonder why English managers don't get gigs at big clubs :D

47 minutes ago, av1 said:

Interviewed for the England job, and then maybe swaps 1 relegation battle (Hull) for another (Sunderland)

And the rags wonder why English managers don't get gigs at big clubs :D

I don't follow? Sunderland are a much bigger club than Hull with better resources. 

3 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't follow? Sunderland are a much bigger club than Hull with better resources. 

I wasn't really comparing Sunderland to Hull. More about English managers in general, and surprise that he even got an interview with the FA. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I wasn't really comparing Sunderland to Hull. More about English managers in general, and surprise that he even got an interview with the FA. 

I think its a vicious circle though. No top teams will give English managers a chance so they have to scrap around in mid table or relegation battles. 

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

That's what I mean, I don't understand it in to relation as why they don't get chances at good jobs. To me, they don't because clubs are more interested in the proven thing mostly. 

With all the money at stake these days you can't really blame them though pal

When you look at the English managers, Big Sam stood out for the England job. Now i don't want to sound like a hypocrite because I've said in the other thread i think he could do a good job, but when Big Sam is the best the country has to offer it doesn't really say a lot about the rest imo. 

But that's my point. Big Sam is the best in the country because nobody is given a chance. 

Imagine if Klopp never got the Dortmund job? Wasn't given a chance at a top club  and got the Germany job? "lol Mainz manager for Germany". But he was given an opportunity to succeed. English managers will never succeed, because they aren't given a chance to. 

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

But that's my point. Big Sam is the best in the country because nobody is given a chance. 

Imagine if Klopp never got the Dortmund job? Wasn't given a chance at a top club  and got the Germany job? "lol Mainz manager for Germany". But he was given an opportunity to succeed. English managers will never succeed, because they aren't given a chance to. 

Hodgson was at Liverpool

Hughes was at City 

Redknapp was at Spurs 

Sherwood was at Spurs

There have been chances, but the English managers just didn't cut it. 

• Like 1

Sunderland fans despise Bruce...they were chanting "Geordie Bas***d get out of our club" just before he was sacked last time and he's had plenty of digs at them since.

Would probably be similar to McLeish mutiny here if he was reappointed manager for them.

41 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Hodgson was at Liverpool

Hughes was at City 

Redknapp was at Spurs 

Sherwood was at Spurs

There have been chances, but the English managers just didn't cut it. 

some people on here wont like that ;)

• Like 2

Chelsea will never appoint a British manager while Abramovich owns the club...it's widely known he dosen't rate English/british managers one little bit.

Can't see Arsenal going for one either with the playing legacy Wenger will leave.

English managers still seen as tactically inflexible, rabbits in headlights when things go wrong, confused messages from touchline etc for clubs to consider them working with elite players. I think Moyes 9 months at Man. United summed that up.

What an English manager needs to do is take over a mid table ish club and win a trophy or two as that's really what attracts the clubs e.g. who's winning the trophies.

Let's say Eddie Howe moves to Southampton, wins them an FA cup and then next season wins them the europa league, I fail to see how he wouldn't be a major target for the elite clubs as he'd very much be in the spotlight. Would PSG have appointed Unai Emery if he wasn't winning europa league every season?

That's actually how Hodgson got the Liverpool job in 2010, reached the europa league final so his name was very much in fashion.

What's certain is Eddie Howe isn't getting a top job anytime soon finishing 16th every season with Bournemouth even if that's an impressive achievement in itself and they play nice football.

agree its all about achievements, British managers in recent seasons who got big jobs are all on back of good achievements

Hodgson - got Fulham to a Europa final

McLaren - Won Carling Cup and got UEFA Cup final before got England job

Moyes- very solid job at Everton

Arry - won FA Cup

people arent going to just give you a job for your passport. If Pardew had won FA Cup or had got Newcastle to Top 4 he probably be linked with higher up jobs

Â