Sunderland

Richard

I'm sure Big Sam with a few months working with us might've got us a home win v Watford, draws at Norwich (or even a win like he did with Sunderland) and Sunderland themselves and we'd have a fair few more points on the board going into the January transfer window. I'm sure the club would've released more funds then.

• Like 3

Under both managers, our defence just made constant individual mistakes over and over and over again. Every single one of them. Even with looking more "solid" (using that term very very very very loosely) under Garde as a defensive unit. No idea if FatSam would have made our defenders be less st00pid individually. I remember kaboul making constant mistakes before he arrived, was he still making a ton under Sam? Only so much of sunderland i could watch so i dont know

Edited by gharperr

51 minutes ago, Arj Guy said:

I don't think Allardyce would have kept us up. Sunderland have Defoe, we have Gestede

Have to say I fully agree with you here.  Ferguson, Mourinho (any manager to be honest) wouldn't have kept our lot up. You have to have belief, hunger and the desire to do it and Garde realised quite quickly that our group of losers just didn't have it in them.  Also agree that Defoe is the difference down the bottom.  We had Benteke in previous seasons and it makes a hell of a difference if you have a goalscorer. Fair play to Allardyce though he seems to have a way of installing belief in players quickly.  Sick of saying it but we need a big, big clear out and then hope the losing mentality evaporates quickly with a new manager. 

49 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Have to say I fully agree with you here.  Ferguson, Mourinho (any manager to be honest) wouldn't have kept our lot up. You have to have belief, hunger and the desire to do it and Garde realised quite quickly that our group of losers just didn't have it in them. 

It's almost as if it might be the job of a manager and his staff to try and do something about that.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Fat Sam delivers again, to think some on here thought he'd fail. Shame we didn't bring him in over the useless Remi Garde.

I don't think he'd have saved us from where Sherwood left us. We were an utter shambles.

Had he been here from the summer though, I have no doubt Sam would have kept us up. We should have gone for him when Lambert left.

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I don't think he'd have saved us from where Sherwood left us. We were an utter shambles.

Had he been here from the summer though, I have no doubt Sam would have kept us up. We should have gone for him when Lambert left.

We'd have gone down, but with more fight IMO, plus he'd be the perfect manager to get us out of the Championship. Chalk this down as yet another in a long line of shite decisions by this board. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

We'd have gone down, but with more fight IMO

Yep agree with that. He wouldn't have saved us, but we'd be better off than we are now.

But I think most of us knew that at the time!

It's all pointless speculation at this point, but Garde got us 4 points in his 8 games before the transfer window opened. It's not hard to imagine Allardyce doing significantly better than that and being able to buy some players rather than the club just giving up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's all pointless speculation at this point, but Garde got us 4 points in his 8 games before the transfer window opened. It's not hard to imagine Allardyce doing significantly better than that and being able to buy some players rather than the club just giving up.

Significantly better? I'd argue that is hard to imagine.

He might have picked up a couple more points, but this team was broken.

I find it hard to imagine any manager saving us from where Sherwood left us.

Sunderland had problems but spent wisely in the January window, and importantly got the best out of their strikers.

We were unable to back our manager in January, but I think the club resigned itself to relegation already at that point. Our problems are systemic and long-standing, our relegation the culmination of years of mismanagement. I don't think anyone would have saved us.

Also, saving us would have just prolonged the inevitable. If we'd survived this season, I can't imagine things would have improved much next season.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Also, saving us would have just prolonged the inevitable. If we'd survived this season, I can't imagine things would have improved much next season.

Would it have though? I don't see why Sunderland can't replicate something similar to what West Ham have done? Keep Fat Sam for another year or two, get him to build a solid foundation, and then bring in a more "flair" manager to take them on a step further. 

Edited by PieFacE

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Would it have though? I don't see why Sunderland can't replicate something similar to what West Ham have done? Keep Fat Sam for another year or two, get him to build a solid foundation, and then bring in a more "flair" manager to take them on a step further. 

Sunderland might.

We wouldn't. Not with the way we're run.

We'd have probably let Allardyce give us a solid base and then replace him with Dwight Yorke.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Our board couldn't possibly of hired Allardyce without guaranteeing funds for new players. It seems Garde was fine with not getting any cash to spend but Sam would have demanded it.

I think our problem was that the board thought they could re-create Arsenal light version, and that by bringing in Garde that he would have us playing like Arsenal under Wenger. That may have worked if the timing of the appointment was better ie early summer time, but we will never know that so it is a moot point. A more pragmatic choice considering the mess we were in at the time would have been Allardyce, but the doard dallied on sacking Sherwood and we missed our chance.

Allardyce knows how to organise a team, a well organised unit is far harder to beat regardless of the sum of its parts. That would have got us to January with a fighting chance of staying up, where i think he would have done what he has done at Sunderland and bought players to push us on. I highly doubt that Sundrland will be in the bottom five next season if Allardyce stays on. They will be comfortable mid table, it is what Allardyce does. That is why I will never understand why we did not appoint the guy while Lerner is looking to sell the club. Allardyce is a safe pair of hands in my opinion.

• Like 2

Â